Nexus 5

The fifth Google Nexus phone. Officially announced on October 31, 2013, it sports a 4.95" 1080p display, a 2.26 GHz Snapdragon processor, and LTE support. Powered by Android 4.4.2, KITKAT. Manufactured by LG.

Nexus 5 Touch Screen stopped working

okay so I dropped my phone in water, I know, lame but here is what is going on:

After I did that, I opened the phone up, placed it on rice for a few days.

It turns on fine, it rings, I get notifications and for about 5 minutes, I was able to use it but then the touchscreen stopped working.

It does not recognize touch at all. It did off and on for a few more times after that.

I placed it in rice again for another day with no improvement.

I am wondering if someone can help me diagnose the issue so I can do the repairs myself. I do not know what to look for in terms of whether or not I need a new touch screen all together or a new digitizer?

HELP!

This question was migrated from http://meta.ifixit.com/Answers.

by iRobot

Most Helpful Answer

What you would need to do is follow the guide (link below) in order to get it open then find where the digitize cable plugs into the board. Look for corrosion and clean it off with isopropyl alcohol and a toothbrush. Let it dry and turn it back on to see if its working again. If not the only other step is to plug in a new working screen and see if it is a problem with your current screen or if there is board damage causing the issue.

Here is the tear down link to get inside: Nexus 5 Teardown

Hope this helps.

Mentioned Items

Here are the most professional tips about how to tell which Screen part you need for the Nexus 5:

LCD Only: If the image under the glass is broken and the touch screen is NOT then you only need a Nexus 5 LCD screen.

Digitizer Screen Only: If the top touch panel or aka glass top is cracked or broken but the image under it is fine, then you only need the Replacement Digitizer Screen for Nexus 5.

Complete Screen with Touch Panel and LCD: If the top touch panel for is broken and the LCD image is either black liquid or cracked you need a complete Nexus 5 Digitizer and LCD Screen Assembly.

The Nexus 5 replacement parts are for your reference.

Mine has the same problem.. It's really weird that the phone is ok for like 5mins instead of breaking down right away.. Demanding for an solution..

So is there a video / picture guide to replace the touch digitizer screen only?

The only guides I can find are for both the touch and LCD screen.

i have the same issue!!!

omg

Hi I need some help. My Nexus5 screen is not working well. The numbers in the middle are unresponsive. 2-5-8-0. I also can't answer calls, but I can turn it on/off and adjust the volume. Need some help.

i bought nexus 5 phone around 2 months back...Now am facing issue..my touch is not responding at all...any suggestions.???

has anyone solved this issue? I have the same thing. My phone screen looks fine (the image and so on) but the touch ability has been compromised.

I'm facing the same problem :(

The screen appears to be working perfectly, only the touch its not working.

As others mentioned you need to replace the LCD Screen and Digitizer which come as an assembly. I would not recommend trying to replace one without the other.

TIP: If you just need to access the phone. You can connect a regular USB mouse with an OTG cable.

Also if you have the opposite problem (where the touchscreen works, but you can see it), you can use a SlimPort to HDMI adapter to see the screen on a monitor. I don't think you can use both an OTG and SlimPort at the same time.

I am using nexus 5 and I am not able to add whatsapp emoticons for the past 2 weeks. Now I did a factory data reset and even then, I am facing the same issue. On testing it using an app called "Screen Touch Test" the left side vertical touch region is completely blank without any dots and I assume the problem lies there. Any possible solution for this?

by Mani

Hi Andrea,

How did you resolve the issue? I have the same issue. Can get calls, see notifications etc.. but touch isnt responding.

Andrea Beaulieu will be eternally grateful.