The Kenmore 110 Series is an easy to use home Washing machine created by Kenmore.

"Ratcheting" noise in wash cycle only

During the wash cycle the machine makes a LOUD ratcheting sound. This is the only time it makes the sound and is not affected by different washing selections. The sound started as brief noise and has grown to a full time noise.

Any ideas?

I am having a problem with my Kenmore 500 washer - it works but during the wash cycle it make a loud terrible noise. I need help! I have fixed most of my things in my house. A older mom

Take a look at the hub of the agitator and see if it appears to be turning enough. It sounds to me like you may need a Agitator Repair Kit. To get you to the correct part we would need your exact model number.

The exact model is: Kenmore mod. 110. 21302010. A top loader and it does not have the standard agitator in the tub, just a small bump at the bottom. I spun the tub by hand this morning, it moved in both directions easily with no noise.

Tip the unit back to access the bottom of the machine, please look at the large pulley to see if it came loose.

Thanks, I will check that when I get home from work today.

Tim, What happened? How can I check if it it is really agitating? when I open the lid, the motor stops and I can not check if works. I am hearing a strange plastic noise when its washing. Everything normal during spinning.

Now the sound is gone but burned smell appeared.

The problem was a very simple issue in the end. A bolt... One... fell out. However it's the bolt that holds the main pulley on. As the bolt backed itself out the pulley worked it's way down and this model has a plastic cage over it. The pulley began eating it's way through the cage--- that was the ratchet sound and the burning smell. I put the bolt back in with a new lock washer and it has worked fine ever since. Total cost was 3 cents for the washer.

The washer is a kenmore model number 110.26292693 and its a top loader. The washer doesn't agitate while washing. Theres a squeaky note coming from washer. Found the belt had fallen off. Would a fallen off belt cause the washer to act this way?

Tim will be eternally grateful.