MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Mid 2009

Mid 2009 Model A1278 / 2.26 or 2.53 GHz Core 2 Duo processor EMC 2326

Trackpad is not always responding to mechanic click.

So without any apparent reason my trackpad is not reacting to mechanic clicks anymore. Only when the button is pressed for a longer time it registers.Sometimes it registers a click even though none occured. All the other funtions of the trackpad are still working properly.

Tried so far:

PMC-reset

Cleaning the trackpad and its edges with a soft cloth from the top and from the bottom after removing the battery.

Try using a single edge razor blade to go around the edges of the trackpad and see if that clears whatever is blocking the click. Ralph

Hey Frank thanks for replying. The mechanic/tactile feedback from the trackpad is normal, it's just the recognition of the clicks that is not working properly. What I found out though, the button will respond if pushed hard rather than light.

by Ben

The razor worked a little and made it better, but taking a balled fist and hitting the trackpad with medium force did the trick.

by Solo Computer Services

Change sensitivity in System Preferences

Also there is a known issue with crimped loose track pad cables where by design it runs over the battery. The cable is routed through the lower case over a sort of guillotine or gate - repeated pressing on the spacebar and keys can hammer the cable to the point of working lose from the connector on one end, or crimping cutting the ribbon cable.

Known fixes include:

• smoothing the cable flat, or
  • wrapping it with a scrap paper jacket to stop bouncing and shorting.

If this answer is acceptable please return and mark it.

Good Luck,

N.

Thanks for replying. I didn't plan on opening the case of the Laptop. I'm currently looking for either a simple trick to fix the problem or to fix it until I get back to my local reseller (which will be in about 2 weeks) Thanks anyways, perhaps there is a way of fixing the issue without having to open the case for which I neither have the tools nor the technical expertise.

by Ben

I have the exact same problem right now. It started yesterday. My trackpad works fine, and it registers all the movements and swipes of my hand, but only the mechanical click does not work. If i repeatedly press hard in the same place, it works. Unfortunately, I am told the problem can only be fixed with a replacement of the trackpad which is a bit expensive. However, i am waiting it out just to see if it miraculously starts working :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuYO0I-DY...

This video shows you where the screw to adjust the sensitivity is found. Many people in the comments mention that slamming the trackpad (not too roughly) worked for them so I tried it, and my trackpad registers clicks much better now.

before anyone goes slamming in to their GLASS trackpad, the pram reset instructions given my apple is NOT COMPLETE

after doing the formal pram reset as suggested by apple, there is actually one more thing that needs to be done. shutdown, and hold down power button until light on front comes on, release, startup, and voila, clicks registering again. i found this answer on (of all places) yahoo answers:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?...

Had this problem with a 2008 MacBook Aluminium Unibody. Removed the battery and turned the tri-wing screw about 1/6th of a turn clockwise.

Now the mechanical click and actual click command match up perfectly.

I hit the trackpad and it worked (seriously)

Ben will be eternally grateful.