Updated version of the Kindle Fire 7" tablet by Amazon with 1280x800 HD display. Released September 2012. Repairing this device is straightforward.

Switches on but the screen does not power up

My daughters Kindle Fire HD will play the switch on music but the screen does not power up.

Any ideas would be gratefully received.

Mine is like that too but I don't kno wat to do me and my mommy have tried most of the stuff on here

Most Helpful Answer

If suddenly your Kindle Fire won't work, then it's most likely locked up.

However, sometimes when it locks up you can't tell because the screen goes dark, either gray or black. It just looks like it's off when in fact your Kindle Fire is on but is stuck.

This is usually why a Kindle Fire won't turn on or charge, because it's already on but is locked up and thus won't charge or work properly

How to Reset the Kindle Fire

Resetting your Kindle Fire is actually really easy, just hold down the power button for at least 20 seconds.

Unless the screen is black or gray, you'll know when it's off. If you can't tell, just be sure to wait a full 20 seconds.

When you're ready, hit the power button to turn it back on.

Kindle Fire Won't Turn On

Kindle Fire Power Cord for Charging

If your Kindle Fire won't turn on it's possible the battery went dead (if it was left "on" too long).

Plug in the power charger and wait about 15 minutes to make sure it gets enough charge, and then try turning it on again.

If it still won't turn on, try to reset the Kindle Fire again to be sure it's powered off.

I got it working right away. Thanks.

i have the exact same problem. screen is black but powers on with startup sounds and shutdown sounds talking about swiping with two fingers etc. Any other help I also would appreciate. found nothing on google and dont want to purchase a new digitizer and or lcd screen if its not the problem.

Hi Aaron81182...my kindle is doing the same thing now...did you find a fix for this or a solution? Please advise...thank you!

Hi, My kindle is also doing the same thing. Black screen and voice talking to me. Now reading out a list of kindle products and prices but just wont show me the screen so that I can get my books back. Most frustrating :-( did anyone manage to resolve this please?? Thanks

Anyone find a fix to this? I have tried resetting, letting it die on its own, charging it for 24 hours... The screen is black, but it responds when I touch it, and it is now talking to me about orientation of the devise and the date and time...

My kindle is doing the same thing. Screen is black and now its talking to me. Has anyone figured out how to fix this?!

Has anybody resolved this problem, I have tried resetting still not working it is telling me date and time an to swipe with two fingers but screens still off, I have taken the back off and disconnected the battery an again still not working, I don't no what to do, I have had mine 4 years now first problem I have had, thanks x

It totally works!! Mine had the same problem, I just fixed it!! Just leave the power button pressed until the button turns off, then press it again and it works!!

My sons is doing the same saying screen is enabled and is talking but no screen not sure how to fix it

None of the thing on this bored has worked,Is there any other ways you guys have tried to get you tablet on.My tablet screen is stuck on a grey screen with slightly darker grey lines in between the bright parts.I have tried everthing.Is another way to get it fixed.Kaden would be really happy if i could get this fixed.

Oct 24, 7:54pm

Hi Emilee, the only thing that worked for me was removing the battery and putting it back in. It's taped in and looks like it's not removable. I removed it anyway because I was fixing to just toss it out since I couldn't get past the black screen. AND I TRIED EVERYTHING BUT, prior to removing and re inserting the battery and its what worked, surprisingly!... Good luck.

How did you take the battery out safely? When I went to try to get mine out, the battery seemed to deform. almost like it's bendable.

andy will be eternally grateful.