Apple iPhone

Complete disassembly and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus.

iPhone generations, difference between 1st and 2nd gen

If one goes to the iPhone identification page of iFixit one finds 4 model numbers and iPhone generations

A1203 - 1st generation

A1241 - 3rd generation

A1303 - 3 Gs

A1332 - 4 G

Is there a second generation iphone? I have seen that descriptor before. What is the model number for the second generation?

Sterling is correct. Also, there is no such thing as an iPhone 4G. It is an iPhone 4. It does not operate on a 4G network. By calling the second generation iPhone the 3G (they called it that since it operates on a 3G network), Apple convoluted a common naming convention to call things 1G, 2G, 3G, etc.

wasn't there 2 versions of the 1st gen iPhone? the june release in 07 then in november they released a second Version with changes to the Battery? i got my first in nov of 07. I think when Apple refers to the iPhone 4 as (4G they meant it to be the fourth generation. both David and Sterling are correct. OK i was mistaken the price drop in sept when apple discontinued the 4GB iphone so the time line its iPhone 1 Edge, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4.

by Justin Weathersbee

Most Helpful Answer

A1241 is not 3rd generation, it's 3G. The 3G is the second generation iPhone.

drprice will be eternally grateful.