Complete disassembly and installation guides for most recent Mac laptops and consumer desktops.

beeps 3 times at start up and won't boot

What does it mean when the LED blinks and the computer beeps 3 times but won't boot? Thanks.

This happened after trying to install a new SSD. My mac is beeping after installing the hard drive. I have cleaned the RAM slots, swapped RAM chips and swap original chips with the three beeps returning each time. The original hard drive loscked during an update and will not complete the update. If I put it back in the Mac it tries to run the install and fails without the three beeps. What could the brand new hard drive have to do with the beeps?

Mac RAM Kits
Speed up your Mac. Max out its memory.
Mac RAM Kits
Get more memory out of your Mac.

Here is the link to the lights flashing.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT2811

And here are the beeps. Good luck. Ralph

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1547

It would appear you have a memory problem--try reseating your memory. Ralph

agreed +

tried all the memory that i have but same issue i press it hard to make sure it perfectly fit in to the slot still 3 beeps and nothing comes up on the screen

Did you ever figure out the problem? I am now having the same problem and cannot figure it out for the life of me.

I agree too, sounds like memory at fault.

Check the memory you're trying matches the speed of the original. If it's got more than one memory slot, try both, and if possible, blow into the memory slot to clear out any dust that may cause it to make bad contact deep inside.

I have a DELL 6400 here with me now that's had that problem, I fixed one part and rebuilt it, but dust/fluff was all around a RAM slot and some got pushed inside causing the memory to fail randomly. It's been running fine for 5 hours since it was cleaned with an air-can.

Good luck.

I always have the same problem, I tried restarting but it only gives me the beeping sound

I tried unplugged the power from the power live it a few minutes and try turning it on but when I press the power button my imac still gives the beeping sound after every second.......can anyone helped me with my problem??please

teachermark09 will be eternally grateful.