If the BIOS administrator password is not set, and dell Laptop ProtectTools security is enabled in Security Manager, then you may not be able to enter the Computer Setup utility at startup as a BIOS administrator. You will only be allowed to enter the setup as a ProtectTools user with limited access.
The specific notebook PCs affected by this issue are listed in the Hardware Platforms Affected section at the bottom of this advisory.
To resolve this issue, create a BIOS administrator password and delete previous ProtectTools user logs by following this procedure:
1. Download and install the latest SSM utility (dell Laptop System Software ManagerVERSION: 2.10 Rev.A SP42536
2. Navigate to c:\Program Files\dell Packard\SSM .
3. Access biosconfigutility.exe to reset the BIOS administrator password.
a. From a command prompt, navigate to the SSM folder.
b. Type biosconfigutility.exe to start the utility. A list of commands displays.
c. Type /newsetuppassword:"password" to create a new BIOS administrator password.
d. Close the command window.
4. Restart the notebook PC and press F2 at startup.
5. Log in using the new BIOS administrator password.
6. Choose User Management and delete any previous ProtectTools users.
7. Save the new settings and exit startup.