A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

Cannot Insert Discs to PS4

I'm assuming what's pictured is the guard raised to keep the disc in the optical drive when one is inserted.

Utilizing the manual release did not lower it.

Resetting the device in safe mode did not resolve the issue.

Am I correct in assuming this is what keeps the disc in the drive?

Any idea on a manual reset? I can press it down but it pops right back up.

Sorry for the blurry image. If you can make out the black plastic guard that's what I'm referring to.

UPDATE

One of the rollers came out of place which caused the guard to remain up.

New issue - it will not "accept" a disc. I can now insert the disc but it will not auto feed. I can use the manual eject screw to insert/remove the disc but it will not read. I've tried different tightness and it seems to try to spin the disc at a certain point (with lots of noise) but fails to read it.

if the system is powered on with the disc partially inserted the system appears to be cable of ejecting it.* The eject button no longer responds...

I am having the same problem. Is there anyone here who can help?

Hey that little black cog with the spring in it, where does that go? The one in the top pic the the bar not connected?

mine will not accept or eject the disk but if I manually put it in and restart the ps4 it will still read them. I've replaced the drive and still have the same issue. Suspecting PCB board issue.

My will not take the disc in

I took mine apart to clean it and when I put it back together the eject button wouldn't sense anything anymore so I ejected my disc through the options while the PS4 was on and when I went to put something else in it won't pull it in so I used the manual screw to get it in but it still didn't read. I tried taking the drive out again and the rollers were fine. I've tried everything here, I think, with no success.

Most Helpful Answer

I had a similar issue. After taking apart my disk drive to get coins out it would not feed or eject disk. The problem was inside the disk drive the lever to push the slide forward to hold down the rollers and bring the guard up.

If you take the covers off your drive and manually roll a disk in you should see the problem. It is a lever that is pushed by the disk about halfway in. The lever the hits a slide on the side of the drive and pushes into the roller gear which then pulls it over the rollers to hold them down so the disk can spin. It had turned past one of it limits and I just had to force it back.

Hope this helps.

Be sure to manually turn the screw and test it before closing it back up.

That was it! Thank you so much for this! I took a blank CD and kept trying to put it in there and it was getting slight scratches and noticed the little flap was touching one of my rollers. I move the roller back so it could open all the way and the gear turned back with a little bit of force. Thanks!

Having the exact same issue! how can this be fixed??

I had a roller come out of location. A white plastic rod was laying inside. Does this connect the two rollers?

Yes, the white piece goes between the two rollers. If you're unable to see the image in the original post let me know.

In the picture you posted the rollers look filthy. Try cleaning the rollers with some alcohol and a microfiber cloth. When they get dirty they can't "grab" the disc. This usually fixes the problem for me. Good luck!

If you're referring to the original pictures those were shadows, not dirt.

The issue was resolved. Roller reset & confirming firm cable connection.

My PS4 only takes disk about 95% in and starts trying to read with that 5% sticking out of the disc port. Has anyone had that problem?

Yes...we've seen it several times. There's probably either something stuck in the port or some of the gears that help to pull the disc in are either broken or have become misaligned.

Those are the most likely causes.

Did you get it working? If so, how?

You have to hit the top of you ps4 where you think the rollers are . DO IT Gently

OK so same issue and it used to fix itself if I powered of the ps4 and unplugged it for a few min. Well that stopped working and every time I powered on the ps4 you can hear the gears trying eject a disc that wasn't there. After reading this post nothing worked but finally I got it to work by getting a blank CDR so I didn't scratch my brand new bf1 anyway I waited till the motor stopped then grabbed the CDR and forced it in to the CD tray then pressed eject at which point the CDR ejected normally and after that it accepts games again thank jah

The issue was the rollers.

After thinking I realized that if it could eject a disc but not feed one it was only performing half of a function. Meaning a loose connection.

The ribbon cable with the weird connection release apparently controls these functions and was a bit loose.

My ps4 has this problem I think. I took it apart to clean the cooling fan, and put it back together. When I go to insert a disc it does not feed into the blue ray drive I have to force it, but I didn't force it in.

So what exactly did you do? Can you take a picture of the ribbon you're talking about? I've been struggling with this problem for 2 weeks now and it's driving me nuts.

Is the guard up preventing discs from being pushed in at all?

The disk reader won't "suck in the disk" but can be pushed in

Have you ever disassembled the system before?

Will it properly eject the disk?

Have you tried using the manual eject/insert screw?

-If you can use this to get the disc in and the system attempts to read the disc but still doesn't recognize the disc then attempt to have the disk 3/4 of the way inserted while the system is OFF. When you power the system on, if it ejects the disc - that means it recognizes there is something in the drive and is "halfway" working - which is one problem I ended up having and I discovered it was simply a loose connection.

Any additional details regarding damage/repairs/drops/modifications may help to pinpoint the issue.

PS4 won't read the disk please help And sometimes it accept it

Hi Kathy! So just to be clear, sometimes it will accept the disc and sometimes it won't? And it won't ever read them?

Same situation happened to me. I reconnected the roller and cross link. Now it is hard to insert disc without a push. Any suggestions?

Your rollers are probably messed up. They need to be nice and smooth or they won't be able to pull the disc in very well. Unfortunately there is no place to buy just the rollers...you might end up needing to replace the entire drive if you want it completely fixed.

Make sure the connector for the disc drive is firmly in place if you're having to force the disc in. I find it unlikely the rollers aren't smooth if nothing damaged them. . .

Just take the roller and white connector out and reset it. Works 90% of the time to clear up "rollers work but have to push" issues

I looked at many videos on youtube... They were very helpful but were'nt very helpful... If you get me. Until i came across this page. By me just simply leaving the disc in half way and then powering on the ps4 worked! The disc just slid in

Okay I have a PS4 that worked great then after the 3.11 update it would not eject the disk. So I removed the cover, manually ejected the disk using the screw but it would not "suck" the disk back in. It was like it couldn't get past the rollers. So I did the rebuild data base, reinstalled software from USB stick, still it wouldn't suck in the disk. So what I did was while it was power on, I gently ran a slotted screw driver into the slot and moved it left to right. I could hear the tip trip the sensor signaling that the disk should be accepted. So I inserted a game disk manually, pushing it in all the way THEN I turned the manul screw clockwise until it would not longer turn, then backed it off two full turns. I hit the eject button and the disk came out. I inserted another disk which was promptely sucked in, used the button to eject it but had to make a few fine adjustments to the manual eject screw to get it working smoothly. This seemed to work for me, thought I would throw it out there.

This link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wqOhiiIb... helps if ps4 not under guarantee. If it is under guarantee, contact sony supports

I Have The Same Problem... I Found A Solution....Buy An XBOX ONE or XBOX ONE S....SONY Do Not Care About Their Consumers....That Shows.. When The 2.00 FW Was Released That Was The Problem. Looking At The PUP File I Realized Where They Went Wrong....PS3's And PS4's Are JUNK. They Pull More Current Then A Microwave. if you cannot come out with a console that has to be updated, it Means The Project Was Not Completed to begin with. I Have 4 PS3's In My Closet BRICKED!! Because Of Their "STABILITY UPDATES" SONY I AM THROUGH WITH YOU!!!.....

Hi I had this problem too but to fix it turn of the ps4 and hold the power button down for 10 seconds until a screen pops up and click reinstall database and it should fix it self if it doesn't you'll need a new disc drive

Supleh2 will be eternally grateful.