0

Johan Larsen
11

Black LCD after water damage, rest works

Hi, I'm repairing my gf's iphone 4s which she dropped in the toilet about 5 months ago. Now I decided to try to fix it. I discovered that the phone worked "inside", i can turn on the flashlight by using the touch and knowing where to touch, I can use the mute button (it vibrates correctly) and take screenshots (it says the sound). The only thing that didn't worked was the LCD, there was no picture - completely blank.

Then I thougt, okay, new screen and then its good again so ordered a new screen but when I was replacing the old one i discovered that the LCD connector had some damage to it. Solder points for three of the pins had gone black with some kind of dirt on them and after the new screen was installed, the screen was still black, but with the inside still working as before.

I have read something about water damage and seen that it IS possible to replace a LCD connector. But should I try to put the motherboard in isopropyl alcohol (99%) and see if they will be clean again or should I get it soldered new?

I have tried cleaning the LCD connector with a toothbrush and isopropyl alchohol and hasn't really helped.

The only good thing is that the screen on startup very short shows the Apple logo but disappeas very quickly again. Inside it is still booting up correct.

There may be errors in my spelling, pretty tired today ;)

PS: It is not the battery, one morning I forgot to turn off the phone which resulted in that it had an alarm at 6AM in the morning and I swapped the battery from the waterdamaged to my own and it was completely fine. I also get a voltage reading of about 4,1-4,2 volts when it's disconected

Edited by: Johan Larsen ( )

1

con

Hi there I would say it's the damaged pins that's giving you the black screen I would bring to someone with motherboard repair knowledge to find out if it can be fixed

Me too. Is it possible to do yourself? (has some experience with soldering, but not anywhere prof)

Johan Larsen,

0

alti94
35

Ok, water damage is usually solved with isopropyl alcool in most of the cases. By the way if the water has corroded some lcd pin its obvious the connector is permanently damaged. So you need to replace it. I don't know if you have experience with that so tell me if you want to replace it, i will give you some tips.

bye.

Thank you alti94. I would like some tips on the replacing of the connector, dont have any experience with soldering that small things

Johan Larsen,