iPhone says "This accessory may not be supported"

When I connect my iPhone to the charging cable, it vibrates and says something like, "The accessory may not be certified." I've tried a lot of cables, including original Apple cables, but the results are the same. I've also tried to put my motherboard into another working case, but it does the same thing. Do you know which IC can be broken on my logic board? Thank you.

Have you tried an other charger and not cable?

Yes.. I've tried lot of chargers cable and usb from pc..

having the exact same problem too mate, bloody useless, so unreliable, so frustrating!! unbelievable, i love my iphone but im slowly having enough now, i am on my 3rd iphone, ridiculous, started looking for androids, so reliable in comparison with apple.

im having the same problem with my iphone 5s! what is the solution?

My iPhone 6 is doing that same thing now, any tips how to fix it? Every time I go to plug it in to charge it, it won't work. That one msg keeps poping up, do I just need to get a new charger?

This is a common issue when it comes to the lightning charger. These are a lot of solutions that I got from here

Also a eyeglass screwdriver. Very narrow , cheap and fits in slot

Didn't know I could have so much lint in that little slot. I always carry my iphone in my pocket port up but I see it didn't make that much of a difference. Worked great! I know this may sound strange but tell all the folks who try this to turn your phone off first!

This happened to my iPhone 6 Plus and all I did was turn off my phone power, wait around a few minutes then turn on your phone. It should work as good as new!!

I meant that I turn off my phone when I go to charge it and it says that my phone doesn't support this accessory

Managed to actually come up with a solution to this after realising that when my phone completely ran out it would charge enough to turn on then come up with the message again..

Step 1: plug in your phone and dismiss the error message

Step 2: turn off your phone, leaving the charger plugged in

Step 3: leave for a couple of hours or as long as your phone usually takes to charge

Step 4: turn your phone back on. It will have charged as turning it off means you don't give it a chance to come up with the error message!

You'll have to do this each time you need to charge - it might be inconvenient but it's better than a dead phone! Hope this helps :)

Hello, experienced the same problem for a month until I finally decided to take a push pin...Yes, a push pin and very carefully inserted it into my phones charging port and to my surprise..out came a lot of pocket lint from carrying it in my pocket!! Very easy process of just "picking" out the lint which was not allowing my charger to fully insert and make a proper connection. After doing this, my charger fit snuggly into the port and just like that...CHARGING AGAIN!! Try this simple, inexpensive fix and you all may be pleasantly surprised!!

This was the perfect fix for my iPhone. I forgot that I have to do this periodically to remove little magnetically attracted debris from my magport--add why wouldn't lint do the same on a lightning port. You are brilliant and I am in your debt!!!!

this is the solution i was looking for. I used a pin and cleaned the charging port and found lot of lint inside it and once cleaned it started working fine.

it worked! I used a pin and removed some tiny debris attached to the little magnets in the charging port... and now is charging !

thanks! :)

Worked like a charm! From now on I am making sure I put it in my pants pocket with charging port on top. Many thanks!

My daughter's iPhone 5c and my iPhone 5s came up a day apart saying this accessory is not supported. Yes we have different cables not chargers cause the original cables that came with the phones aren't very good at all. We are updated to the newest software. Why is the cable and charger a problem when the charger is right and not the cable? Apple should be happy we have their product. Instead of thinking of how to make a iPhone better, they should look into the cable and charger to make them more better. This is so crazy and us Apple users have to suffer cause we are using different cables and chargers and may not allow to charge our phones??????

Here's what worked for me which I found via an iPhone forum. Plug your charger in, when you get the message "this accessory..." Hold your finger(with pressure) on the dismiss button and pull your charger out. While still applying pressure to the screen, plug your charger back in and it should work.

That worked! Awesome.

That did not work at all. I have a 6.

That worked for me too!!!!!! Thanks!!!! I wonder whats the real problem. Is it software or hardware.

Where is dismiss button@ or you mean home button?

This worked for me perfectly!

arely, when you plug an iPhone or iPad into a particular Lightning charger cable you’ll see a pop-up or lock screen message on the device that says something to the effect of “This cable is not certified and may not work reliably”. This usually prevents the lightning cable from charging the device as well. Though most users will never see this error, if you do see that message, there’s almost always a reason why.

We’ll cover the three most common reasons you’ll see the “not certified” message on an iOS device, and also what you can do about it.

Perhaps before anything else, try pulling the cable out of the iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch, then putting it back in. Also, try plugging the cable into either a different USB port on a computer, or into a different all outlet. On rare occasions where the message is displayed erroneously and for no good cause, this can be a solution, which is probably indicative of a power issue with the source, and not the cable. These situations can also sometimes lead to an appearance of a device that refuses to turn on, though in such a situation just plugging it into a different outlet can be the remedy.

So assuming that is not the case, here are the most likely reasons why you’d see the “This cable is not certified and may not work reliably” error message with an iPhone or ipad.

The Cable is Junk or Poor Quality

The first and most obvious reason to see the error is when a cable is not certified by Apple, which is often the case with a cheap replacement. Sometimes they work and sometimes they don’t, when they don’t work is when you’ll see the “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone.” error message show up.

Because the iPhone and iPad Lightning USB charger cables can be expensive, many users will turn to the third party offerings to replace a torn or frayed cable, and these cheap low quality replacements are the most common causes of that error message. Those cheap cables are not recommended for exactly that reason.

Rather than risking it and throwing away money, just buy a cable that will work. If you don’t want to spring for the Apple cables, the AmazonBasics Apple Certified Lightning Cable from Amazon are cheaper, stronger, and work really well.

While I like the Amazon brand, any certified cable should work, and a legitimate Apple Certified cable will usually have a “Made for iPhone / iPod / iPad” branding logo on it, kind of like a stamp of approval from Apple (you can read more about that here).

The Cable is Damaged

You may also see the “This cable or accessory is not certified and may not work reliably with this iPhone” error message with a damaged cable. This is particularly common if the charging cable has been submerged in water, corroded, or obviously damaged in any way, with fraying or chew marks that are clearly visible. If that’s the case, you’ll want to replace the cable anyway.

Again, the Amazon brand cables are good replacements and reasonably priced.

Less Likely, Something is Obstructing the Cable Charger or Port

A much less likely reason to see the error message, but still a possibility, is that something is physically obstructing the port or the charger. Basically if something is stuck or obstructed just enough to send a signal but not work properly, you may get the error message.

Most commonly however, is that something like pocket lint or pocket crud gets jammed in the port and will prevent charging from happening entirely, and in those situations you usually don’t get an error message at all because the port is so jammed that no current or signal is passed. This is more likely to happen with an iPhone, but I’ve seen it on an iPad where carpet lint and even Playdough was jammed in the charger port, and causing a periodic “not certified” message to show up. So check the ports and clean it out if you see anything in there, in some situations it can be a simple solution.

Are you apple guy? Your answers are familiar with the Apple service in my country. Well, I have 5 iphones and 4 ipads in my house and did whatever you said as well Apple service personal in my country. None of those work for me.

These are all the standard Apple canned responses. Truth is it's the iOS software looking for non-Apple branded charging gear so they can force you to buy Apple hardware to charge your Apple phone, or better yet, talk you into "upgrading" to the latest device; even though you might have JUST gotten your device set up so it's comfortable and easy to use.

Now Apple has started putting an IC in the charging cable that tells the phone what it is; and every time the iOS updates, it reflashes that chip so it's always changing.

And NO... this is NOT about Apple maintaining "Quality Control" over their devices; it' all about them locking users into their "Aspirational Brand Ecology" whether they want it or not.

I have both Apple and Android products in my home; and the Android devices don't have ANY of this BS EVER.

I can charge ANY of them with ANY brand or generic micro-USB cable from AYTHING... using ANY power brick from ANYTHING. Unless the brick or cable is actually DAMAGED, it works. PERIOD.

mnem

*Juicy*

The worst thing that happens is occasionally, like if I use a cheap-cheap $1-store micro-USB cable that's obviously thinner than Cappellini pasta, it will pop up a message saying "this device may charge slowly" or "For Faster Charging Use Original Charger".

BUT THEY STILL CHARGE. In most cases, they will still charge fully overnight.

This is part of what you bought into when you bought an Apple product; their expensive but very attentive customer-service oriented ecology.

If you want to do things with your Apple product for yourself, you've bought into the wrong brand; you want an Android product. ;)

Of course with Android, half the time you HAVE to do it for yourself... this is a double-edged sword. :p

Cheers,

mnem

*iPwned since nineteen-mumblety-mumble*

It is indeed a matter of buying good cables and a good charger block.

I use Belkin chargers for all of our iPhones (Yes; Apple certified) and never have a problem.

The chip in the cable is not there to maintain a "vendor lock", but because the cable is also an intelligent high speed data cable. It can do much more than just charge your phone . .. in contrast to many charging cables used for Android devices.

And no, the chip is NOT reflashed every time when there is a phone update. That would also be highly impractical, as in that case the cables could stop working for certain devices. From my experience I can tell that is NOT the case.

Certainly not an answer, but I have to say it is sad that the most obvious answer is never mentioned anywhere (certainly not on Apple forums). That obvious answer is that it is a bug in the operating system. If Apple were a more customer centric company, after reciving the same inquiry 1000 times they would have gone beyond the "canned" answers and instructed their programmers to trace the problem and either make a fix, or offer customers a work around. Lets face it, coming up with an "unsupported device" error is a reasonable error. Purposely cutting off the available charge voltage from reaching the battery charging circuit is a major blunder on Apple's part.

So far the only work-around I've found that always works is to dismiss the error, disconnect the charger, plug it back in, and wait at least a minute to make sure the error doesn't come up again.

The usual problem with this is that the cable you're using isn't a genuine apple cable but as you've said you have tried the original then the only other explanation is that it is the charging block itself that is the problem. After a while with iPhone 5's lightening charging block is that the gold plates inside start to score and once they are marked they are damaged so they will not function as how it used to do. Only suggestion is that you consider replacing the charging port that you can purchase from here and follow some simple steps also provided by iFixit. Hope this helped.

Part: iPhone 5 Lightning Connector and Headphone Jack

Tutorial: iPhone 5 Lightning Connector and Headphone Jack Replacement

iPhone 5 Lightning Connector and Headphone Jack Image

Hi, thanks for answer, in my iphone 5 i've already tried to change the dock connector and also tried to put my logic board in another working iphone.. So the problem is in the logic board for sure

yes the golden plates on the inside must have been damaged mate, so fragile, best advice is take it to your nearest phone repair show and ask the damage, sorry buddy! good luck!!

(Iphone 5)I've tried the lot. I put my phone on aeroplane mode and put the charger in, then the phone went off, then i got my other iPhone charger and put it in and its charging...i think. But the phone is still off as i don't want to turn it on to see the horror message. Its got the charging sign. Thanks for different ideas tho. :)

Had same problem - O2 sent me a new phone.

Hello , this is how is this issue today and worked for me -

Source- 5 ways to fix accessory may not be supported error

1- clean the charging port of your phone carefully using brush Or toothpick

2- try branded cable instead of local cable

3- dismiss the error while charging and wait for sometime

at last you can also make sure your charger contact is not broken Or Mismatched

Use a pin to align the charging metals connectors

See if this seems to be helpful

thank You So Much ..it did helped me ...thanks a lot

I had this problem and tried every fix including; reset, cleaning, different chargers, soft re boot, airplane mode etc. It was driving me mad!

Apple telephone support couldn't help and it took loads of attempts to get it to charge until I found my own solution:

Plug in your charger to the phone and power supply

'Ok' the annoying message - 'accessory may not be supported'

Turn the iPhone off while leaving the charger plugged in and switched on

When you turn your phone back on having left it for a while the charge will have increased. Turn it back off and leave it for a while longer and it will be fully charged

This has now worked consistently several times - happy days!!

Not perfect as you have to switch your phone off but, it works!

why would you turn it on to turn it off again?

Thanks it worked a little

This is 100% U2/Tristar/1608A1 IC Failure. For a permanent solution, you can find someone to replace the IC. There's actually very little of them around capable of this, but you should be able to find someone at http://boardrepair.info

I had this problem, and it was my a lack of power from the power outlet. I try a different one with my iPad A/C and it worked without a problem.

Give it a shot.

hey my tablet only charges when i dont move it and if i move it it will take all the power away and shut down i need help for that problem

Tried this no luck. Apple is so frustrating.

If you get an error message on the charger, this usually means that the iPhone does not see the supply voltage and charging current it needs.

So there is something wrong in the chain from;

wall charger - lightning cable - iPhone connector

Procedure to follow:

1) First check metal contacts on all . Should be shiny gold.

If not shiny: clean with soft plastic pin or wooden tooth pick (no metal pins!)

2) Non-Apple cables may have too thin metal wires, which restricts the current flow.

Solution: Buy an Apple certified one.

3) Non-Apple chargers may have too low supply voltage, which restricts charging power.

Solution: Buy an Apple certified one.

4) Non-Apple chargers may have too low supply current, which restricts charging power.

Solution: Buy an Apple certified one.

5) Cable may have broken metal wires inside (e.g. due to rough treatment)

Solution: Buy a new Apple certified one.

- This should solve the charging problem.

Sure hope your commission check from Apple get to you!

So what's your solution if you're getting this error message while using the original charging port and cord that came with you iPhone. Is that not Apple certified?

Then you should apply for the warranty at Apple. In case it has been roughly treated or just very long used (several years), it may have broken wires inside the cable that restrict current flow. This usually happens a lot sooner (than after several years) with other brands.

Alas, no commission check from Apple, as "Apple certified" in general means that some producer (e.g. Belkin) is selling a charger that is certified by Apple. It could also be Apple, but not necessarily.

Try replacing the charging port. This was probably mentioned somewere in the 99 other post Just wanted to make it an even 100 answers

Found this on another forum. Try putting the phone into airplane mode first and then charging. It worked for me.

it worked for me!!!

Worked for me too! But why? Now everytime I want to charge my iPhone I'll have to put it into airplane mode?

worked for me too!!!

Still got the message.

5s

Means that the charger or cable is faulty, but still is okay when the phone draws low current.

This is the case in Airplane mode, but even better would be to shut down the phone completely during charging..

Best solution is still to replace the cable and charger by a new "Apple certified" one. (So not necessarily made by Apple, but some brand and model approved by Apple; e.g. from Belkin.)

Unplug the USB charger from wall plug and charger cable. Unplug the charger cable from your phone too. Plug everything back and that should do the trick. It just worked for me.

This is so simple but this is what worked for me! I have an iPhone 5s

I just cleaned the charger tip and all was fine

Just the tip? ;)

I did the same too and it works. cleaned the charger tip :)))

This sounds the effects of a cheap lightning cable. Using a USB cable that is made of the highest quality materials will prevent the error message from appearing and guarantee that you'll always have a good cable handy.

Use an old tooth brush and some electrical contact cleaner in the charging port

The answer to this problem isn't the same for everyone as there is more than one cause/issue.

Firstly lint trapped inside the charger port hole on the phone can interfere with making a connection. Remove with a needle head or pin.

The charger may not output enough amps. Try a 2amp charger.

Don't plug the lighting cable into the phone until the charger is powered up.

You've killed the battery and left it dead for too long! Cycle the battery by repeatedly inserting the charger lead for a few seconds at a time until the phone wakes up.

Some none Apple leads have too much metal at the end of the lightening lead preventing the gold contacts from connecting; this will vary between phones; some will work whilst others won't.

Good luck!

1. plug your charger into the wall

2. turn of your phone

3. as its turning off before u see the spinning circle plug it in

4. wait for it to charge

5. turn the phone on and unplug charger

Hi

1, Plug phone into charger

2. Dismiss notification about accessory not supported

3. Turn on airplane mode

4. Turn off phone for 2 mins (leave plugged in)

5. Turn phone on and turn airplane mode off

This fixes it! :)

No it doesn't. I have to do this almost every day. I still get the same comment. And I am using the original charging cord that came with the phone.

I had this problem since updating, and it didn't dawn on me that since I had it plugged into my laptop, it was my antivirus that was disconnecting the feed.

Plugging into the charger worked fine. I had to turn off my Kaspersky so I could sync the phone. (I'll fix my Kaspersky when I get time to stop this from happening).

I have changed my charging port twice. Tried a lot of different cables.

I finally discovered,If I leave my phone laying for about 20 minuets, plug in the charger and it charges. Either that or charge it with the phone turned off.

Its a pain in the ___ but my Iphone 6 is 9 months old (Refurbished).

I replaced my logic board with one from a different phone just to prove its the u2 chip. Then but the original one back now everything works great. Did something need to be reset? Was there a bad connection somewhere? I'm not sure why. But I'm just glad to have my phone back.

Hey guys! I was using a pencil instead of paper clip to clean out my port, sounds really stupid I know, but nothing else was working so I gave it a shot. In the end it didn't work so as a joke I colored the gold prongs in with the graphite from a pencil and every broken charger I tried it with, it was 2 by the way, magically started working again, for some reason the graphite helps the connection! I just thought y'all should know becuase I am super happy I finally found a constant fix to my chargers! This always happens to me. Keep in mind this may do damage to your phone, it may also not I don't really know I just wanted to give a heads up for people who are cautious about that. Thanks!

I found on Amazon and eBay a wireless device that fix between the phone and case it stay plug in all the time so the port can not get dirty. If don't place it center or firmly on the base I do get the error. put placed correctly it work great. I have these all my phones and tablets with the same success.

I followed these threads and tried a lot of what was recommended to no avail, and finally took the issue to the Genius Bar at Apple this week, before I lost complete power on my iPhone and iPad. Turns out the issue was with the cable itself, and because the cord did not show wear and tear, Apple replaced it for free. End of story, and it's been working every since with no issues.

Try another cable, did U change the charging port for this iPhone before ?

You are aware this post was solved years ago.

edoardo rossi will be eternally grateful.

All Time: 1,283,073