The Lenovo IdeaPad U350 was released in 2009 as a low-cost, thin, light laptop. It shipped with Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) or Ubuntu and features a 13.3" display.

Why is my laptop randomly shutting itself off?

Lately my IdeaPad U350 has been shutting itself down without any prompt or notification. It's not the normal Windows shutdown, either. The screen just goes black and it turns off immediately. Sometimes it will work for an hour before this happens, and sometimes less. I noticed that if I let it sit off for a while between shutdowns, it will last a bit longer. Any help is appreciated.

I have the same issue . I have a Lenovo ideapad flex 10, which shuts down automatically whether on power or not and whether idle or not.

Please help.

I too have the same issue . I have a Lenovo ideapad S510p, which shuts down automatically whether on power or not and whether idle or not.

Please help.

I have a Lenovo think pad and i can get it to run for 15 minutes and then it turns itself off even in bios bit it takes longer in bios. I tried to run a test to see if its the motherboard and i couldn't even get the test to finish to see. I have it plugged in and it still turns off. Battery was replaced a year ago. Now my laptop is a nice paperweight.

I have Lenovo G560 Iam play 5 min game and the PC is turns off pls help me.

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH IAM FROM CZECH REPUBLIC

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 14" and have just started having the same issue. Only happens when on battery, and my fan is working.

Most Helpful Answer

The following solved it for me....

To do it via the Power Options, right click the battery icon (or electrical plug icon) in the lower left corner of the screen, then...

1. Select a power plan and then click "Change plan settings"

2. Click "Change Advanced Power Settings"

3. Look for "Processor power management" and expand it

4. Expand "Maximum processor state"

You can now enter the percentage usage of the CPU while on battery and plugged in.

Note that it does not work the way you think it would work. Meaning if you set the CPU to 90% it will run at 90% of the stock clockspeed. No... it's not like that. For example, my i5-2410m has a stock speed of 2.3GHz. Turbo boost overclocks it to as high as 2.9GHz when stressed.

100% = Turbo Boost on.

99% = Turbo Boost off. CPU runs at 2.3GHz

78% - 98% = 1.796GHz

69% - 77% = 1.596GHz

60% - 68% = 1.397GHz

So you get the picture.

Thank you times a million for posting your solution!! I was so frustrated that my brand new laptop was shutting off but I haven't had a problem in months thanks to this fix!

Er... sorry for the dumb question, but what % are you meant to set the maximum processor state to? I've tried 99%, 100% and 90%, and I've still had my Lenovo Yoga 910 (windows 10) black-screen on me 3x in the past hour. (I had set it to 99% before because that reduced the fan noise problem.)

Thank you for taking the time to type the instructions. I do not understand how to know which % to select? Do I want turbo boost off? On? Do I set it low?

It sounds like your laptop is overheating. The first thing to test is making sure that your fan is working. If you don't hear it and can't feel any airflow from the exhaust vent, then either your fan or your laptop's fan controller (which is located on the motherboard) is broken. If your fan is working, then the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink likely isn't transferring heat properly. Fixing this will require disassembling your laptop and applying new thermal paste. I recommend Arctic Silver 5 or Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

Thanks a million. I have some clue now.

June 2017. Power settings now differ and I can't follow your steps as naming conventions seem to have changed a bit. I cannot keep the laptop on long enough to figure this out. It's not overheating. Although maybe it has some protection auto shutoff if fan is dead?

I have a lenovo flex 2

Right click on the battery Icon and choose Power options the rest of the directions should be the same.

Jason Sweeney will be eternally grateful.