This is the HP Photosmart Premium e-All-in-One Printer. Model Number: C310a. Product Number: CN504A.

Paper feed rollers have stopped feeding paper?

The printer will print fine with one page at a time manual feed. The feed rollers drop down on the paper but will not turn when it touches the paper. Have looked for answers all through HP support and have only found that HP doesn't do anything about fixing this problem. Has anybody taken one of these apart yet to see how they can be repaired? Any good ideas about how to start?

I had the same problem and solved it thanks to you guys:

I drilled a hole in the bottom and made it a bigger opening, to gain access to the cog wheels. I used the mirror pictures of benjaminreveille to know where.

The left cog had slid to the left on the metal axis. I moved it back on the rough part of the axis, but that didn't help. I slid it back aside, put superglue on the rough part and slid the cog back in place. Let it dry overnight.

And voilà! Printer as good as new!

Thank you so much all of you!

I did the same thing and fixed my prroblem - thanks much!

It worked !! Thanks a million... we also cut out a hole under the carriage...

Perfect! My printer has been broken for 6 months! I was going to buy a new printer, then I found your post. It worked` thank you so much!!

I cut a hole in the bottom and it was very easy to see the problem and access!

I used super glue and it was dry and ready to go in an hour.

Most Helpful Answer

Same problem, fixed for now using 5 minute epoxy... Slid the gear to the side... Dabbed epoxy on the axis, slid it back in, let it dry overnight. Taking the printer appart is a pain though... All that for a 1 cent plastic part that is an engineering defect !

Mise à jour (15/01/2016)

Well had to redo it tonight after printing out a good number of pages...

Here are 2 pictures to illustrate how to do it without taking it apart but by using a mirror to see the gear.

Global view to see where to put the mirror and where the gear is.

Zoom in on the mirror and you can see the gear and epoxy as it dries. You can use the gears to the left to rotate the axis and dab it homogeneously.

With the mirror it was real quick... Now lets see if it worked again...

Regards

perfect solution, but its so hard to see the 1 cent plastic from normal position.

Same problem with my printer

Guess I might as well tear it apart since it doesn't work the way it is!

My printer also has this faulty gear.

Maybe i can cut out a piece of the drawer right underneath the gear to get better access to it and fix it with some glue.

The hole will later be covered by the paper...

Thanks for the pictures! I was able to access with a mirror, although I'll cut an access hole if it repeats. This site is very useful!

Stood hp 310a on its side. Positioned small flat mirror angled on its edge to view gear train. Taped drop light to now top of printer looking at the mirror/gear train. One small plastic gear slid off the steel shaft 'spline' not engaging drive train. (can move the gear by hand back in line with the gear train and try once to see if it fixes problem). Then slid the gear down & off the spline. Bent small hook in a wire. Mixed some two part epoxy and carefully dabbed small amount on the shaft spline until about 100% coated. Very carefully slid the gear with fingers back on the shaft spline viewing that it was centered on the mating gear. Waited until next morning to try printer. Now works great! Hardest part was manipulating the dabbing of the epoxy on the spline due to working with mirror image. My printer had little use as I have a second one that I use for everyday printing, so, wanted to save the hp 310 as my good scanner/color/printer. Thanks much for steering me in the right direction.. Joe

Scenario 1: the pick-up drums do not roll, you hear a grinding noise

You most likely hear a grinding noise of plastic cogwheels slipping when the printer tries to feed a sheet of paper.

It looks like there is too much play in the paper pick-up unit (at the rightmost end inside the printer) on which both pick-up drums are mounted on a single arm. When not printing, these drums are lifted. When printing, they are dropped to the top of the paper stack and will engage to separate the topmost sheet off the stack.

When lifted, you will be able to rotate these drums in one direction. When the drums touch the paper, they simply don't rotate.

I suppose that because of excess play (programmed obsolescence?) eventually the cogwheels that drive the drums will slip. Sadly this unit is hard to reach.

Probably the entire printer must be torn down, and I don't expect you will be able to easily fix the excess play on the paper pick-up mechanism that drive the rubber rolls when pressed on the stack of paper.

Scenario 2: the pick-up drums do roll, but they slip on the paper

There are image and video instructions available from HP. Here's a written summary based on my experience:

If you see the paper pick-up drums slip on the paper, then you may have better luck. Unplug the printer's power cord, detach the duplex unit at the back (push to the left and pull back to disengage the unit from the printer). You can now see 4 rubber drums on an axis. Clean these with a Q-tip moistened (not soaked) in clean water, and move from left to right. Rotate the axis upward (only possible way) to clean the next section of the 4 rubber drums. Now take another moist Q-tip and swipe the rubber-covered grooved paper pick-up drums clean in a similar fashion. This is tricky since you need to reach into the printer from the back (left). Let the water evaporate and reassemble the duplex unit. Print a test page (e.g., a blank Word document to avoid wasting ink). If the rubber pick-up drums still slip, repeat the cleansing operation.

There is no grinding noise and have already done the HP suggestion for cleaning all the rollers.

But I thank you for the suggestions. I may just have to bite the bullet and take the thing apart.

You've got a weird shadow of your hair on the wall,

One might think you are an alien.

Dec 02, 2016

I realize this is an old feed but the problem I'm having is new to me. .

I've cleaned all the rollers as directed with water and lint free cloth.

I've looked at my printer and your scenarios and have come to the conclusion that I'm having scenario 1 issue. This is great to know, but how is this fixed. Also, when looking into my printer from the front, the left rubber roller is sagging on its left. I don't see this as the problem to the picking up of paper.

My question again, how is this problem fixed?

I really don't want to buy another printer if this one can be fixed for a few dollars.

I fixed mine by following this thread. If you are still trying to figure it out, I'll take a pic and show and explain what I did. I'm really busy the beginning of this week, so I don't want to spend a bunch of time if you've already got a solution, so reply and lemme know

I have the same problem with my HP. I've torn it down to get to the entire mechanism and found that near the rear underside - the gear furthest back sitting on a thin, geared, metal rod - was cracked. This makes the gear "skip" instead of spin. I've dabbed it with super glue and it appears to be working, for now, but to tear down to this point is quite a commitment. Good luck! I'm taking pictures of how to tear this down and as soon as I figure out how, I'll write a fix it guide submission.

please post images, I am having the same issue, Would like to use your fix.

I followed suggestion from nickbeat76 - cut a hole in the bottom of the tray - much easier to see what you are doing and get the epoxy in the right spot - no mirror necessary.

Dremeled a hole, put on a bit of gorilla glue, just waiting til tomorrow to try. Thanks for the cutting hole part!

Thx @nickbeat76 too!

Das Problem liegt daran, dass ein kleines Zahnrad auf der Zahnstange auf die Seite gerückt ist. Wie benjaminreveille geschrieben hat, kann man das Zahnrad mit einem Spiegel lokalisieren und wieder an die richtige Stelle verschieben. Wer keinen Kosmetikspiegel zur Verfügung hat, kann sich auch mit einer CD helfen.

My C310 printer has stopped feeding paper as well. It is the small drive gear that is no longer in the correct position. I was able to do the same fix as the person with the mirror but without a mirror.

I was able to use a utility knife to remove a bit of the black plastic rail located just in front of the area where the gear is supposed to be located. Then you can directly see the ribbed section where the gear is to be positioned. Placed epoxy on the ribbed section, slid the gear in place, placed a small amount of epoxy on the trailing end of the gear, waited 24 hours. I was able to print my boarding passes as soon as I connected it together.

In my case, the plastic gear on the metal bar had slid all the way to the right (when viewed with the printer in the normal position); and was not fully riding on the "roughed up" part of the metal bar. I was able to slide the plastic gear back on the roughed up" part of the metal bar.

Printer back in business. And yes, the pics with the mirror were helpful. Thanks Benjamin.

Carefully examine the printer from top. Turn printer over and do it also from the bottom. Then do each side starting with the port side and then examine the west side (in this exact order) and then let stand while you take a five minute break (exactly five, no more, no less). Then very carefully remove printer to garage area of house, remove garbage can lid, and throw the son-of-a-gun in. Smile and walk away. No more problems, guaranteed'

You forgot to mention that it is absolutely necessary to make this effort by night.

No one likes to explain to anyone why you are in the possession of this sad piece of apparatus. One might think that it was actually YOU who spend real money on it! And we won't like that for one bit? No sir! Not one bit!

After a long thought a finally came up with an answer that really worked. Not a short while solution or a solution that ordered for all sorts of non-HP accessories , glued of stocked in or on this apparatus.

So this is my perfect solution to the painful problem of getting blank sheets of paper into the machine in order to make it print.

1 -Before I begin to print, I make sure that there is absolutely no paper on the paper tray.

2 -Next I put the machine on and go for a cup of coffee.

3 -By the time I finish my coffee, I know my printer is ready and able to walk to China and back to me.

(It's THAT GOOD)

4 -The moment I have decided what I want to print, I pull out one paper sheet from between my paperberg and (pre) insert it into the machine to finally push it gently down to the back.

5 -Once I click on print with my right hand, the left waits for the transport to start and manually feed the paper sheet into the machine.

Delicate, Simple, trustworthy and no effort at all.

Thought you'd wanna know.

Yes, but to manually feed several pages...ugh. I could hand write it faster than feeding one sheet at a time through this thing. ;-)

take off the paper tray and clean the dust .

check the roller drum and clean the printer for more visit

Guide to fix paper jam in printer

and see if this helps you

I have a hp7500a. The exact same problem. The advantage of this printer is that there is a window built in to the bottom of the paper tray very close to the problem. A rectangular hole with rounded edges, to be exact. My gear was just off the splines on the metal shaft. An easy fix with a good flashlight and a long flat screwdriver to slide the gear up and down.

I tried the above solution, and it worked, but I want to warn you of a Murphy's Law that caught me. I had stood the printer up on one side to apply the crazy glue. I applied (unknowingly, because I couldn't see what I was doing) more than one drop, and the crazy glue ran down the shaft and glued the pivot point where the roller "landing gears" allow the rollers to drop down. I had glued plastic to plastic, which usually isn't a big deal. It actually turned out to be better glued than I thought.

But , after the fix, I didn't know that the mechanism was glued in place. So now, after trying to print, I saw the rollers moving where they didn't before the fix, but the roller landing gear stayed in place, and didn't drop down to the paper!!

After much screwing around, I finally took a drop of 3in1 oil, placed it on where the crazy glue had set on the pivot, and after some time and pushing, freed up the "landing gear" for the rollers.

Now, everything is freed up, but they still won't lower. I probably broke some other gear while it was stuck in place.

The moral of the story is: 1. flip the printer over so it's lying on it's top (I took off the cover to the flat bed first). That way if there's too much crazy glue, it won't run and glue up something else. 2. Use a tiny amount of the crazy glue. Or use an epoxy that doesn't run like crazy glue.

BTW, I decided to enlarge the "window". I used a drill bit that's used to make large circular cuts in a door for a door handle. I had used a dremel wheel, but it spins too fast and melted the plastic tray.

One more thing, the plastic used for the body of the printer dissolves in acetone. I was going to try to dissolve the crazy glue with it, but I decided to test it first on the cut out window piece. Did something right!

Long before these solutions appeared, I was on the phone to HP technical people. They said the problem is not resolvable. I wrote to Meg Whitman, CEO. Letter went to "special handling" office. They offered me deal on a rehabbed 7640 for $80. I threw out the 7510. Then I wrote to Whitman again saying planned obsolescence is a disgrace and bad engineering is symptom of cheap design.

That was the last HP product I will buy/use. Apparently, it's of no concern to them.

I have purchased maybe 6 ink jet printers in 15 years - all HP. In truth, , I am not impressed with "changes "- they have perhaps 400 units in their history - and I suspect most are the same. This marketing is a scam and reflect poorly on a once great technical outfit.

https://topclassactions.com/lawsuit-sett...

This is from 2014 but my recent evidence is HP is still playing games.

They want you to throw it out. Planned obsolescence is the correct answer. Right now, my machine is functioning after epoxying job.

Check for a cracked or out of place plastic drive gear .

I tried absolutely everything before I found paper from a previous jam wedged into the print cartridge parking place. Odd that the symptom manifested itself as a paper feed problem, but after cleaning up that mess and running the print head cleaning process, my printer is saved from the fate advised by Jackie Durham above, which cracked me up by the way.

Have played with this printer all day. I see where the gear is sliding off center but sliding it back manually does not solve the issue. I am now going to consider whether going through the process described above is worth the $100 for a new printer/scanner. Right now I am tempted to throw it onto the ground.

The HP C310a is another printer that was made using the planned obsolescence strategy inherent in printer manufacturing. I will buy a Canon as revenge, likely, and wait until it too has a premature death...

I looked for the pics of Benjamin drilling the bottom of this printer and to find out exactly where I have to move the cog to - find the super glue and replace. Can someone show me ? I really dont want to go a new printer. thanks kkg

danpage0 will be eternally grateful.