Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Can I Upgrade Airport card to get Bluetooth 4.0 and BLE?

Just wondering if I bought a airport card for a 2012 macbook pro and swapped into my early 2011 13" macbook pro, would it then work with Bluetooth 4.0 and BLE?

Cheers

Please help me

can you confirm that bluetooth 4.0 module is the BCM94331PCIEBT4AX ?????

Thank you very much

no it is not, BCM94331PCIEBT4AX is the Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR

BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX is the Bluetooth 4.0

that C needs to be there!!! DONT FORGET THE C

CCCCCCCC

AHHHHHHH!!!!!

"yer welcome"

BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX Bluetooth 4.0

http://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/...

This guy is selling BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX Bluetooth 4.0

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BCM94331PCIEBT...

how should the BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX be reported in the OS X System Report?

I see

Manufacturer: Broadcom

Chipset: 20702A3

Firmware Version: v151 c5844

Is that correct?

Your current built-in Bluetooth is 2.1+EDR to get to Bluetooth 4.0 the easiest way is to use an external USB adapter. Or, follow this FIXIT guide MacBook Pro 13" Unibody Early 2011 AirPort/Bluetooth Board Replacement the Mid-2012 model has the AirPort/Bluetooth board that supports Bluetooth 4.0. If I remember correctly is a Broadcom BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

Most Helpful Answer

Just to correct this thread for the help of others, you need the CAX card:

The Bluetooth 4.0 part is BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX.

The Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR part is BCM94331PCIEBT4AX.

As far as I can see, it's obvious that Apple has dropped support for Handoff with 2011 MBP's, at least with the beta so far. I would imagine this will remain the same, as Handoff never really "officially" worked for my MBP (early 2011) even with the first beta, regardless of the option which showed in the "General" pref pane at the time.

It's kind of irritating for those of you who do not do some research before asking questions... but in order for Handoff to work for a machine that it does not natively work for, you need to upgrade your wireless card to the 2012 . If your system does not support the new wireless card (in other words, doesn't have all or the right cables attached to the motherboard), Handoff will not work for you, regardless of what you do. Simply adding a bluetooth dongle will not work either, unfortunately...

So, for those who have early 2011 MBP's and who are willing to upgrade the wireless card, you may have luck with keeping this enabled, so long as you follow the instructions that the user @iammatthius included on page 4 on this thread:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.p...

http://d-h.st/2eZ

1) open Terminal type sudo nvram boot-args="kext-dev-mode=1"

2) reboot your MBP

3) your wifi will not be working at this moment, replace the file IO80211Family.kext in Go>Computer>System>Library>Extensions

4) open Terminal type as below:-

sudo chown -R root:wheel /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo chmod -R 644 /System/Library/Extensions/IO80211Family.kext

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

5) now reboot your MBP again.

6) now you will see System Preferences>General> will have handoff enable option

7) open Terminal type kextstat | grep AirPort

As with any OS modification like this, it is only temporary. Each time there is a system update (and the IO80211Family.kext is modified, removed or updated), Handoff will not work for you anymore, and you must go through this process again each time there is an update which changes this. Some updates may not affect our little modification, so unless you do not see the option anymore in the "General" pref pane, you shouldn't worry about redoing it.

However, a word of advice, I would keep a copy of that kext file, as you never know when that link may break. I would also encourage whoever is able to modify it to work with our setup to keep it up-to-date.... A small request from me and the community

Upgraded to the final release, needed to reapply the fixes outlined above, and everything is working perfectly again.

I tried to follow this, but after step one and the reboot, it doesn't let me do anything. Like I am locked out or not running admin priv. Running El Capitan on a late 2011 MBP 15. Yes, I replaced the Airdrop/Bluetooth board with the correct one (with the "C"). I'm a novice when it comes to Macs so please bear with me.

can someone please upload that file again ?

They are compatible, just replace the cards

so adding this means that when upgraded to yositime the 2011 will support handoff?

At this time point the answer is No. Apple has linked Yosemite directly to the system ID string so these features are limited to certain models not the given Bluetooth hardware it could have been upgraded or added (this could change). Review the following Bluetooth LE Adapters Don't Enable OS X Yosemite's 'Handoff' on Older Macs.

http://d-h.st/2eZ

2) reboot your MBP

4) open Terminal type as below:-

sudo kextcache -system-prelinked-kernel

sudo kextcache -system-caches

5) now reboot your MBP again.

yes thats it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BroadCom-Apple-B...

I just upgraded to Yosemite Beta 4 (14A379b), reapplied the fixes, and everything is happy again!

Beta 4???? Now GM released.

Public Beta = Beta 4 (14A379b)...

Developer = Golden Master Candidate 1 (14A379a)

Just upgraded from Yosemite Beta 4 (14A379b) to Beta 5 (14A386b) and did *not* need to reapply the fixes. Everything still functional.

Just upgraded from Yosemite Beta 5 (14A386b) to Beta 6 (14A388b) and did *not* need to reapply the fixes. Everything still functional.

great thanks! i also have a macbook pro 17-inch mid 2010 the board is bit def and only has three antenna plugs on it is this a problem or could i maybe replace the antenna to match the new board too

So far only the dual function (combo) AirPort boards have been tried. The 17" MBP uses discreet bluetooth & WiFi boards and they are not near each other. At present there is no options for your system.

I just updated to the pre-release of 10.10.1 (14B17) and while applying the fix, I noticed a message that two errors were thrown for the BCM drivers (invalid parameters) and would be excluded. Once I rebooted, I had no wifi or bluetooth. I restored the original IO80211Family.kext and things are fine now (however, with out any continuity functionality).

Any thoughts on how we will move forward and keep this functionality working?

High cost

Original Bluetooth 4.0 wifi card Airport Card for Macbook Pro A1278 A1286 2011 2012year BCM94331PCIEBT4CAX

Nevermind! I found my answer on another site.

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/2011...

for any one that is running "El Capi" and don't have alot of knowledge on how to use Mac's. Good Luck & hope this works for you as it worked for me.

We have been using the REDBear BLE-MINI-BLUETOOTH-4.0 and they discontinued the board with no replacement, I am looking for a suitable replacement for the BLE card any suggestions?

You'll need to poke around the Arduino & Raspberry sites to see whats available for your project. We don't get into development projects here.

Nenad Tarlac will be eternally grateful.