iPhone 6 dead after screen replacement (professional job)

Hi all,

I run a professional phone repair business and have done several iphone 6 with no major issues so far.

Today I worked on an iPhone 6 repair. The repair was going good, had put the new screen on and everything was fine. Just then I realised the home button was not clicking properly, for there were some small glass chips around it; so I decided to remove it again and clean it. I did so without removing the screen ( turned the phone upside down to work on the button). I removed the button flex, cleaned it and put it back in. When I when to test it the screen didn't come on, the power button didn't help either.

I then tried the usual tricks (hold power + home button for 10s, unplug the battery and so). I have removed the screen and put it back, checked all the connectors, have tried with the original screen again and nothing has worked so far. Phone looks as it's dead. I have left it charging (no charging icon) with no luck. I run out of ideas, any suggestions from you wise people?

thanks in advance,

M

Miki did you ever find a solution for you problem with the dead iPhone 6? I have the same problem!

I have this same issue.

Hello miki , I have a small business in N.ireland , I have replaced loads of 6 screen .i have now seen this same issue a few times. Usually it happens within a week or so after the screen change . I have tried everything I know and still haven't found a solution .

Any help here would be appreciated

Thanks Bryan

Guys! I have the same problem. Got a screen replacement 3 days back and iphone 6 suddenly turned off in mid of using. Tried hard reset ,charging , battery everything. Please, guide if any of u came out with a solution. Phone is not recognised by itunes.

i have same problem. I did relace screen. it was power on but while i was replaceing screen i brock home button small connecter so it wasn't installing ios. i replace lcd metal cover with flax and after that it's not powering on.

Is it recognized by iTunes? If so, this is no backlight after screen replacement. In the iPhone 6, this is caused by trace damage from mixing up the screws--aka "the long screw problem"

My guess is that the twisting from lifting the screen pulled up on the screw bracket which tore the traces.

This is going to be the next epidemic in iPhone problems....

jessa

hit up my biz if you need it solved.

Thanks for the post Jessa. I surely didn't mix the screws. The iphone is not recognized by itunes, there's no activity at all. Definitely not a backlight problem.

So, this issue of tearing the traces, what does it cause? Dead backlight or dead phone?

regards,

Miquel

so a sudden no power issue in iPhone 6 where it was working before. Has the phone ever seen water? This is an unusual failure out of the blue. Disconnect/reconnect battery, feel for heat. measure with multimeter to see if you can register any voltages in the phone. report back

Hello Jessa.

I always watching your videos and I really like them to much. I'm pleased with your explanation and its always helps for find out new things. My question is: can you find the ways for damaged traces? I mean one and second end for each traces on PCB. Somewhere they must start and and?! I was trying repair traces but unfortunately I messed up and two traces is completely lost. I think find the and points and do external bridges. Please help me with this, can you send me the scheme, diagram or picture where its can be shown the end points of each traces. Please please help! Thank you very much in advance. My email is zazachokheli@yahoo.co.uk.

mapping the traces in the board is a nightmare, but it can be done. buy a bare board from China, then use a fiberglass tool to sand it down to the traces you are trying to map. Then get a multimeter in continuity mode and connect one end to the trace and run the other probe all over the board listening for a beep.

If you are going after iPhone 6 long screw damage, most of the traces through the screw holes originate under one of the big bga chips so a jumper solution is not a real option. Best to just scratch back until you find a tiny nub of the original trace to connect to.

Good luck!

Jessa

can yhu help me with my question i just posted my names tyric

Disconnect the screen, check the whole screen for any faults.

Disconnect the battery, wait for a while the reconnect the battery and then reconnect the screen

If that doesn't work then I've got no idea.

I've only ever done like 10 iPhone 6 LCD repairs but they've always been so smooth and no problems whatsoever

It is worth checking the screws for LSD.

The bottom 3 screws should be smallest

top right should be big, top left should be bigger then the bottom 3

i had exactly the same problem, phone was dead after screen replacement. Then i put old screen again, unplag the battery, push the power button to uncharge the phone and plug in the battery again. Then phone turned on, then without close the phone i put the new screen again and worked for one day, same problem appeared. I then put the old broken screen back and phone working fine for two days now

IT WORKEDDDD. Thank you so much

If you unplugged and plugged the screen cables while the battery is plugged in that's an easy way to blow up a backlight filter which ends up being a bigger problem requiring board level repair as the filter would need to be replaced.

I know but it was the only way I could start the phone working again. I didn't turned off the phone but when I replaced the lcd it was on sleep mode, no lcd image.

Hey Miki,

I have seen this happen of the iPhone 6 before if any part of the home button flex is torn. Trying unplugging the home button from the board and seeing if that will power it on.

Let me know if this helps!

I fixed over 7 Iphone 6 before I ran to this problem: here's how I fixed it.

In my case, I fixed an iPhone 6 for someone in a rush. Conected everything and tried to turn it on but NOTHiNG. Tried charging it, soft reset.

I thought screen was defective. Took out plate and noticed one of the connectors was not in all the way. Pushed it in, reconnected battery and voila. ..

Check your screen connectors again. Be nice and gentle

Miki,

Did you disconnect battery before you work on this phone? Look around the area that you clean debrish, cable any loose/damaged parts around cleaning area, and check your connection. Most people didn't realize that they knock off some of the component during cleaning or plied to disconnect cable. Otherwise, electrical shortage during cleaning debrish.

Hi Guys, I have a similar issue, if not the same.

Unplugged the Battery, then disconnected the screen connectors carefully with a plastic spludger.. and connected the bare new screen to see if it worked before doing the repair, Nothing.. no back-light or any signs of life, so reconnected the old screen with the same issue :(

iTunes does recognize the phone when its plugged in, but my PC is not authorized for this phone.. when the phone is on charge it draws power, but just pings every 5 seconds.. All connectors are clean with good connection, there were no screws in the connector plate after removing them, and the phone was working fine prior to removing them..

Sorry this is not a solution Miki.. would have loved to read one here.. :(

Hello. My problem might help you trouble shoot. I'm out of new parts so I used one from a used i6 we had for sale. Just switched the home buttons and plugged it in. Then Checked the screen and no picture. Tried soft reset and nothing. Unplugged battery and nothing. Plugged in the charger and nothing. Placed a new battery and nothing :(. I tried a couple other screens and nothing. Eventually I got the "no screen plugged in repeated sound" when charging, which seemed like hope. The phone heated up quite a bit too. Never found a solution though .. Actually ended up putting a cracked screen back on the phone and paid half the customers insurance deductible which they luckily had. I pith the screen back on the used phone and the same exact thing happened lol. Broke two phones so I threw that screen away. Weird though because it was the original oem that the phone came with. Hopefully this never happens again! Good luck to you

The problem with what you did was change the home button. Apple programmed each Touch ID sensor to the individual phone, so anything else will give the phone and error 53. Change the home button back if possible and your phone should be good to go.

Might be. An issue of updating th os or updating the fingerprint detect with a new display. I was told the is checks both display and phone memory for a match. If no match your screwed. I need the solution also.

So I had the same problem, I replaced the screen it was working fine till i put the phone all together then the phone died. I have left the phone without the battery and screen connected. What I have find out that the electric statics killed the batteries as there was still power in the phone and after the phone got rid of all the electric power inside I have placed new battery and new screen and it works. I don't know if that would work with everybody but it worked in my case.

Check resistor damage in line home button to ram u0201, this line connect 1,8v sdram. This line problem iphone not power on "dead". If there is a short-circuit capacitor, then the home button is automatically always in a closed state (keep pressing). This results in GPIO failing in reading input data in other words error. For lcd replacement, the socket to the connector should be precise, because for the lcd line the voltage used is quite large, even without the battery the capacitor still supplies the residual charge when loaded. Keep the spirit and always be careful. Learn about ic that is sensitive to esd, maybe this one cause. Tq

Passei pelo mesmo problema nessas ultimas semanas. Peguei um iphone 6 plus para trocar a tela e ele simplesmente apagou por completo. Fiquei constrangido para dar a noticia que, uma troca de tela mataria o telefone. Me propus de pagar outro(mesmo sabendo que não tinha culpa). Ontem a tarde apareceu uma luz no fim do tunel...Wondershare....IOS9 e oraçoes....deu resultado.

I replace a new iPhone 6s screen after replacing it the screen doesn't display again but when I put a charger in I hear the sound

Probably some ic could be burned or damaged check foh charging ic chip or usb protection ic,

Or W/D corrosion of charging coil or could be mechanical damage to charge port, take logic board out connect battery and charging block, and try to connect with pc, Lets see how it goes,

Hi all

Please make sure the handset is on standby mode (black screen) when you actually plug in the lcd connectors. Safer if handset is completely switched off, i know this is a pain but rather safe than sorry with a dead phone. I have had instances where the backlite shorts out forever with no solution.

Hope this helps for the future.

MMA

This is a no backlight issue. I had this issue recently it is caused by having the iphone lcd on while changing lcd. I shipped mine to the United Kingdom. They did a great job fixing my iphone backlight. I used jailbreak so everytime I slide my phone it made the old unlock sound. I noticed mine was on and working because I heard it unlock just it was a black screen with any screen I put onto my iphone 6. Here is a link if you need it fixed. Took about less than two weeks to get mine back.

http://www.mobiledeviceworkshop.co.uk/ip...

As a repairer you have to account for these sort of issues. We get it about 1 in every 300 devices, we just buy a new phone for the customer and move on, no point crying over spilt milk or spending 10 hours getting nowhere. cut your losses and move on if the usual fixes which you have done dont work.

having said that good luck.

I would check battery connectors or replace the battery.

Try also connecting to itunes without installing screen

Score -1

I had the same problem with you after I replaced the home button for someone. The phone seems dead. No response at all. However, i put the original home button back, it can be turned on. Then I contacted my supplier, who told me if I replaced the home button, I may also need to replace the home button cable that attached to the LCD shield plate. Since currently I don't have any home button cable, will update next week if it works.

Score -1

DID this work?

On the iPhone 6 and 6 plus you need to always turn off phone and then unplug the battery before you touch any connectors.

It is bricked now.

Only option is put old screen back and clean back plate to make sure it isn't noticeable of someone working on it and take it to apple.

Score -1

Miki will be eternally grateful.