Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

What causes clicking noise?

My 7 year old GE Profile refrigerator and freezer is working but there is a constant clicking noise. The panel display is blinking and showing -43F and -37F.

Most Helpful Answer

Since the temperature is too warm, the clicking is probably your compressor overload relay. If the compressor is too hot or pulling a lot of amps, the relay will break the circuit to the compressor to protect it. If the condensor coils are dirty this can cause the compressor to run longer and with less air flow it will overheat. The condensor fan motor could have something caught in the blades also.

Take the back access panel off. Is it dirty? Is the fan working? Is the compressor hot? Listen for the clicks. The relay is on the left side of compressor. Is that the noise?

Unplug it, Let it cool down then clean the coils with a vacuum. Check the fan blade, it should turn freely.

You need to register you name with iFixit so no one else can get it and we can snd you notifications using the @.

Mayer, could you explain how I get an AVIATOR? Also, I guess I'm missing something while registering cause I've added my email etc.

Thank you

@kaykay, I forgot this early in the morning, but Kat-Kay can tell you.

Usually a clicking noise is a magnet being energized and moved in and out of position. This could be something getting a weak connection a part failing or it could be whatever is sending it the signal to energize that is causing the problem. If it is constant are you positive it is a click click sound and not a part maybe loose and vibrating and humming or anything like that?

can a bad condenser fan motor cause the main board to click every 2 seconds

We had a regular clicking/ticking noise that was driving us crazy.  No article on the internet addressed it, and it would come and go erratically - I could never get it to make the noise when I pulled the refrigerator out and searched.  That turned out to be an important clue - my wife finally spent $120 to get a repairman out, and it turned out to be a warning label on the power cord being blown by the exhaust fan against the back of the unit.  He said he'd seen that happen a dozen times. I'm putting this here so others can avoid the same facepalm moment.

Janice Madsen will be eternally grateful.