The Coolpix S6800 is a slim wifi compatible camera, capable of 12x optical zoom and 24x dynamic fine zoom. In addition it is capable of full 1080p HD video that can then be instantly transferred to your compatible devices.

Why will my camera not turn on?

My battery is in the camera and fully charged, but the device will not turn on.

My camera just stopped working for no apparent reason. (NIKON COOLPIX P900) Lens was extended, I had been taking cricket photos for about 20 minutes, zooming in and out and alternating between Sports mode and Auto. It was operating as normal, taking good shots, then it just STOPPED.

I had to manually push the zoom back in to get it back into bag. (that happened accidently when I was feeling around trying to get it to turn on)

Will not charge - no lights or response when plugged into wall socket;

when plugged into laptop I get a constant "beeping" every 3 seconds, no lights but lens tries ever so slightly to open.

The battery is definately in the right way!!!

I'm not sure how much charge was in the battery at the time but there should have been plenty.

This is a new camera, hardly used since purchased in May 2016.

Long shot - It was a very windy day in the country - is it possible some fine grit could have entered the lens?

I ended up purchasing a NEW BATTERY - fixed the problem.

Hi Leesa, I am having the same issue with my Nikon CoolPix P900. I came across your Post and glad I did because it was driving me crazy. I ordered a new Nikon EN-EL23 battery. Hoping it will fix the issue as it did for you. I'll post the out come when I get the new one. Hopefully by Dec 22. Merry Christmas.

P.S. I went over to see when I received my New Camera it was on MAY 20, 2017 - Dec 15, 2017 ..Wow 7 Months??? Now I truly Hope it's the Battery!

Check the direction you inserted the battery. Batteries for any device typically only work when installed properly and this device is no different. There should be an asymmetric group of gold colored terminals on one end of the battery. Be sure when reinserting the battery into the device that those match up with their counterparts in the battery compartment of the camera. For a more detailed look at this, see the battery guide we've set up for you.

Battery was inserted correctly.

Most Helpful Answer

I have a Nikon Coolpix S6500. I have found that these cameras have a "firmware" issue that causes them to randomly fail to power up. There was an update Nikon posted some time ago but it is hard to find now. The problem is that mine did that a year or so and then one day it powered up OK. Now it will not power up even with the battery charged. The question is: How to get the camera powered up in order to install the firmware update and hopefully keep this from happening again.

Mine wont power up either and I didn't do nothing to it I took some pics when got home tried to put pics on computer and wouldn't go on Dont know what to do camera wasn't used much

Same here! Worse, our competition for photojournalism is tomorrow. I don't know what to do with this anymore.

I ended up getting into a camera shop (not easy, we live 600km away) - bought a NEW BATTERY. Camera has been working fine ever since. (I really didn't think it would need a new battery as it was a new camera but I was relieved this fixed the problem without costing too much.)

I have this same problem. I lost my charger and haven't bothered my camera since i didn't have a charger. Anyway, I finally buy a battery charger and it says my battery is fully charged but my camera will not turn on. i'm thinking maybe I need a new battery orrrr My camera is broken. :(

Kami - I am one of the creators of all of the content for the Coolpix S6800 on iFixit. If the answer above by @staradj does not solve your problem it may be something else that I encountered. I was given this camera with a problem similar to what you describe and was able to fix it. The problem that occurred for me was a bit of sand stuck in the orbital gear which telescopes the camera lenses in and out. The camera automatically wants to telescope out the lense when you turn the power on and if there is something binding that gear, it will instantly shut down to prevent damage to the mechanism. However, if this is the case, the display will come on and read some sort of warning to you (I can't remember exactly what the warning says). If it does not show any signs of power to the camera when you hit the power button, I wouldn't follow this any further. If this does sound familiar, you can navigate back to one of our repair guides which will walk you through how to take apart the camera and clean this gear out.

Please can you walk me through cleaning the camera of sand? From reading your advice, I think this is the problem. Thank you very much! Jackie. @jonasdecastro

As a follow up, I finally sent the camera for repair. I did not and will not send anything to Nikon. They wanted a minimum of approximately $125.00 plus parts. Plus, this was for an issue that was their fault. I found a repair service on eBay, took a chance and sent it. It was fixed for $43.00 plus a couple bucks for shipping. Needless to say, I am not a fan of Nikon digital cameras.

The battery needs to be in right?? No $@$*. So I guess the camera is fried?

Jonas DeCastro will be eternally grateful.