Repair guides and support for cars, trucks, and SUVs manufactured by GMC.

Oil Pressure Low Stop Engine

My car is 2010 GMC Acadia I see warning light oil pressure light low stop engine so I check oil level and it seems good and heat not increase also

I cannot answer this, but I was googling this because it just happened to me pulling out of the grocery store parking lot! I pulled into another parking spot because it freaked me out. I turned off the engine, then I checked my oil life, which it said 23%. I proceeded to drive back to work (a few miles) and the warning did not come on again.

Wondering if you got any resolution to your issue or if it was just a fluke.

I'm having the same issue! I took it to have it checked out and they recommend replacing the sensor. I plan on having that replaced. I REALLY hope that's all it is. :(

Anyone have any afterthought on this?

I have the same problem. ive been researching a lot about it. For now, all you can do is add Lucas Oil high mileage to it, it will help a lot for temporary until you can afford some parts.

You would have to replace the Oil Pressure Switch, (its on youtube), that will help also, but it doesnt mean it completely solve the problem, and if it doesnt, then you would have to flush out with kerso. it might be clogged, but the kerso can unclog it

heres the youtube link specifically our problem with oil pressure switch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k0LG_L5A...

very hopeful that ive been somewhat helpful, but im not an mechanic... i am still saving up money before i start fixing my suv following the link ive sent.

best of luck!

Most Helpful Answer

Naif, Heather M , It very well could be a bad oil pressure sending unit/sensor, but better to be safe then sorry and have it checked out right away. If you hear any noises from engine knocking/ticking or if engine is not performing as usual discontinue starting/driving vehicle as there could be a major problem internally of engine. If driveable have the vehicle scanned for trouble codes to see if a failing oil pressure sensor is the issue and have it replaced. Some of the auto parts suppliers offer free code reading like Pepboys, Nappa, Advanced auto parts,etc and some of the guys are very knowledgeable and may have seen the issue often and put you on the right track.

If it is not the oil pressure sensor it could be a more serious problem like a failing oil pump, plugged/ pick up tube fell off, oil filter plugged, etc etc., a good technician will put a manual oil pressure gage on the engine to verify low oil pressure and then have to diagnose why. Good luck. I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

I just had this happen, but it was making noise also. I pulled over, turned the car off, checked my oil, restarted my car, nothing. Drove away, about 1/2 mile did it again, pulled over, turned the car off, called mechanic, drove there, nothing. I just got the oil changed also

Mine is saying low oil stop car I took to have oil changed today, but they were full so I was going home then take it back Monday, but I was almost home it started making a nicking sound then started losing combustion I think is what it's called it didn't want to pull and acted lime it wanted to die I don't think I was going to make it up my up slanted drive way can this be the oil needing changed again I keep it changed everytime it's say it has low oil

big dog wwe If you only change the oil when it says low oil your not changing it often enough and youve probably ruined the motor . Start a new question and include the make and model of car and how many miles you go between oil changes

The same thing has happened to me. My car still starts but the sensor still shows. Everyone keeps saying it’s the engine but I had a mechanic tell me that it could be the oil pump. I haven’t found anything out yet.

I have it in an 08. Drive 10 miles, stop and it goes on at low rpms. Put it in neutral and rev above 1000 rpm and it turns off. Right now rpms control it. For all I know a failing oil pump doesn't circulate oil at low rpms?

Naif will be eternally grateful.