Model A1419 / Late 2013 / 3.2 & 3.4 GHz Core i5 or 3.5 GHz Core i7 Processor

Add a second SSD

I bought the 2013 27" iMac with a 256gb SSD. This is way too small. I have tried attaching a usb 3 drive but it causes problems or inconvenience when I am working with FCP due to the size of the projects.

I understand that this mac uses PCIe connectors. My idea is to leave the current SSD and add a second SSD in the SATA connector. Does that sound feasible ?

Thanks.

This series of iMac's has two drive connections. The first is the SATA III (6.0 GHz) that supports a standard HD. The second is a M.2 PCIe SSD blade drive.

As the configuration you bought was a SSD model you do have the SATA drive location free to support a second drive.

So, yes you could put in another SSD drive but you may find the limits of space will still be present if you don't get a larger SSD. Sadly, the larger SSD drives are costly! A 1, 2 or 4 TB SSHD drive maybe a better way to go. It offers a deep SSD cache, yet it's a standard spinning HD for the deeper storage.

Bear in mind the newer 'Thin Series' iMac's are a bear to open and if you don't use the correct tools and take your time you can damage the display. Follow the IFIXIT guides to the letter otherwise you could have the added expense of a new display assembly!

Thanks, that confirms my thoughts. Would this be than a much simpler diy than in comparison to the one shown here for the ssd replacement where you have to strip a lot down ?

With the SSD, I am intending to use a 1TB one. I imagine that it will still be best to run the PCIe ssd as the system drive and have eg. FCP libraries on the second ssd.

Yes, installing a SATA drive will be the easier direction. The M.2 SSD blade drives Apple uses so far aren't available by the major 3rd parties in larger sizes than what Apple offers. So going into the system that deep won't be worth the work. You'll need this adapter cable: OWC In-line Digital Thermal Sensor for Hard Drive Upgrade for 27" iMacs 2012 and Later for your SSD, SSHD or HD you put in, you'll also need the combo SATA/Power cable. Review the IFIXIT guide: iMac Intel 27" EMC 2639 Hard Drive Replacement

Thanks mate. Two questions about your suggestions.

1. Isn't the power cable already currently attached in the computer even though I do not have a drive in that slot ?

2. Will a guide identify where the thermal sensor cable will connect onto the logic board ?

Thanks.

Apple doesn't supply the un-used combo SATA/power cable in the system. You'll need to order it. The OWC adapter cable is needed here as well as you need to supply a thermal sensor. In this case it's just so the system doesn't go into cooling over drive when it sees the SATA port in use and doesn't get a sensor signal. The OWC doc will explain things.

Thought I would ask here before repeating the same question in a new thread, I am wanting to install a 2.5" SSD and was wondering if someone could give me a list of parts I need (Drive Bays, SATA cables, screws, Thermal Sensors, etc.), as well as where to get them. Thanks.

Dan, I'm still confused about one thing, that is the power cable. The owc thermal sensor link you've shown seems to have an adapter as well. Does that not also supply power. If not, can you suggest an appropriate power cable that will work. Thanks, good to go with everything else.

The adapter is a pass-thru SATA interface design. So it intercepts ALL of the feeds from the HD to the system. If you look carefully the fat red cable is the data cable the other 4 wires are the power. Within the connector going to the system is the feed lines for thermal sensor (Black)

Thanks, so then that assembly will suffice for both power and the thermal sensor ?

There is nothing else needed to fit another party HD or SSD SATA drive into the system.

Great thanks for your help Dan. I'll get started.

Can these two drives be setup as Raid0

Is it possible to add a mount bay for 2 SSD/SSHD drives where the original HD drive is located ?

You have two problems here: First you have limited space (this system is very slim). You would need to wedge in the second SATA drive some where (I don't see where you would find the space). The next issue is finding power for the drive and a means to convert the SSD blade port to a SATA port to connect it. So far I've not seen any way to do either. Basically, this is a dual drive'd system (single SATA drive and a single SSD blade drive) per Apples original design and thats what it is.

Oki, thanks! :)

I was talking to OWC for a couple of months back. About the ssd blade, but they haven't come out with some products yet. Just for the 2012 models. Not 2013late. But, if they do soon.

Do u think its possible then, to have one ssd blade & then ssd in the regular main drive ?

There are a few issues running two SSD's. As I stated above you can't configure them as a RAID as the I/O speed between the SATA & PCIe interfaces are quite different. You likewise can't set up a Fusion drive across the SSD's. So you will have a dual SSD setup. Frankly, I don't see any real benefit doing this. You would get better performance with an external Thunderbolt connected RAID drive set (HD or SSD based).

I think it's going to be awhile before anyone creates a 3rd party replacement SSD. You are likely to find an Apple spare or from a parts system. This SSD will be what Apple sells in size and it will be expensive!

kapps7 will be eternally grateful.