Repair and disassembly guides for GE Microwave ovens.

Door contact? preventing microwave from running?

JVM1340BW002

I believe the switch or relay that tells the microwave the door is closed is preventing it from running. If I hold the door in a specific position it will run. Can this switch be changed easily? What is the part number?

Thanks,

Scott

Free shipping on all orders over $100 or containing a Pro Tech Toolkit!

Browse Our Store

Scott Halseth, the switch is called Door Sensing Switch, part number WB24X829. There may be more than one. When the door is opened during a cook cycle, the monitor switch, door sensing switch, primary interlock switch and power relay are deactivated. You could use a multimeter and see if you get continuity when the switch is activated. Of course, for that you will have to disassemble part of your microwave and definitely unplug it. Remove the built-in microwave from the wall and keep it in an open space. Remove the microwave screws and take the cover out.Remove the 2 inside screws from the plastic panel where switches are snapped in. As always, this is a microwave and carries quite a punch if not properly service and discharged. Please be aware of this and if you have not done a repair on those, you might consider some professional help with that. Hope this helps, good luck.

Now if I can ask, if I farm this out to someone is it worth it to repair or am I better off finding a new one?

Well, the switches are around $15+ and probably an hour or two in labor if you do this yourself. Depends how comfortable you are fixing things. Now I am not sure what a shop rate is, you might have to inquire first. All a matter of economics.

I know this is not a total fix, but, after I close the door (without slamming) I gently push the door up from the bottom. It then starts. I think maybe the door had been pulled down slightly at the hinge. It worked for me, for now.

Bonnie, thanks, I first put glass of water in and ran for 2 minutes, pushed cancel and the oven quit running when door open. Next gently closed the door and pushed it up like you did and it's working! Thanks so much, saved me a service call.

I have the same issue - microwave works when the door is pushed up but stops working when I let go - do I have to reinstall the door?

My microwave has been acting up lately, starting on it's own after time was up and other weird things.

Took it apart, tightened all ground screws and put it back together.

Same problem. I then started it and held the door frame up a bit at the bottom opposite the hinges.

It worked perfect, the switch was now making proper contact.

On my model on the bottom of the door there is a steel bar mounted to the chassis by two screws with a hole that mates to a pin on the door for opening. I installed three small washers on the pin which forced the door up at the closing end.

It works fine now.

DB

My over the range microwave shows error “door” and does not turn on.  But after repeated pushing the button it does.  Any help.

I have this issue also. Mine will also turn on the light and start running with no time on the clock! I will never buy another LG. I had a Panasonic for 18 years (i got it as a wedding gift!), then bought the LG and have had it only 2 years.

Knowing others have the same issue, item should have been recalled or customers should have received a replacement part. Over time, technology should get better, not worse. So my old unit lasting 18 years shows true quality and workmanship.

Scott Halseth will be eternally grateful.