A washer series by Maytag with a low rate of customer satisfaction and a high rate of failure.

washer sounds like it wants to take off during spin cycle

My Bravos quiet series is 4 years old and out of warranty. I had a local repairman charge me $85 to show up and tell me that I needed a new bearing, inner and outer tub for a total of $875.00, Obviously I did not have the repair done as it is cheaper to shop for a new washer.

My question is Is this possible for a four year old machine?

I have always thought that Maytag was "Top of the line". I now have a different opinion. This ridiculous!!!

Maytag was taken over about 10 years ago by Whirlpool, lower end washer maker. Maytag isn't the same anymore.

My Maytag is 2 1/2 years old and the same thing just started happening. Luckily, I bought the Lowe's warranty, but the repairman hasn't come out yet. I am curious to see what they have to say.

I called Maytag and all they could do is say to check to make sure the machine is balanced, then they apologize and tell you there is nothing they can do. They did admit to knowing that some of their machines had a problem. WHAT HAPPENED, MAYTAG? They used to have such a great reputation.

I have a Maytag Bravos washer only 2 years old and has same problem. may tag customer service will do nothing about it. Stay away from Maytag. Not what they used to be. Just a piece of expensive junk

Search for Maytag Bravos bearing kit and you'll find a way to fix it for much cheaper. I had to do the same thing a few years back on my Maytag Neptune. Same deal -- Maytag wants you to replace the whole drum, but you can do just the bearings.

Most Helpful Answer

Tub Bearing

If the washer is making a loud noise the tub bearing might need to be replace. This is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. The manufacturer recommends that if possible the complete outer tub and bearing be replaced rather than attempting to replace just the bearing in the tub. If the bearing is bad the problem is going to get worse very quickly and so either the drum and bearing will need to be replaced or the washing machine.

Go here and insert your specific model number to get an idea of your parts cost:

http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Par...

Thanks for the help unfortunately my model number does not come up

MVW8450WQ0

I had a loud noise from a Maytag top loader, that sounded like it could have been from a bearing or maybe even the water pump,,,,but it was neither...it was the drive belt. After installing the new drive belt I heard the same noise; I thought, oh no, now what? I was attempting to cell phone record the noise in each of the cycles...and then the noise started to diminish and then the noise was completely gone. The new belt took a few minutes to seat...and once it had seated....walahhhh...time to wash clothes...$16.00 fix : )

Had the same problem, 4yr old machine. I wound up buying an identical unit on Craigslist for about $300. I plan to replace the bearing on my old unit and sell it online. If I'm lucky, I'll break even. There is a pretty good video (2 parts) on YouTube; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oqgfP3wM7.... You will need tool to press the bearing but lots of people sell the bearing and tool (3 day rental) on ebay for ~$100.

The tool looks like a threaded rod with nuts on both ends used to push the bearings into the seat? Why not just use washers (or even sockets that match the diameter of the bearings) and a threaded rod instead of buying this $100 tool? http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/B...

Very possible. Especially if it has endured many heavy loads. I know of a 5 year old Maytag Neptune that had the same diagnosis over 2 years ago. Never bothered with the repair. However it still works, just very noisy during the spin cycle.

One noise source is the drain pump hub assembly built into the pump pulley. I believe it is a slip clutch built into the pulley to deal with objects that might jam the pump. It contains a corrugated metal ring that slowly works its way upward out of the hub until it begins to touch the metal plate that forms the bottom of the pump. At that point it makes a terrible racket. You can work it back into place with a screwdriver, even without disconnecting the hoses. Just remove the belt and the three screws holding the pump in place. Tip it up and you can see the corrugated ring touching the bottom plate. Carefully pry between the pump base and the top of the ring as you turn the shaft. Move it a little at a time, and you can get it back into its original location with the top of the ring flush with the top of the pulley. You may want to tap on the bottom of the pulley to put the shaft back into its original position so the shaft turns freely. The problem will reoccur in a few years, but the fix is the same and the price is right: zero.

I have the same issue. Started sometime after once throwing an F1 error code that resolved on restart. Now the unit has a small leak from underneath. Repair person coming tomorrow. Will update with findings.

Repair guy replaced bearing and issue is resolved. With a refrigerator compressor issue and this the sears warranty service has more than paid for itself.

Tony, totally possible for bearings to be bad in your machine, if you can get the bearings off and replace your self may be a cheap fix. If you remove bearings take them to a industrial supply store and they can match up the #'s.

I hope this helped you out, if so let me know by pressing the helpful button.

This is a long shot but if the timer sequence gets out-of-sequence up because of computer, switch, or motor, problems, the machine may be trying to spin with some water still in it. As soon as it starts spinning stop it and look for water inside the tub. If there is, this is a clue that the drain/spin cycle is not timed correctly. Usually some kind of control panel failure. Also if the water pump fails or plugs up, it may not drain correctly and then start spinning with water in it. These things are worth checking as it may help the technical department zero in on the problem and fix it for something less than the national debt.

Apparently, yes. My friends' Maytag went the exact same way and they didn't get it repaired. They purchased a new one where I'll be doing laundry today as I await the part. Were it not for the service contract, I would be buying a new washer. I spent $455 to buy it five years ago, discounted from $650. Do we have to spend $1,000 to buy a reliable machine? Something is really wrong with America's manufacturing capabilities.

I think we could have the capability, companies just don't have the will to make good products. I think we would have to pay more, but it could be worth it. It seems like everything that the Germans make is the very best quality. It costs more too. I know that that I'd partly because of the shipping.

If Germans make better products, is it the people, the source parts, or the process? Any of those things can be brought to the US and we could have the same reputation. Problem is companies trying to squeeze profits out of a product line by cutting back on the expense of making it. Price does not equal quality...

That is true but, for whatever the reason German appliances have the best repair histories. Lets get Trump on it.

I have this problem too what happened to the maytag repair man that never got any calls. Disappointed in maytag

Tony will be eternally grateful.