Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Magic Chef model MCWC50DST wine cooler EFF error?

This is for a Magic Chef model MCWC50DST wine cooler. The unit stops working with a "EFF" error on the digital temp display randomly. It will restart when the power cord is disconnected and plugging in again. It runs OK for a few days and then EFF again!

I keep the coils free of dust frequently.

I have this same model but a different problem.

The Starting Relay on the compressor failed and I was able to source a new part. The compressor still does not start, display is normal, nothing smells burned, compressor not warm, no voltage across the run winding and the thermal breaker. I suspect something on the control board or bad windings on the compressor. What should they Ohm at?

don't think I've eve seen such bad reviews on a product and absolute lack of repair information. My best bet would be an Evaporator Fan Failure, but it's just a guess as the manual says nothing about error codes. Sorry I could not be of more help.

Thanks for the help! I looked up Magic Chef Evaporator fan failure EFF error and the link said the motor usually fails after 2 years, our unit is over 5 years old. I tried blowing out the motor to see if that helps, if the error happens again I'll try replacing the motor.

Just last night I put a unit like this under my counter where a dishwasher used to be. Is that not enough room to vent? EFF is blinking.

Warren McDunn will be eternally grateful.