The Kindle Fire HD 6 (model number PW98VM) is a six-inch economy tablet featuring two cameras, a speaker, and Amazon's Fire OS.

Why will my headphones not play audio?

When I plug my headphones into my Kindle Fire the audio will not play. My Kindle Fire plays audio when I do not have headphones in it. I have made sure that the audio volume is turned up when my headphones are plugged in, but having the volume turned up has not fixed the problem.

It sounds like the headphones you are using are broken. Try using a different pair of headphones. If the problem persists with new headphones, jiggle the plug around the headphone jack. If you can hear sound or static, the headphone jack is most likely the problem and will need to be replaced. For more information, check out our troubleshooting guide.

Yeah, jiggle the headphone jack around until you’ve “jiggled” to the point where BOTH pieces of hardware are irreparable and it’s useless to even attempt further troubleshooting,

P.S. DON’T jiggle your jack around because even if it does temporarily make sounds, you’re probably going to break something.

Your headphones aren’t broken, Amazon is.

My kindle headphone port

I would suggest you get a new pair, see if that pair that isn't working works on a different device, or clean the headphones and the headphone jack. If any of these work, then I will feel useful!

It could also be a DRM issue that prevents playback when something is plugged into the headphones jack. I can hear my Amazon Music and alerts just fine, but when I try text-to-speech or the add-on audible version of a particular audiobook, it will not play, except over the tiny Kindle Fire speaker. It worked a couple of weeks ago, but I noticed that my Fire updated itself on May 5th. I did download the same book (but not the Audible version) on a newer Kindle I got on eBay last weekend, so maybe there's a limit on the number of devices authorized. It kind of flies in the face of customer loyalty, as the authorization ought to just transfer to the current device.

Derek Benson will be eternally grateful.