Business class desktop computer introduced in 2007.

XP will not upgrade to Windows 8

I purchased the upgrade for Windows 8 thinking all would be easy and fast.

After much research and time, I have come to the conclusion that XP just won't upgrade unless you have a 64 bit system Is this true?

Can I add 32 bit to the present machine and use the upgrade that I have already purchased.

Should I just get a new PC? Can this machine be made useful and secure on the internet?

Here is the Quick Specs sheet for this system: DC5700 Business PC

Please clarify - what is Windows 10? Do you mean Windows 8? (latest released version)

I apologize - yes, I mean Windows 8 - I was getting the Microsoft Office Windows 10 confused with this situation.

Most Helpful Answer

Please review the systems quick spec sheet I posted above to locate what your exact model is.

Most of this series is not able to run Windows 8. You might be able to get one of the Core 2 Duo based systems but you'll need to upgrade your memory & graphics board.

Review this MS Windows Upgrade help FAQ: Upgrade to Windows 8.1 from Windows Vista or Windows XP. Make sure you check your hardware fully.

Given the cost of a new system with Windows 7 or 8 already installed you may want to think about getting a new system Vs trying to upgrade this system to either Windows 7 or 8.

Thanks Dan!! I appreciate it so much - I was thinking that the hardware needed to make this machine "work" with win 8 might be expensive. I am about to have to have a long sick leave from work and was thinking that I could tinker around with this system while I am out and maybe upgrade myself. Thanks again.

These computers are not exactly fit for Windows 7. It'll do it but it will struggle. I would get a off-lease or refurbished business system instead of spend money on this system getting it Windows 7 ready.

Even installing a GPU is a lost cause. These only take ADD2 cards, which run off of the iGPU and give you a DVI connection. These are not dedicated cards; they only add ports to the system. I found this out because I had to look into it for mine.

I agree Nick - Both Windows 7 and 8 required much more CPU, memory & GPU to run effectively.

You can't upgrade from XP to Win 8 you have to install a fresh OS

This system will work with Windows 7, 32 bit. You'll still be able to use it until 2020. Upgrade Ram to at least 2GB. You can buy Win 7 Home Premium on Amazon or eBay.

First of all you can not upgrade your os directly from XP to windows 8.1. you can only install a fresh os. But your machine should be compatible with 64 bit.

If you have not then you need to get a new machine.

it is not possible to upgrade or roll back windows from xp to windows 8 . if u really want to get it done you have to go step by step xp>vista>windows 7>windows 8 . only than u can get it done . or you may try to install a fresh windows system .

You can not upgrade xp to 8 as xp doesn't recognize iso files, you will have to install a whole new operation system via disc or usb.

I have a small form factor dc5700 refurbished from newegg come with win 7 pro windows upgraded it to win 10 pro runs great and has for a year now. Has a duacore processor 4gs ram and two 160gb's hdds. Runs fine windows 10 is fast.

chelton will be eternally grateful.