13" aluminum unibody, 2.0 or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor.

Will not sleep when closing lid

Hi;

The noted Macbook will sleep automatically per settings in System Preferences and when  > Sleep is selected. However, when the lid is closed it will not sleep and the back-lit Apple logo on the cover stays lit.

I've tried creating a new user - issue remains. Tried a clean install of Mavericks - issue remains.

This Macbook recently received a new screen (from iFixit) which in all other respects works fine, and there were no issues during installation.

Is this a hardware or software issue? Any pointers for further differential diagnosis are welcomed.

Did you replace the LCD alone or did you switch out the complete lid assembly?

Dan;

I replaced the entire display assembly. I ordered here on iFixit, but noted that it had a screen glass labeled MacBook Pro rather than MacBook. My understanding is that they are the same internally

Almost the same ;-} Still different enough. The MacBook & MacBook Pro have different locations in the lid that holds the lid magnet that tells the system when the lid is closed.

That's interesting, and would certainly explain the behavior.

This is really frustrating. I was trying to decide whether to replace the LCD or the display assembly. Given the difficulty of removing the glass, I decided to get the full assembly and practice with the glass on the old one when I could take more time with it.

It sure would be good of iFixit to send the *exact* part ordered or at least explain the differences if the exact replacement is not available.

You'll need to locate the magnet in your your original assembly and then open up your new assembly and move the magnet to the correct location.

The easiest way to do this is using a metal washer and slide it along the edge of the frame that faces the keyboard. Then use some tape to mark the locations on the lid (both). To verify this is the issue get a rare earth magnet to emulate the lid magnet and slide it along the keyboard across the location you found the magnet in the lid the screen should go into sleep mode.

Follow this IFIXIT guide: MacBook Unibody Model A1278 Front Display Glass Replacement. Then move the magnet to the correct location.

Thanks, Dan. I'll consider this after I've practiced with the glass in the original display assembly.

Judging by what you have said, it seems like it's a hardware issue, the LCD assembly only contains magnets which trigger the sleep cable located with the HDD cable, to resolve this issue I would suggest a replacement of the Hard drive/ IR Sensor cable

Hope this helps

Hi Waseem;

The hard drive cable is the same as it was originally - nothing changed except the display assembly.

tjod will be eternally grateful.