Originally known as "The New iMac" the iMac G4 was created to replace the iMac G3 as Apple's all-in-one desktop computer. The G4 is easily recognizable by its swiveling monitor mounted above the hemispherical computer. Steve Jobs quoted it as being "a design that will last till the next decade."

Issue with screen - possible problem with inverter

If you switch on the iMac Mac (G4) and the screen comes on for a while, then flickers, and the backlight stops working resulting in a dark screen is this a problem with the inverter? If so, can I purchase this separately and install it? If so, how do I do this? Any help would be much appreciated!

Andrew

The iMac g4 had some problems with scuffed cables inside the neck, but the inverter or the ccfl tubes are old - so they can also make some trouble.

i would first check the cables inside the nack - but it's not easy to open it. please read more about the whole disassembling process on: http://dremmeljunkie.blogspot.com - this guy made some heavy modding with his iMacs - but you only need the part with the neck ;-)

andrew will be eternally grateful.