The AirPort Time Capsule is a wireless network device featuring network-attached storage (NAS) and a residential gateway router.

Replacement HDD larger than 2 TB?

What is the largest HDD I can use in my AirPort Time Capsule 802.11n (4th Generation)?

Current HDD is causing problems and is running out of space (2tb) looking to put in a 3tb or 4tb if available.

Make and models recommended would be a great help too

md032ll/a a1409

Hello

Has anyone tried to use wd red drives yes I am considering trying a 6tb red drive suggestions please ....thanks

i have used several wd red drives,,,very good drives

Here'a a nice guide on how to do it: http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/ho...

This guide is basically ok. There are only two additions I would suggest:

1. Use a hair dryer to cautiously heat up the base rubber, and lift it up starting at one corner. This prevents the rubber from being ruptured.

2. Disconnect the inner fan cable from its socket. It is helpful to have the housing of your TC separated. Don't forget to reconnect! ;-)

Nice Solution .. great solution :)

Most Helpful Answer

Yes, you can. The A1409 contains a standard WDC Green 2TB HDD. I used the existing repair instructions to replace this with a WDC Green 4TB HDD - exactly the same except double the capacity. When the Time Capsule restarts you get an error message in Airport Utility saying the "Disk needs repair". Click the error message, then hit "Erase" and Airport Utility formats a 4TB partition on the new HDD.

Hello there...

Just replaced my 2tb drive with a WD 6tb NAS red. Works just fine.

Regards to all

Col

(aka VK2CRT)

I have the same model Time Capsule and I just upgraded the hard drive to a Seagate Enterprise Series 5TB, 7200 RPM drive. It's lightning fast and has plenty of storage.

mockingbird1313 will be eternally grateful.