0

Andrea Beaulieu
1

Nexus 5 Touch Screen stopped working

Discussion Topic

okay so I dropped my phone in water, I know, lame but here is what is going on:

After I did that, I opened the phone up, placed it on rice for a few days.

It turns on fine, it rings, I get notifications and for about 5 minutes, I was able to use it but then the touchscreen stopped working.

It does not recognize touch at all. It did off and on for a few more times after that.

I placed it in rice again for another day with no improvement.

I am wondering if someone can help me diagnose the issue so I can do the repairs myself. I do not know what to look for in terms of whether or not I need a new touch screen all together or a new digitizer?

HELP!

Edited by: Scott Dingle ( )

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/Answers.

iRobot,

1

krisfuqua
443

What you would need to do is follow the guide (link below) in order to get it open then find where the digitize cable plugs into the board. Look for corrosion and clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. Let it dry and turn it back on to see if its working again. If not the only other step is to plug in a new working screen and see if it is a problem with your current screen or if there is board damage causing the issue.

Here is the tear down link to get inside: Nexus 5 Teardown

Hope this helps.

1

Yukiyinyin
43

Here are the most professional tips about how to tell which Screen part you need for the Nexus 5:

LCD Only: If the image under the glass is broken and the touch screen is NOT then you only need a Nexus 5 LCD screen.

Digitizer Screen Only: If the top touch panel or aka glass top is cracked or broken but the image under it is fine, then you only need the Replacement Digitizer Screen for Nexus 5.

Complete Screen with Touch Panel and LCD: If the top touch panel for is broken and the LCD image is either black liquid or cracked you need a complete Nexus 5 Digitizer and LCD Screen Assembly.

The Nexus 5 replacement parts are for your reference.

0

Eric Zhu
1

Mine has the same problem.. It's really weird that the phone is ok for like 5mins instead of breaking down right away.. Demanding for an solution..

0

Goemi
1

So is there a video / picture guide to replace the touch digitizer screen only?

The only guides I can find are for both the touch and LCD screen.

0

wagner3650
1

i have the same issue!!!

omg

0

Cyllan Hicks
1

Hi I need some help. My Nexus5 screen is not working well. The numbers in the middle are unresponsive. 2-5-8-0. I also can't answer calls, but I can turn it on/off and adjust the volume. Need some help.

0

swathi
1

i bought nexus 5 phone around 2 months back...Now am facing issue..my touch is not responding at all...any suggestions.???

Add Your Reply