Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

Battery only charging when asleep or shutdown

My MacBook is currently only charging when asleep or shutdown. The battery itself is the original and has 1057 cycles which I know is very high, but it says its in "fair condition". My charger was bought 6 months ago. When using the MacBook the light on the charger is green, however, it states that the battery is not charging. When I put it into sleep mode or shut it down the light becomes orange and it starts to charge. I will be ordering a new battery due to the age, but could this be an issue with charger or the DC board?

I have a early 2008 13" MacBook 4.1 ( Black) . It works great, i have replaced with a new battery but this will only charge if the machine is in sleep mode or Shutdown . When it's on and plugged in, the light on the MagSafe plug is orange and the battery icon has a little lightning bolt in it. i did the SCM setting but still remain same ..

I don't think you have a problem with the systems logic but with the batteries.

Have you tried resetting the SMC Intel-based Macs: Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC).

I would start there. Let us know what you discover.

I forgot to state in the original post that I have already reset the SMC to no avail.

Lets see what a new battery does then.

same issue , i did the same but no luck...

I would really like to know if you managed to fix your macbook. I have exactly the same problem, I bought new battery, new charger, and I changed the MagSafe DC-In Board, but nothing has changed. The battery only charges when the macBook is closed or shut down.

Furthermore the computer does not boot without battery with only the DC plug connected.

Please let me know if you managed to fix you macbook.

Finally I resolved by replacing the battery charger. Verify that your battery charger provides the proper power for your computer.

Great news! If Kevin had replied tell us that didn't help I would have recommended doing this next. You may want to clean the system contacts as often effects things.

I have the same problem as well. Has anyone found the solution yet. I have tried SMC so many times now. Still no luck.

Did you replace the MagSafe charger as well as check the socket in the system? You'll want to make sure the connector contacts are clean and the plastic is not melted.

Same problem to me. I'm wondering about my aftermarket charger.

But my macbook doesn't turn on when the battery is out. So, I'm pretty sure.

Is there any cheap solution for a new magsafe or a try to repair it?

Kevin will be eternally grateful.