Repair guides for displays (or monitors) for computers or other devices with video output.

Asus VE248 LCD Monitor has a white screen?

One day, mid-use, one of my monitors blinked out and came back as a blank white screen.

I've tried plugging it in to other inputs, all the normal diagnostic stuff, but even when it's not receiving input and should be displaying the ASUS logo on startup, it displays a white screen until it goes into standby mode, which appears to function normally.

The warranty's up now, so I figure I may as well try fixing it as I won't be coming out with any less monitors, problem is, I've done plenty of PC repair, but never had to diagnose or fix a display before.

Most Helpful Answer

AxelC, the white screen means that your backlight still functions, but your monitor does not receive any signal. You should also see if the on-screen menu still shows. Best suggestion at this time from me would be to try a different cable and see if that works. If not, you will have to disassemble your monitor and take a look at the video board. Let us know what you find.

Just did the tests you suggested:

Using the setup menu doesn't show anything but the white screen, that's when it's already on or when it's coming out of hibernation.

I've now tried out HDMI, DVI and VGA ports with no change. I tried each possible combination between the monitor and my videocard's outputs.

It occurs to me part of the problem might be that I can't select an input manually, but I believe my other ones will do that automatically as long as only one input is being used.

This is a shot in the dark, but if it were a Mac, I'd go for a bad hard drive. Try starting up from your system installation disk. This failing, disconnect the hard drive and try from the installation DVD again.

but more seriously , it seems that if you surge the power on and off rapidly to the monitor " i know not good but it was a last leap of faith before i junked the thing" and it fired right back up it still acts up on occasion but its getting more consistent as time goes on

Ive been having white screen and spontanious monitor shut down for a few months now. Normally taking a hair dryer to the back of it works after about 10 mins (seriously) but this is definitely something to try before you !#^& off your wife!

smack it around a couple times, worked off and on for me. infact i'm using it now.

AxelC will be eternally grateful.