Microsoft's third-generation Xbox game console, released November 22, 2013.

Xbox Powers on and immediately powers off

Has anyone figured out exactly what is causing the problem with Xbox Ones that power on, and immediately power off. The power brick is lit orange which instantaneously turns white once the Xbox is turned on directly from the console, but immediately powers off.

This is a very common problem that Microsoft will not discuss.

Have this same issue, powers on for a few seconds then turns off

tried replacing power supply (x2 times) tried replacing power cord (x3 times)

Tried Factory reseting

Tried offline update

Tried repairing partions on HDD

Tried removing fan and cleaning and also cleaning and reapplying thermo paste

Tried cleaning motherboard with alcohol (91% and 100%)

Tried power cycling

Tried new HDD and SDD

and yet I have NOT had any luck. I didn’t want to give up on her, but it looks like that’s the only option at this point!

If you guys have any other suggestions I’m all ears ........

Most Helpful Answer

I just had that problem and had to send my One off to the repair center. One of the techs said it could be from a loose socket in the One itself, but that sounded like bs. I have another one that did the same thing and I am going to attempt to see if I can or get someone else to fix the problem.

I just had the same problem but the support center in my country is very bad and they didn't want to repair it or replace it, so i'm looking for a solution, please any good news about this isue thanks in advance!!

Do you have external hardrive. My Xbox would power up for about 5 secs then power right back off. Come to find out I had short in cable going to external hardrive. Replaced it powers on and stays on now.

Spencerwc05. Thanks man mine just started doing this and I just unplugged my external drive and click it back on and re-plugged it in and it worked.

What I found was in the xbox one s the cpu heatsink screws where lose and needed to be tighter when I did tighten them the issue went away

Very nice. I watched a few videos when they took the heatsink and fan off to clean off the cpu real good and put new thermal compound on it. That could be my issue on an ebay broken xbox since I sorta half assed. it. Glad you got it working. GO PS4. Probably less issues.

Had this problem.

One of the power cable ports had a bent pin causing it to not contact correctly into the console.

Got a new power cable and transformer and Xbox one is back and working fine,

Sometimes it's the little things.

Had this exact problem a year or so ago. I continuously turned it on, but it would just go back off. I ended up sending it to Microsoft and they sent it back a weeks later saying nothing was wrong with it. I plugged it in, tried to turn it on, but still a second of power, then instantly turns back off. I went and bought myself a set of screwdrivers designed to take apart gaming consoles and other things. I opened it up and tinkered with the things and ended up fixing it myself. I don't exactly know what it was, but you could give it a try to fix it yourself.

Here's the security set I used if you're looking to fix it yourself. Link: https://www.newelectronx.com/proddetail....

So my friend had the same problem and he put a hair dryer up to the vents and blew out all the dust and turned it on and it worked

I thought this way of fixing it was BS but after I tried it it worked I was amazed and grateful thank you Jacob

Has any tried changing NCP4204 GAC1328G chip?

English please?

I got an Xbox 1 off eBay that was broken it would power on but power off immediately almost as if it was grounding or a missing capacitor broke off. There was one inside the console rolling around I resoldered it and it works but now gives the e100 or e101 black screen. I need a Wi-Fi card and a new blue ray drive and I hope it works. But all these descriptions sound exactly like the issue everybody is posting. The info Mike posted was the numbers on the capacitor not sure if it's a cap but since the Xbox powers right off then it has to be a cap. If they make another one that has legs to weld back on it would be real easy. They make these so the end user can't fix. How MS makes money. Hope this helps.

Actually 4 years later I found the answer, it's a bold accusation but it's accurate if your a techie.

Microsoft makes faulty power bricks, that way at a max of 5 years they die out, or rather the electrical glue (unscrew the power brick to find white stuff all over because in most they don't care to use small amounts to hide it) basically over time your brick heats up slowly melting the glue to block off circuits, if you send it in for repairs normally they just fine you a ridiculous amount of money and either replace it, or just heat up and remove some of the glue so it'll happen again, so they have people needing more fixes, ironically you can say also the problem comes from shoddy soldering and the glue can block off parts that are soldered shut, so basically it blocks off the electrical current and to fix it either heat it up or send it in, the fact noones sued them yet is surprising because people should be able to turn these in to get full refunds, but even if yours is GameStop warranteed that ends once the brick is opened up to be sure that's the problem, so long story short get a new brick or get it repaired

If system turns on for a second and than off it could possibly be a bad wi-fi card, that would be best case scenario, worst case is Motherboard needs to be replaced. If the system goes into the user interface and than shuts off check to see if your fan is operational and if it is than replace your rf module and front panel.

I have the xbox one s and it barely goes on for a second til it turns itself off again. Ive tried taking the power cable out for ten seconds like the microsoft webpage says but that didnt do anything. Please help

Mine had this problem - try plugging it directly into the wall socket (no extension etc.)

I have the same problem with my one s, I tried this and I left it alone for a couple days ( probably did nothing but I'm desperate:) ) pleaseee help. It turns on for exactly five seconds and then turns off, every now and then it will load for a while right until the green symbols appears on my tv then turns off again HELP ME PLS

Maybe it’s the thermal past on the heat sync. When it wears away, the heat is directed to the chip.

Or one of the components on the inside which controls the voltage has blown.

Its a heat distribution problem. Most likely the fan and other cooling components on the console are not working. If its not that then its definitely the motherboard/logic board that has an issue. I have though heard it is relatively common for the xbox one s fan to break though...

I just had hat problem and i just took the power cords apart( spearated them from the brick) for about a minute then put them back together and it started working again.

Posts are very meaningful thanks to the site

http://hotmailblogs.com/hotmail-login-ho...

"Someone Sometimes with visits your blog regularly and recommended it in my experience to read as well scalp psoriasis"

I would check the power cable and make sure it isnt getting hot. I would then make sure the power supply fan is turning that way you know its on and not going to overheat. that should diagnose the power supply and the temperature. anything farther will probably require opening it up.

I faced same problem in xbox 360 , power brick fan stopped working so 360 console wont power up more then 5 seconds , replace new fan and enjoy , yur power is ok and problem gone .

My xbox one is powering on and turning off I need help with my xbox

I would check the power cord first to make sure nothing looks damaged. Check the power socket to make sure there's no damage. If you have a friend/relative with a xbox ask to borrow his power cord and see if it turns on. If it doesn't it will be something internal, and you will have to make the decision if you want to open it up and take a look at it yourself or send it to a tech.

Microsift techs have been the most unhelpful people to talk to when I have any problem with my Xbox one. My father bought it as a birthday present for my 8 year not even two years ago and I've had multiple problems and difficulties with it. So much money has been put into a gaming system that was for my child and it's horrible to tell him that we are poor and can't just go out and buy another one. Once again I have unplugged the power cord to the power box and the light turns orange, than it turns white when I turn the power button on and turns off after one second. Then, it won't turn on at all. This has happened too many times to count. When you put a lot of money in a so called trustworthy company like Microsoft that make millions if not billions of dollars on their products and they can't help you or have the intelligence to fix their own product….it's bs. Spent nearly $309 on the console itself, not to mention Xbox gift cards, Xbox gold live cards and numerous games. Microsoft is nothing but a bunch of money grubbing corporates that hope your system doesn't work so you have to pile more money into it to fix it. I've been “fixing" my Xbox trying to get it to work every other week for a year and out of the blue it continues to shut down and not work. Microsift techs tell me they don't have an answer…well, their answer is pay more money and maybe the problem will be fixed. Should have never gone with buying an Xbox one from a company that sells systems with constant issues and glitches.

This fix works 100% for me: unplug your power brick and look towards the male plug. Next *carefully* widen the space between the two male plug to make a tighter & more snug fit when you plug the power cord female end in again. I discovered this , as noticed that if I listened carefully, I could hear arcing (snaps) as the cord was moved even sightly and the problem would manifest itself (aka power down). When I performed the above-mentioned fix, it is good-to-go! Good luck and again, be careful not to break those male plugs on the input of your power brick.

Andre Toney will be eternally grateful.