Released June 2012, Model A1278. Intel processor with Turbo Boost, Up to 512 MB DDR5 Video RAM

Why does my MacBook Pro put itself to sleep while I'm working?

Starting out of the blue a couple of days ago, my relatively new Macbook Pro (running Yosemite) started randomly putting itself to "sleep" while I am working. What I mean by "sleep" is that the screen goes black, it pauses iTunes, and it signs off of any Skype calls that might be in progress. I am mystified about how to fix this.

Further clues to aid would-be troubleshooters:

• This is unrelated to "Energy Saver" settings. I have it set to put the display to sleep after 5 minutes of inactivity, and the computer to sleep after 15 minutes. Yet this issue occurs as I am working --literally while I am typing. It is not falling asleep due to inactivity; it's more like narcolepsy.
  • Interestingly, it doesn't behave as it does during a normal sleep. In a normal sleep, you can wake it back up by tapping the trackpad, pressing a key, or pushing the Power button. When it does its narcoleptic thing, it only wakes back up when I tilt the whole machine to the right.
  • Wondering if it might be a motherboard issue (just a blind guess), I drove to my nearest "Genius Bar" today. The guy took it apart, said the motherboard looked great, and told me that it could probably be fixed by downloading the most recent Yosemite update. Unfortunately that did not solve it either.

Any ideas?

Can you give us the last four digits of your serial number so we can correctly identify your system.

Apple MacBook Pro "Core i5" 2.5 13" Mid-2012 Specs

Identifiers: Mid-2012 13" - MD101LL/A - MacBookPro9,2 - A1278 - 2554*

Did anyone ever find a solution to this problem? I am struggling with it now and I need to be able to do a Skype interview soon, but my laptop sleeps too sporadically.

I have the same problem with my MacBook Pro. However, the situation occurs very inconsistently. Sometimes I can work for multiple consecutive hours with no issue. Other times, I'm plagued continuously through a work session. Very frustrating.

@Lee Reaviel - Its best to create your own question with your systems details instead of tagging onto an old one as sometimes we just don't see it. Just look above your comment here, sadly, Nil was looking for help and his comment was never seen.

I might know. If you keep a magnet close to the top of the speak r grill it will put the Mac to sleep

This actually solved my problem. I was working with my macbook over my magnetic flip-over leather cover and I actually found the spot which would put the mac asleep and wake it up!

Thank you! This was driving me nuts; I had my kindle (with a magnetic latch) resting on the edge of the laptop while I waited for something to compile - and the suspends kept disconnecting my VPN.

oh my gosh i just got a new wallet with a magnetic money clip and my laptop was on my lap with my wallet in my pocket. you are amazing for pointing this out. i feel stupid... hahah

Holy crap! Thank you so much! I was freaking out because I don't have AppleCare anymore (due to the fact that I got my Macbook in 2012) . I was watching Netflix and it started doing this and I couldn't figure out why. Turns out it was because I had my bluetooth speaker resting to the left of my trackpad below the keyboard.

I just bought the Incase Icon cover and it has a magnet on one end that hold it shut. I have always rested my mac book on top of whatever case I usually stored it in. Long story short, I was about to take my new laptop back when I saw this post so I held the magnet to the laptop a few times and that ended up being the issue. Thanks :)

Disconnect the battery and the sleep wake sensor on step 14 MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2012 Left Speaker Replacement

put a piece of electric tape on the sleep wake sensor cable ,dont connect it and reconnect the battery and close the back lid and test it and see if you get the same issue. If you dont thats your problem needs to be replaced. If you still do let me know.

I observed a similar problem with my MacBook. I made a video so that I could better explain it to the people at Apple Care.

you can find the video at

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hEFsyWi1...

This exact same thing started happening to me when I started working on a bus. The bumps on the bus seemed to put my macbook to sleep. Now I'm back in the office, if I jostle my macbook a certain way, it falls asleep, then I tilt it back and forth, and it wakes up. I'm guessing it must be some kind of accelerometer bug... please help if you figure it out.

downwithg, how about creating your own question here so we can help answer your problem.

I have the same problem with my brand new MacBook Pro! When is Apple going to go back to creating quality product?

Laura will be eternally grateful.