A collection of guides and support to help with washer repair.

Why is my Whirlpool top-loading washer making a very bad noise?

After phenomenon first commenced I found a detached spring which I reinstalled but the noise plus jumping out of place continued. I was advised that the bearings may be in need of replacing.How can I ascertain this, and do the repair if possible?

I highly commend your world betterment outlook toward fixin life.

Thanks for bringing me hope where I was hopeless.

Is this computer in need of your repair assistance guide?

A model number would help to narrow your choices. Here are various descriptions of the springs Maytags use: http://www.repairclinic.com/Shop-For-Par...

Tub Bearing

If the washer is making a loud noise the tub bearing might need to be replace. This is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. The manufacturer recommends that if possible the complete outer tub and bearing be replaced rather than attempting to replace just the bearing in the tub. If the bearing is bad the problem is going to get worse very quickly and so either the drum and bearing will need to be replaced or the washing machine.

Tub Seal and Bearing Kit

If the washer is making loud noise the tub seal and bearing kit might need to be replace. This is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. If the bearing is bad the problem is going to get worse very quickly and so either the tub seal and bearing kit will need to be replaced or the washing machine.

Rear Drum with Bearing

If the washer is making a loud noise the rear drum with bearing might need to be replace. On this washer the bearing might not be sold separately, the entire rear drum might have to be replaced. This is a very involved repair and will require disassembling most of the washer. However, the problem is going to get worse very quickly and so either the drum and bearing will need to be replaced or the washing machine.

Bearing

Drive Pulley

If the washer is making a loud noise the drive pulley might be worn out, cracked, loose or bent. Remove the drive pulley and inspect it carefully. If it is damaged or defective replace it.

Pulley

If the washer is making a loud noise the drive pulley may be worn out. If the drive pulley is loose or wobbling it will need to be replaced

U-Joint Kit

If the washer is making a loud noise the U-Joint may have failed. This is the primary drive mechanism for the agitation motion in this washer. Although this is not a very difficult repair for a DIY'er with some experience, the part is expensive and so it may be worth considering a new washer.

Motor Coupling

If the washer is making a loud noise the motor coupling might have failed. The motor coupling connects the motor to the washer transmission. It is designed to fail if the washer is overloaded in order to protect both the motor and transmission.

Clutch

If the washer is making a loud noise in the spin cycle, the clutch assembly might be worn out. The clutch assembly makes the connection between the transmission and the inner tub. It is designed to allow the tub to get up to the proper spin speed gradually. As the clutch wears out it may become loud during spin or just after the spin cycle finishes. The clutch is not repairable, if it is loud or not working properly it will need to be replaced.

Drive Belt

If the washer is making a loud noise the drive belt might be defective. Over time the drive belt will dry out and start cracking, eventually a piece of the belt can break off resulting in a loud noise whenever the motor is running.

Transmission

If the washer is making a loud noise the transmission might be worn out or defective. There are many other more likely causes for noise from a washer. If the noise turns out to be caused by the transmission it may have to be replaced.

Drain Pump

If the washer is making a loud noise the drain pump might be going bad or might have something caught in it. Remove the drain pump from the washer and inspect it carefully. Look for anything that might be caught in it, a piece of wire, plastic, etc. If nothing is wrong with the pump, but it's still noisy it will have to be replaced.

Drive Motor

If the washer is making a loud noise the drive motor bearings may have worn out. Washer motors are normally almost silent when they run. If the motor is run without a belt hooked up to it and it's loud it will have to be replaced.

Water Inlet Valve

If the washer is noisy or loud, particularly when the washer is filling, the water inlet valve may be at fault. The noise can be caused by a restriction in the valve from mineral deposits. If it is the water inlet valve that's loud during the fill cycle it will need to be replaced. It is not safe to take apart these valves as they can fail and flood after disassembly.

Whirlpool cabrio had 43 min. Left and all the water from washer is now all throughout my house, how can I find out where the problem is without flooding out again?

This washing machine is only one yr nd ? Making noise when is spinning nd not loud so

I have to call to come nd see tanku

I went on YouTube and watched the video. It wasn't that hard. You will need a bearing and a bearing press tool,that I Google and found online for about 150.00 . You will need 2 people to do it.because you will have to take the drum out.and when putting it back in you don't want to drop it it hard. Watch the videos on youtube. Step by step instructions. I brought my washer right out in the open area in kitchen and had my laptop on counter and watched and pause video as I worked on my Cabrio. When your bearing goes bad ,it sounds like a jet engine when spin cycle is running. Your bearing will wear out faster if you don't use the HE laundry soap,because it gets all gunk ed up in there. I took the drum out and scribed the side off in bathtub. After I replaced bearing I always used HE SOAP.i took drum out again 2 years latter and it wasn't that dirty ,since I used HE laundry soap.so they are not kidding when they tell you to use HE laundry soap in that machine

winston patterson will be eternally grateful.