The Microsoft Surface (1514) is the first tablet released by Microsoft. It runs Windows RT, which is designed specifically for tablet functionality. Repairs for this device require screwdrivers and prying tools.

charger light flashes and surface wont charge

I was using my surface and it got the low battery notification so I went to get a charger and when I plugged it in the light on the charger flickered and surface didn't charge. The problem isn't the charger (I tested it at Microsoft store). I then ordered a new power plug and opened surface and installed the new one. When I tested it again, it still didn't work. I have tried disconnecting the battery, still nothing. If anyone has any idea what the problem could be, help would be very much appreciated.

Did you just purchase this or have you had it for a while? Did the battery totally die on this, before you attached the charger? Have you checked for continuity between the pads on the new charger port and where the traces lead? Checked for proper polarity on the battery?

u can't disconnect the battery on a surface there's no battery to remove it is sealed up in the casing unless u break the seal around the case and then u scrue the hole thing up and might as well use it as a paper weight

Me too. I got a replacement and that doesn't work either. I need it for printer, external hard drive, and CD/DVD player. Any suggestions?

My company is solely a Dell company however we've now been purchasing the Surface Pro 4 and I've run into two system where they were new out of the box and not within a week of basic usage they've failed to power on. I've contacted Microsoft Pro support to have the tech inform me that it's a "Normal issue" and they replaced it no questions asked. There's nothing you can do to fix this problem but call Microsoft to replace the unit. Microsoft Direct. 1-800-642-7676

Your comment is awaiting moderation

My SP3 is “dead” , when the power is plugged in , the white power-cord light is on, but no heat is observed whether on the supply or the SP3(no power is drawn).

Have tried any trick of "awaken it" from a possible sleep state by press&hold power and power+volume up for some time, no result.

One of two:

1.The battery is dead,

2.the charging circuitry inside the pro3 is bad.

Are there any way to find it out ?

by the way , the powersupply is almost “brand new” , and the extra usb output located on the supply is working well.

Possible fix: Buy an powersupply that uses the docking type plug underneath, hoping that this other connector has its own charging circutry.

Most Helpful Answer

May be you have some device (smartphone etc) connected to the USB port of the charger and possibly drawing to much power or simply not compatible. Unplug this device. The second after you should be back in business. Regards !

i had a powerbank device charging from the usb port on lead/box. unplugged it and now the surface is charging and led not flashing :-) thank you

Thanks. This was my exact issue. Why does this happen?

Crappy Microsoft crappy crap crap.

Disconnect power cord, then press power button for 30 secs. Connect power cord back. It should work.

This one worked for me.

This didn't work for me Leon Trying what did u do I have a Samsung Galaxy J7

Clean power contacts with a baby wipe, thanks Costco.. and it went back to a single flash right away.. can't believe how simple.

Solution 1: Check for conditions that might prevent charging

Is the electrical outlet you’re using to charge your Surface working properly?

Try plugging something else into the outlet and see if it works.

Are conditions right for recharging?

It’s best to charge your battery near room temperature. Surface is designed to work between 32° and 95°Fahrenheit (0° and 35° Celsius).

If these things are OK, continue with Solution 2.

*

Solution 2: Disconnect cords, remove accessories, and check connections

Step 1: Unplug the Surface power cord from the electrical outlet. If you have any of the following, remove or disconnect them from Surface:

Power supply

Surface Cover

microSD card

USB devices such as printers, keyboards, or mice

Video or audio cables or adapters

Step 2: Check the magnetic connectors on the power supply's connector tip and on the charging port (on the side of Surface itself). With the power cord unplugged from the outlet, clean the magnets on the Surface connector tip and the charging port with a soft cloth and a small amount of rubbing alcohol.

Surface RT charging port and connector

Step 3: Reconnect the power supply to Surface and plug the power supply into a working electrical outlet.

Charging connector on Surface RT

Charging connector on Surface 2

Step 4: Look at the connector to see if the light is on.

If the light does not turn on, your power supply may need to be replaced.

If the light does turn on, try to turn on Surface.

Step 5:

Press and release the power button on your Surface. The Surface logo should display within a few seconds.

If your Surface turns on, the battery on your Surface is likely still very low. You will need to let it continue to charge for a while. When the battery has a 40 percent charge, install the latest updates to help prevent the problem from occurring again. For more info, see Install Surface and Windows updates.

If your Surface still won’t turn on, try Solution 3.

Solution 3: Force restart

Step 1: Press and release the power button on your Surface, and allow up to 30 seconds for the Surface logo to appear.

If your Surface still won’t turn on, continue to Step 2.

Step 2: Press and hold the power button on your Surface for 30 seconds. The screen will flash during this process, but continue to hold down the power button for the full 30 seconds.

Step 3: Press and release the power button on your Surface to turn it back on.

If your Surface turns on, the battery on your Surface is likely still very low. Let it continue to charge for a while. When the battery has a 40 percent charge, install the latest updates to help prevent the problem from occurring again

Please accept answer if this solves your issue.

The cleaning of the power contacts with a baby wipe was the solution.. worked. Thanks

I have exactly the same problem with my charger (regular, weak flashing light and no charge going to the Surface (the 12V cable from the black box), even though the USB charging (5V cable from the black box works fine).

I did all of the above fixes and nothing worked.

I have a second power cable which all works fine.

I suggest it's a problem somewhere either in the box that supplies the 12V or in the cable that leads to the surface, but that's probably no help to John. Maybe the MS people will read this though?

same problem. 5V works, 12 V flashes.

My surface does this a lot all I do is hold the charger were its flashing then hold down the power and volume up buttons for 30 seconds, it then updates and continues to work like normal

I had the same problem .

I disconnected the half of the charger connected to the outlet and reconnected it and it worked.

Hope this helps :)

If mine is unplugged from power, then plugged up after a while, the light will blink on for about 1 sec, then go out, and not charge it. Last night it was shut down, and the charger was working, and it had power. This morning it is showing low battery when turned on, and the problem with the charger not charging is here.

If it had power when turned off, why is this happening?

I took it to the Microsoft store and had them try one of their chargers, and it still didn't work. I took it apart and replaced the charging port but it still does the same thing. I'm not sure what the issue would be.

Where did you get the charging port. Mine has went out and I can't find one. Microsoft said I can't buy one

I have the same problem. I too took it to the Microsoft store.They told me there is no solution, for me to trash it. Microsoft no longer makes or supports the Surface RT. I'm done with Microsoft.

I am on vacation and at first I kept getting messages that my Surface 2 couldn't complete the updates and I would have to wait longer for it to "undo" the changes that had been made...this has continued for a few weeks...now it will not charge...I can only use it if it is plugged in...help! I still have 2 months left on my trip...

John, has your problem solved? If yes, mind sharing with us lot? I encountered the same issue every day. I don't quite mind if I'm working in the office since I can use my desktop, but it gives me headache when I have to use it on site. I have tried everything, but still it doesn't work.

No I still haven't gotten anywhere with it. I tried replacing the charger port on the surface but after I still had the same problem. I was thinking it might be the battery but other than that I have no ideas.

Have you tried shutting down the tablet while charging it? I tried it today, and somehow it worked. I first connected it with the charger and it says, well, not charging, then I shut down the surface, wait for an hour or so, switched it back on and the battery life went from 13% to 20%! The battery still said not charging tho, so again, I switched off the tablet and hopefully when I switch it back on tonight, the battery would be fully charged! Finger crossed!! Anyway, if you haven't tried this before, maybe you should give it a try. Good luck!

I have a charging issuie with my RT and have tried all the different options here and elsewhere, with no luck.

What I have found is that if I turn it off completely it charges, but will not charge when powered up, I suspect it's a software issuie and no longer supported by m$.

Take it out back and commence to the unthinkable.

I tried all of these methods, but none worked. I have all of my work training and notes saves in my SP2 and I'm ready to cry!

I just wantmy power supply replaced. mine is unsafe

Try this: http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-pro...

Uninstall the battery driver and reboot.

I have a windows RT 8.1 and experienced the same issue most of us are having. My tablet stopped charging after the recent update and unfortunately shut down before I could uninstall. I left it charging for 2 days and it still wouldn't turn on. The light on the cord would turn on, but the tablet wasn't accept the charge; I unplugged it, cleaned both ports with alcohol and switched it to a different outlet. It finally turned on and I then proceeded to follow solution 3 from the link below. It has turned on and is accepting the charge now, I just have to wait until it has some battery to check if it works on other outlets. http://www.lovemysurface.net/surface-pro...

Earlier today I had been using my Surface Pro 4 and the charger was working fine. I had the charger out and it had gotten to 10% so I went to plug in the charger and it did not work. I've been trying to find a solution for 4 hours and nothing is working. It's completely dead and when I do the volume up button + power button it just shows low battery. The light on the charger is not working and I'm so confused.

Same issue. It randomly started working again when i had it open and wasn't touching it for about 5 mins then shut down and won't turn back on.

I discovered today, with a SP3, that it seems to be overloading the power supply. When overloaded, the power supply shuts itself off. Then if I turn the SP off, I can unplug and plug the power supply back in to 110v and the light will come back on and it will be charging. But if I then try to turn the SP back on before it is fully charged, it overloads the charger and it shuts itself off again. Soooo IIIFFF the SP is fully charged to begin with, and IF you do not have stuff plugged into the USB port, MAYBE there will be enough power in the power supply to keep your SP running and for the power supply to stay on. But once you start pulling too much power from the power supply, it will shut itself off again. I can repeat this and get the same result every time, so I am pretty sure that is what is going on...

Now to solve the issue, ... uh ... is there a solution? Does someone make an adequate power supply that will keep the SP and whatever is attached to it going without the Power Supply shutting itself off? What is the power limit of the stock SP charger? Must be pretty low...

I just waited 10-15 min and then plugged it back in. I had a surface pro 4, Australia.

john will be eternally grateful.