Parts & Tools

Apple's line of laptops for professional and power users. To date the MacBook Pro line includes 13, 15, 16, and 17-inch variants, with major revisions defined by unibody, Retina display, and Touch Bar designs.

Hardshell protectors ok to use?

I just bought a hardshell protector for my MBP, and was wondering if there are any issues with heat dispersion. It does have holes on the bottom for that purpose, and I didn't find anything in the Apple KB on this topic, but I did wonder whether these build up any more heat than normal, and if that has the potential to shorten the life of internal components?

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Nintendo Switch Kits

A quick fix to get back in the game

Shop Switch Kits

Most Helpful Answer

Get a monitor app which includes a temperature readout (I like iStat but that is purely personal). Run lots of apps on the computer for half an hour or so without the case on and see how hot it gets. I set Chess to play itself and run an app called grapher (in utils) and select a couple of the 3D example, this seems to send my processors to around 100% which should heat up the unit. You guessed the next bit, fit the case and repeat. Does the system get any hotter with the case on or does the cooling work OK.

If all good keep the case.

Hello!

Ideally, the bulk of the heat disperses out the vents on the back of the machine (where the fans and heat sink are located). Does the case block these vents in any way? If not, I'd say you're fine. MacBook Pros just run hotter than many laptops, but as long as the airflow isn't impeded, it shouldn't be a problem.

rkanes will be eternally grateful.