The Lenovo IdeaPad U350 was released in 2009 as a low-cost, thin, light laptop. It shipped with Windows Vista Home Premium (64-bit) or Ubuntu and features a 13.3" display.

Why is my laptop randomly shutting itself off?

Lately my IdeaPad U350 has been shutting itself down without any prompt or notification. It's not the normal Windows shutdown, either. The screen just goes black and it turns off immediately. Sometimes it will work for an hour before this happens, and sometimes less. I noticed that if I let it sit off for a while between shutdowns, it will last a bit longer. Any help is appreciated.

I have the same issue . I have a Lenovo ideapad flex 10, which shuts down automatically whether on power or not and whether idle or not.

Please help.

I too have the same issue . I have a Lenovo ideapad S510p, which shuts down automatically whether on power or not and whether idle or not.

Please help.

I have a Lenovo think pad and i can get it to run for 15 minutes and then it turns itself off even in bios bit it takes longer in bios. I tried to run a test to see if its the motherboard and i couldn't even get the test to finish to see. I have it plugged in and it still turns off. Battery was replaced a year ago. Now my laptop is a nice paperweight.

I have Lenovo G560 Iam play 5 min game and the PC is turns off pls help me.

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH IAM FROM CZECH REPUBLIC

I have a Lenovo Yoga 3 14" and have just started having the same issue. Only happens when on battery, and my fan is working.

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

The following solved it for me....

To do it via the Power Options, right click the battery icon (or electrical plug icon) in the lower left corner of the screen, then...

1. Select a power plan and then click "Change plan settings"

2. Click "Change Advanced Power Settings"

3. Look for "Processor power management" and expand it

4. Expand "Maximum processor state"

You can now enter the percentage usage of the CPU while on battery and plugged in.

Note that it does not work the way you think it would work. Meaning if you set the CPU to 90% it will run at 90% of the stock clockspeed. No... it's not like that. For example, my i5-2410m has a stock speed of 2.3GHz. Turbo boost overclocks it to as high as 2.9GHz when stressed.

100% = Turbo Boost on.

99% = Turbo Boost off. CPU runs at 2.3GHz

78% - 98% = 1.796GHz

69% - 77% = 1.596GHz

60% - 68% = 1.397GHz

So you get the picture.

Thank you times a million for posting your solution!! I was so frustrated that my brand new laptop was shutting off but I haven't had a problem in months thanks to this fix!

Er... sorry for the dumb question, but what % are you meant to set the maximum processor state to? I've tried 99%, 100% and 90%, and I've still had my Lenovo Yoga 910 (windows 10) black-screen on me 3x in the past hour. (I had set it to 99% before because that reduced the fan noise problem.)

Thank you for taking the time to type the instructions. I do not understand how to know which % to select? Do I want turbo boost off? On? Do I set it low?

Thank you for the information!! I have the same problem. I would like to know what is the correct % I have to choose?

Thank you!

does this also work with acer windows??????

It sounds like your laptop is overheating. The first thing to test is making sure that your fan is working. If you don't hear it and can't feel any airflow from the exhaust vent, then either your fan or your laptop's fan controller (which is located on the motherboard) is broken. If your fan is working, then the thermal paste between the CPU and the heatsink likely isn't transferring heat properly. Fixing this will require disassembling your laptop and applying new thermal paste. I recommend Arctic Silver 5 or Noctua NT-H1 thermal paste.

Thanks a million. I have some clue now.

But what percentage should I set it to?

June 2017. Power settings now differ and I can't follow your steps as naming conventions seem to have changed a bit. I cannot keep the laptop on long enough to figure this out. It's not overheating. Although maybe it has some protection auto shutoff if fan is dead?

I have a lenovo flex 2

Right click on the battery Icon and choose Power options the rest of the directions should be the same.

Yeah, I'm with you there Tamara, I can't figure out where these processor settings are at all as well, and it's really starting to worry me, I haven't had this tablet/AIO, Lenovo Miix 320, for more than 6 months and it's started doing this, I've fiddled around with the settings to stay on at all times because I'm always using it, though I've set it to when I close the lid or press the power button it goes into sleep mode, which I'm not sure is the best option, but it's doing this....i'm beginning to be a bit sceptical of Lenovo products, I've already had the screen crack from a very short drop on carpet, something you don't expect for an almost £400 tablet (I didn't pay that, but others may well, that's the price on their site anyway), you should expect Gorilla Glass if anything, but anyway....mystified by this turning off problem, it's weird, normally that would imply that the hdd is on it's way out, but it's an ssd so there aren't any mechanics to go wrong :S

Do you know, those random turn offs stopped when I actually accepted, after then latest...is it Creators update? Well, I did that on Windows 10 and then finally accepted the 'do you want to delete the old windows' message that comes up, I was also down to 6Gbs storage space, but once that was done, touch wood, I haven't had a single shutdown...how strange? Maybe it was the lack of storage space or maybe it was the old copy of Windows that was causing it to do that...maybe conflicting drivers or something....anyway,fingers crossed, all ok :)

By the way, my system is a Lenovo Ideapad Miix 320 tablet with detachable keyboard, with Windows 10 64bit

hope everyone is ok....maybe give it a check too?

Ever tried to power it in Safe Mode (possibly F8, depending on manufacturer) to see if the issue is by passed ? From there, you could run some diagnostic tool or check the Device Manager or even run an Antivirus scan to isolate some malware ?

I am having this same issue with Lenovo yoga 300 , it does not even boot to Windows nor allow me to get to where to effect the changes you are talking about, in this case what should I do?

I am having the same issue with my Lenovo yoga 300, it does not even boot up to windows sometimes and the turn itself off. I can't even get to where to effect those changes and off it goes. What should I do here. Its really frustrating.

Another way that should work: right-click the mini power icon on one end of your taskbar. Select Power Options. This will open a window with power settings in Control Panel. Select a plan. (with the newest w10 there should just be one unless you have a custom because it is programmed to be adjustable (balanced)). Click change lan settings then click change advanced power settings. In the new power settings popup expand hard disk and then expand turn off hard disk after and click the down arrow until it says "Never" do this for both battery and when plugged in. this is the solution i found after reading the original answer to this issue.

you dont have to mess with the processor at all bc thats not what is crashing

the hard disk is just automatically shutting down on default w10 settings (why is that default on only some?)

I am having the same problem with my idea pad 320s which I bought end of Dec ‘17, so only 4 months ago. It’s not overheating because I don’t use it for very long or even every day. Sooo frustrating!!! I tried the power plan - with different percentage usage but had no joy.....do I call Curry’s or Lenovo support - no idea where receipt is!

Jason Sweeney will be eternally grateful.