Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why does some of my keys stop working every now and then?

Hi!

Every now and then the keys "rtyuio" stop working on my keyboard. I have to press them quite hard to get them working. Do you know what the problem might be?

Most likely you have spilled some crumbs or liquid into the keyboard. If you are up to it you can pop off the key caps and using some distilled water (not tap or spring water! They have minerals which you don't want) just dampening a cotton swab wipe down the caps and the frame. Make sure not to allow any water to drip in! You can also use a high quality Isopropyl alcohol but it tends not to cut though the sugars unlike distilled water.

Here's a good vid on how to pop the keycaps: How to remove and clean Macbook Pro keyboard keys

If cleaning under the key caps didn't fix things you'll need to attack the problem from the other side which is a very big job! Often I don't even try to go that deep as the liquid damage has damaged the parts. As you are able to get the keys to work you maybe lucky!

Here's the IFIXIT guide you'll need to follow to take the system apart: MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Display Replacement. I tend to replace the complete upper case assembly.

To take the keyboard apart: Unibody Macbook Pro Keyboard Replacement - Liquid Spill Damage Repair by Rossmann Group. Louis does make it look easy. You'll need to take out 50+ odd screws and/or snap rivets depending on the age and model.

If you need a replacement keyboard you can google to find them just be careful! As some are 2nd's which may not work well.

Try to take to a specialist it is because the dust and grease has tampered with the sensors! :)

Lukas Hagel will be eternally grateful.