Model A1502 / 2.6 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.1 GHz) or 2.8 GHz (Turbo Boost up to 3.3 GHz) dual-core Intel Core i7 processor with 4MB shared L3 cache.

Can RAM be upgraded?

I just got a MacBook Pro and already regret not doing the 16GB upgrade. (For now, it's fine, but I'm thinking about the future here.) Is there any chance this will be possible—at least in the years to come?

No. This model has 8 GB of onboard RAM by default, but it can be upgraded to 16 GB at the time of purchase—for an additional US $200. The RAM in this model is soldered to the logic board and cannot be upgraded later.

Yes, I realize all that. However, what actually prevents a RAM upgrade?

De-soldering, re-soldering and locating compatible RAM. I don't even know where the type of RAM required is disclosed... it could be like the Blade drives, there are no 3rd party components available. If it were possible someone here would have created and posted a guide.

Good answer, thanks. Perhaps it will be possible in the future. One can hope!

While you can't add RAM, you can replace the SSD storage. But, presently Apple is the only supplier of the SSD unit and you would have needed to order your system with it at the time of purchase. With that said, many parts houses have bought units to then take apart for the parts! So it's possible to find a read Apple SSD as a replacement and many 3rd party storage upgrader's like Other World Computing will be offering SSD's soon.

We hope (we've been hoping for two years now).

Guys... The RAM is soldered on to the logic board and there's no way to replace unless you want to take the risk of unsoldering and resoldering RAM back on the board. I can almost guarantee that you'll have to buy a new system afterwards because this will permanently damage 99.9% of people systems. If you're really desperate for more RAM on your system you can buy a new logic board. However Apple custom orders these, so you'll have a very hard time trying to get a hold of one.

I'm also in the same situation as you. I bought an early 2015 13" Macbook Pro with retina display and I'm wishing i would've opted for a more top of the line configuration. It really sucks that Apple would do this however they tend to keep peoples devices running smooth with updates and as long as you stick to multi threaded applications and applications from the app store, you shouldn't have any performance problems for a long time. Keep in mind that the system you bought is very capable and is top of the line.

So iFixit sells logic boards - does this mean I can replace mine with one that has more RAM?

My Mac repair guy replaced my logic board corroded by a liquid spill using one from a supplier from California, so it must be possible! The new logic board is a different clock speed and amount of memory, so yes, this is possible! I paid about $480 for the board.

Yes you can but you need the right gear, if you want to know more I have two words: Louis Rossmann.

everything is possible my man. all you need is the same kind of ram macbook pro retina has (size and speed) and a guide on how to place em in the motherboard (which is the problem). And the stuffs are all glued in. So pulling out stuff to get to the ram is difficult. But do remember you have super ssd and lot faster ram speed to get you through long time to come. Believe me man i went with a 8 gb model of 2015 macbook pro retina 13 myself.

"everything is possible my man", a great concept until a lawyer walks into the room and slaps down copyright law.

lawyers can slap themselfs

The RAM is *soldered on*. There is no glued in "stuffs" to pull out. Desoldering the RAM DIPP modules from the motherboard and resoldering on new ones is 99% likely to end in disaster for 99.9% of users. It's a *lot* harder than it sounds.

Hola from Mexico City dear "originalmachead" & "Dan". English is my 2nd language so forgive my grammar.

Interesting topic. I have a Macbook Pro Retina 15" launched by Apple at the end of 2013 with no option to add more RAM but with the option to expand it at the time of purchase to 16 GB in RAM.

As far I as know, the same RAM (1600MHz DDR3L onboard memory) is used on all Macbooks after this year until now, so, my question is amigos... can my 8GB of RAM can be de-soldered & re-soldered in order to upgrade to 16GB from RAM taken from a broken/sold4parts late Macbook?

And I say "broken/sold4parts Macbook" because according to "originalmachead" find new 16GB of new RAM is impossible and I quote "I don't even know where the type of RAM required is disclosed... there are no 3rd party components available".... and I agree completely because I have looked for it thoroughly .

Thanks so much for your replies, cheers from Mexico City.

DJ Rocari

www.rocari.com

no for finality anything later than 2012 for 13' mac book pros are soldered as apple upgraded other parts that were bigger, so they had to lower space. they took out the push-slot in ram compartment, and just soldered onto board. so if you want to upgrade you will have to probably order a new motherboard with new ram on. unless you have crazy good soldering skills otherwise it will just screw up the system and even if you could do that it would be hard to find compatible ram thats not ripped out of another mac for quadruple the price. so in conclusion if your going to do it your going to have to pay a lot and (to do safely) let apple do it.

https://postimg.org/image/os38ovhu1/ .. Guys, cmon. Dozens of models. Ebay. You cant resolder more ram onto the board. Its a proprietary system. The damage to the unit itself being that its a closed system is not worth just replacing the logic board. - @jordanmichaelzuniga

I upgraded my 8gb 2013 retina 13 inch to 64 gb.

Score -2

how did you do this?

Yes how did you do this? Did you do it yourself?

@Ana & Yvonne Jones - He didn't increase his RAM, what he did increase was the SSD drive. The RAM in this series is soldered to the main logic board and not replaceable! The SSD is replaceable, if you can find the correct unit for your system.

Yeah, these don't come with 8gb SSDs and who would downgrade the stock 128GB to a 64GB? for that matter. Either he got his hands on some chips and has mad micro-soldering skills, or he's been smoking something. **Edit, just saw he/she was talking about the 2013 model**

Can you provide info on how you accomplished this? Or did you just come here to brag hehe

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201165

Here is the answer to y'all

Score -2

Sadly these images and information is not for the same model. That they are refering to

It is. The last line above the table reads "Note: Apple notebooks not listed in this table have non-removable memory."

This info is for the older models

Ernest Surudo will be eternally grateful.