Model A1181: 1.83, 2, 2.1, 2.13, 2.16, 2.2, or 2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo processor

What's the difference between 'Santa Rosa' and 'Penryn'?

I'm preparing to clean the guts out of my Mac and am thinking about buying a new fan and heat sink. In the guide, MacBook Core 2 Duo Heat Sink Replacement, there are pictures showing 'Santa Rosa/Penryn' alternatives. If I understand correctly, 'Penryn' is the CPU on a 'Santa Rosa' platform - a group of processing chips, or 'chipset'. The thing is, my CPU is a 'Merom', like the 'Penryn', on a Santa Rosa platform. The question is, 'Why is the picture called the 'Santa Rosa/Penryn' alternative, rather than the 'Merom/Penryn' alternative, or just the 'Santa Rosa' alternative?' I want to know because I'm sourcing a fan and heat sink, which I understand are different for Santa Rosa and Penryn, but nowhere is there any mention of Merom. Can I be confident that if I buy a fan and heat sink which look exactly like the ones shown in the guide for the 'Santa Rosa/Penryn' alternative (rather than the earlier MacBooks) it will be the right one for my 'Merom Santa Rosa' machine?

McD, take a look on here

Thanks a lot! I thought I'd been through all those FAQ's, but I guess I missed that one.

Yes, strictly speaking, that answers the question - the title here - but it misses the underlying point directly relating to the iFixit guide: 'Why is the picture called the 'Santa Rosa/Penryn' alternative, rather than the 'Merom/Penryn' alternative, or just the 'Santa Rosa' alternative?'

In any case, strictly speaking again, this isn't really a repair question and should have been posted elsewhere. (I've forgotten where, but did notice it just before posting: 'Metafix' or someting.) Sorry.

Also, and this isn't about repairs, either, but I can't get the formatting to work. There should be four paragraphs here - break after '...missed that one.', after '...'Santa Rosa' alternative', and after '...Sorry.' - but I've had a look at 'Formatting Help' and I can't get it to work.

As you found out the comment block does not allow for line breaks. It the WIki's design.

Guides are created by volunteers - they name things the way they think appropriate.

The formatting of comments (or the lack thereof) is determined by the code in the WIKI frame the founders of iFixit self-help form chose to use.

If this answer is acceptable please remember to return and mark it.

Fair enough.

I hope you haven't taken offence, because none was intended.

McD will be eternally grateful.