Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

Xbox Powers on and immediately powers off

Has anyone figured out exactly what is causing the problem with Xbox Ones that power on, and immediately power off. The power brick is lit orange which instantaneously turns white once the Xbox is turned on directly from the console, but immediately powers off.

This is a very common problem that Microsoft will not discuss.

Have this same issue, powers on for a few seconds then turns off

tried replacing power supply (x2 times) tried replacing power cord (x3 times)

Tried Factory reseting

Tried offline update

Tried repairing partions on HDD

Tried removing fan and cleaning and also cleaning and reapplying thermo paste

Tried cleaning motherboard with alcohol (91% and 100%)

Tried power cycling

Tried new HDD and SDD

and yet I have NOT had any luck. I didn’t want to give up on her, but it looks like that’s the only option at this point!

If you guys have any other suggestions I’m all ears ........

Get a hair dryer, put it on hottest setting, put it on high, blow out the vents... Didn't believe people that said it worked until I tried it. It worked for me. Thinking maybe was just a dust buildup?

I am Convinced there is some sort of Temperature Switch that Microsoft put in there that if you spill a little liquid or drink or anything into the Xbox One then it triggers this problem... The Xbox One will Power on for a SECOND then Immediately cut off.. To Fix the problem.. You take a Hair Dryer and blow HOT AIR into the Xbox One's Vents.. This Instantly FIXES the Problem Somehow... I worked for me.. I could Not Believe it but my Xbox One Now Powers on Perfectly, Just like before.. This is some BS that Microsoft Engendered into the Xbox One to make us have to send it in for Service and pay more $$$$ No Lie.. Has to be... Just my 2 cents.. if it's That easy to fix.. Something is UP with this.. How can Hot Air Fix it? But It Does... ;)

Take it apart no joke mine was doing this and I took all of the main screws out and it works completely without them but if I put one screw back in it will $@$* off and stop working

Had the same exact issue. Powered Xbox on, stayed on for a few seconds and powered off. Power brick went white to orange. Opened it up, blew it out, got a heat gun and heated the area fan/heat sync for about 4-5 minutes. Flipped it over and tightened the 4 heat sync screws at the bottom of the system. Powered it up and problem solved. I did blow out the power brick fan as well. Easy Fix!

Most Helpful Answer

So my friend had the same problem and he put a hair dryer up to the vents and blew out all the dust and turned it on and it worked

I thought this way of fixing it was BS but after I tried it it worked I was amazed and grateful thank you Jacob

This was the only option that worked for me ! I told my self if this worked i'd personally create an account and reply with a thanks ! So thank you Jacob Armstrong very much ! I highly recommend anyone that is going through this issue to try this before wasting money just to get it sent back and have Microsoft say its perfectly fine???

it is 10/08/18 and im going to play some bf4 now. ;) Goodbye and have a nice day!!

I had the Same Problem with my Xbox One S!! I have to Admit This Fix WORKED!!! I could not believe it but I took a Hairdryer on the Highest Setting and blew Hot Air into the Top Air Vent where the fan is and IT WORKED!!! Now Xbox One Powers On just like before... I have no idea what this does but it works. Fixed the Problem!!

this worked omg, i thought no way this would fix the problem but it did thanks so so much

A little more info... So I spilled a Very Small Amount of Liquid into my Xbox One s... I'm talking a few drops but I knocked a drink over and a few drops got into the Xbox One's Vent that was on top.. Well Sure enough the next time I try to power it on, this problem occurs where it turns on for about 1 Second then Powers off... So I do some research, arrive HERE... Find the solution is to blow Hot Air From a Hair Dryer into the Vents.. Sure Enough.. Problem Solved... WTF?? So There is some sort of Temperature Related Switch in the Xbox One S that blowing HOT AIR into it causes it to Reset and Function Normally again... Hot Air Fixes this problem?? Seems Fishy to me... Like someone at Microsoft Engendered this Temperature Switch into the Xbox One to make it Not Work until you send it in for service = More $$$$$$$ to be made, you simply take a Hair Dryer and blow Hot Air on it and that Fixes the Problem?? At least now WE KNOW how to fix it ourselves... ;)

Actually 4 years later I found the answer, it's a bold accusation but it's accurate if your a techie.

Microsoft makes faulty power bricks, that way at a max of 5 years they die out, or rather the electrical glue (unscrew the power brick to find white stuff all over because in most they don't care to use small amounts to hide it) basically over time your brick heats up slowly melting the glue to block off circuits, if you send it in for repairs normally they just fine you a ridiculous amount of money and either replace it, or just heat up and remove some of the glue so it'll happen again, so they have people needing more fixes, ironically you can say also the problem comes from shoddy soldering and the glue can block off parts that are soldered shut, so basically it blocks off the electrical current and to fix it either heat it up or send it in, the fact noones sued them yet is surprising because people should be able to turn these in to get full refunds, but even if yours is GameStop warranteed that ends once the brick is opened up to be sure that's the problem, so long story short get a new brick or get it repaired

I just had that problem and had to send my One off to the repair center. One of the techs said it could be from a loose socket in the One itself, but that sounded like bs. I have another one that did the same thing and I am going to attempt to see if I can or get someone else to fix the problem.

I just had the same problem but the support center in my country is very bad and they didn't want to repair it or replace it, so i'm looking for a solution, please any good news about this isue thanks in advance!!

Do you have external hardrive. My Xbox would power up for about 5 secs then power right back off. Come to find out I had short in cable going to external hardrive. Replaced it powers on and stays on now.

Spencerwc05. Thanks man mine just started doing this and I just unplugged my external drive and click it back on and re-plugged it in and it worked.

What I found was in the xbox one s the cpu heatsink screws where lose and needed to be tighter when I did tighten them the issue went away

Very nice. I watched a few videos when they took the heatsink and fan off to clean off the cpu real good and put new thermal compound on it. That could be my issue on an ebay broken xbox since I sorta half assed. it. Glad you got it working. GO PS4. Probably less issues.

Had this problem.

One of the power cable ports had a bent pin causing it to not contact correctly into the console.

Got a new power cable and transformer and Xbox one is back and working fine,

Sometimes it's the little things.

Amazing! I wonder how many threw theirs out? For the money they cost this should have a fix by Xbox thank you!

Had this exact problem a year or so ago. I continuously turned it on, but it would just go back off. I ended up sending it to Microsoft and they sent it back a weeks later saying nothing was wrong with it. I plugged it in, tried to turn it on, but still a second of power, then instantly turns back off. I went and bought myself a set of screwdrivers designed to take apart gaming consoles and other things. I opened it up and tinkered with the things and ended up fixing it myself. I don't exactly know what it was, but you could give it a try to fix it yourself.

Here's the security set I used if you're looking to fix it yourself. Link: https://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail....

Has any tried changing NCP4204 GAC1328G chip?

English please?

I got an Xbox 1 off eBay that was broken it would power on but power off immediately almost as if it was grounding or a missing capacitor broke off. There was one inside the console rolling around I resoldered it and it works but now gives the e100 or e101 black screen. I need a Wi-Fi card and a new blue ray drive and I hope it works. But all these descriptions sound exactly like the issue everybody is posting. The info Mike posted was the numbers on the capacitor not sure if it's a cap but since the Xbox powers right off then it has to be a cap. If they make another one that has legs to weld back on it would be real easy. They make these so the end user can't fix. How MS makes money. Hope this helps.

If system turns on for a second and than off it could possibly be a bad wi-fi card, that would be best case scenario, worst case is Motherboard needs to be replaced. If the system goes into the user interface and than shuts off check to see if your fan is operational and if it is than replace your rf module and front panel.

I have the xbox one s and it barely goes on for a second til it turns itself off again. Ive tried taking the power cable out for ten seconds like the microsoft webpage says but that didnt do anything. Please help

Mine had this problem - try plugging it directly into the wall socket (no extension etc.)

I have the same problem with my one s, I tried this and I left it alone for a couple days ( probably did nothing but I'm desperate:) ) pleaseee help. It turns on for exactly five seconds and then turns off, every now and then it will load for a while right until the green symbols appears on my tv then turns off again HELP ME PLS

Maybe it’s the thermal past on the heat sync. When it wears away, the heat is directed to the chip.

Or one of the components on the inside which controls the voltage has blown.

Its a heat distribution problem. Most likely the fan and other cooling components on the console are not working. If its not that then its definitely the motherboard/logic board that has an issue. I have though heard it is relatively common for the xbox one s fan to break though...

I just had hat problem and i just took the power cords apart( spearated them from the brick) for about a minute then put them back together and it started working again.

I would check the power cable and make sure it isnt getting hot. I would then make sure the power supply fan is turning that way you know its on and not going to overheat. that should diagnose the power supply and the temperature. anything farther will probably require opening it up.

I faced same problem in xbox 360 , power brick fan stopped working so 360 console wont power up more then 5 seconds , replace new fan and enjoy , yur power is ok and problem gone .

My xbox one is powering on and turning off I need help with my xbox

I would check the power cord first to make sure nothing looks damaged. Check the power socket to make sure there's no damage. If you have a friend/relative with a xbox ask to borrow his power cord and see if it turns on. If it doesn't it will be something internal, and you will have to make the decision if you want to open it up and take a look at it yourself or send it to a tech.

Microsift techs have been the most unhelpful people to talk to when I have any problem with my Xbox one. My father bought it as a birthday present for my 8 year not even two years ago and I've had multiple problems and difficulties with it. So much money has been put into a gaming system that was for my child and it's horrible to tell him that we are poor and can't just go out and buy another one. Once again I have unplugged the power cord to the power box and the light turns orange, than it turns white when I turn the power button on and turns off after one second. Then, it won't turn on at all. This has happened too many times to count. When you put a lot of money in a so called trustworthy company like Microsoft that make millions if not billions of dollars on their products and they can't help you or have the intelligence to fix their own product….it's bs. Spent nearly $309 on the console itself, not to mention Xbox gift cards, Xbox gold live cards and numerous games. Microsoft is nothing but a bunch of money grubbing corporates that hope your system doesn't work so you have to pile more money into it to fix it. I've been “fixing" my Xbox trying to get it to work every other week for a year and out of the blue it continues to shut down and not work. Microsift techs tell me they don't have an answer…well, their answer is pay more money and maybe the problem will be fixed. Should have never gone with buying an Xbox one from a company that sells systems with constant issues and glitches.

This fix works 100% for me: unplug your power brick and look towards the male plug. Next *carefully* widen the space between the two male plug to make a tighter & more snug fit when you plug the power cord female end in again. I discovered this , as noticed that if I listened carefully, I could hear arcing (snaps) as the cord was moved even sightly and the problem would manifest itself (aka power down). When I performed the above-mentioned fix, it is good-to-go! Good luck and again, be careful not to break those male plugs on the input of your power brick.

Hi, Andre. Try a different power supply (brick and cable), these commonly have capacitors fail on them. If the problem persists even with a known-good power supply, the problem is internal. I’ve seen the internal power supply unit itself, the “southbridge” IC, the APU, and one or more of the MOSFETs and other components on the voltage rail be at fault. Here’s a standby voltage diagram to help you narrow it down to the correct component. Hope this helps, good luck!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=25g44sj&...

I have this issue with two Xbox ones and both times it was a bent HDMI port . Pretty easy to fix , just need to be gentle . Hope this helps.

OMG I thought y'all were bsing me. I did use a hair dryer on the acdc adapter and it didn't work at first. So I flipped the Xbox one over on it's top. You see years ago (I don't wanna say how many LoL) I worked at a computer store we carried game systems. I can't recall whether it was the PS1 or PS2 would act crazy, so we flipped them upside down and boom fire right back up. Same worked for the Xbox one. Between heating the AC adapter and flipping the Xbox over it fired up. Then I flipped it back over and I am back to State of Decay 2. THANKS SO MUCH FOR THE KNOWLEDGE!!!!!

I think it's the fan not engaging. It must have a safety feature where if that fan doesn't spin it cuts off power.

Try a hair dryer to remove the dust on the fan 3 to 40 seconds

I think it's simply a safety feature where if the fan doesn't engage it cuts off … all the debris and dust probably is the cause. Great reason to get that computer duster stuff …

I don't know how to fix it but I have the problem with my oneS. It worked fine earlier, then I tried to turn it off, it didn't turn off so I unplugged it, now it turns off when I turn it on.

Blow drying it really works !!! Thanks so much !

I have tried the blow dryer trick and it works. Problem is it only works for a few hours to a day then I have to do it again. Any thoughts

So the other day my brother accidentally pulled his xbox one s off the table and onto the floor, but the floor was, really soft carpet (Hotel Room) and the landing didn't seem very hard. But yesterday we got it turned on it worked fine, but he turned it off after we thought it was working, and about 5 minutes later he tried to turn it on, but it didn't work. It turned on for about 15 seconds and then turned off by itself. Within this 15 seconds, the screen doesn't come up and it makes weird noises.

Also from pulling it off the table, the only thing it broke was the HDMI cable,, the HDMI port itself looks to be okay.

So if anyone can help me, it'd be greatly appreciated.

If you can help, either

Reply here or Message me on Twitter “@trimusx” and say “I know how to fix your Xbox One S".

Thanks!!

Andre Toney will be eternally grateful.