A television game console produced by Sony Computer Entertainment, first announced February 20, 2013 and released November 15, 2013.

PS4 Blue light of death fix?

Re posting an unanswered and now archived question with new heading in hope of help....

Bought a PS4 from a Christmas church top fund raising car boot in UK

Box was sealed and I paid £480.00 but when I have set it up I get the blue light issue. I did get a phone number from the guy I bought from but on trying it, it does not exist. Tried all the solutions listed by Sony but no joy so called Sony customer support in the UK who will do nothing because I do not have the original receipt – very bad show!

Anyone know any fix for this blue light issue?

Is it the processor/solder problem like the YLOD/RLOD?

Many thanks Dan

It don't work

Most Helpful Answer

Yes !

I got an answer.

The power supply need to be replace.

but for now you can try this:

1 turn your ps4 upside down

2 push down on your ps4 on the center of your power suplly and turn the ps4 on.(keep pushing for a 30 sec there is no need to open the case)

3 if you see white light then place something heavy on top of the ps4 power supply center (see pic).keep it upside down at all time untill you replace it.

4 buy power supply&replace it.

5 tell us where did you manage to buy the power supply.(got the some prob)

Good luck

Bobby

Bought a used ps4 at pawnshop for $45. Tried the pressure to power supply trick and it worked. Still shuts off after 1-2 hrs but the press on the bottom fixs it again.

I followed bobby's procedure by pushing on the mid area under the console ,my console works for sometime but it then turns the display off and gets stuck on the white light,is still the power supply unit causing this?

Hey dude I bought a ps4 that wont turn on and I bought the Power Supply. You can get a used power supply that is still in good condition at Amazon.com for like $30-$40.

thank you sooooo much your the best

Thank for the information this worked great. Also, I might just replace the power supply.

I had exactly the same problem, it happened after shipped the ps4 and didn't package it very well. Then after 20-30 min of gaming PS4 was loosing conection with HDMI and the light was white. Then i search the web what is the problem, i follow bobby's advice, i turned PS4 upside down and i put something heavy on the power supply. PS4 worked with no problem for 5 hours, when i turned the PS4 to its normal position the problem appeared again. I thought it was power supply and i bought other power supply and problem was still there. If it is not the power supply why when i put something heavy PS4 works? what part of PS4 The heavy item pushes and make it work? I heared about reballing the APU but this does not make sense in my problem. If the APU needs reballing no heavy item could make the PS4 work. So i dissaseble it and i saw that under the power supply is a metal plate and under this the APU, so the heavy item pushes the metal plate to touch APU. Between this two parts (APU, metal plate) is the thermal paste and thermal pads. So i thought thermal paste detached from APU and lost its abillity to cool. Do not underestimate the abillities of thermal paste, i put new thermal paste and now PS4 works fine for two days, PS4 hasn't turned off yet.

My Ps4 has had this problem ever since I bought it over a year ago, I have sent it in for repairs 2 times already and am about to send it off again for the 3rd time and the same reason. The PS4 will just randomly turn off after maybe 30min to an hour. When I receive it back from Sony repairs it will work well for 2 weeks but then normally craps out. When I first had to send it in I was pretty !#^&@@ off with this issue but now I've gotten so used to it that I just want a console that works. For the amount of money these things cost you would expect an issue like this to be minimal but it is all too common. Hopefully this next time I get it back it will be fixed or maybe this time they will send a new system instead of refurbished. I hope all who have this issue get it resolved cause I know it's a pain in the ass.

@johnfl21 do let me know if thermal pasting the APU worked for you in the long run or not?. I have the exact same problem i planing to change the Powersupply but i think it's not the problem ,its the APU thermal paste which has ran off.

yes it worked for me, do it if your PS4 is out of warranty. Dissaseble it with no mistakes and replace thermal paste with high quality one. Check the thermal pads around to be in right position and reaseble the PS4. Please tell me is this is going to work for you. Thanks!!!

i forgot to tell you, after finish this i initialized the ps4

I had this problem but fixed it easily by changing the HDMI cable to a new one.

*UPDATED*

Reball is an unnecessary option for most consoles. If you follow the online guides and such (for dealing with HDMI issues) with no luck it is most likely a connection failure in a corner of the APU, a connection failure on the Network co-processor, or a bad power supply. I say this because when we removed the APU on our early test units (and the co-processors as of recently) we used for our research we found that the solder balls in the grid on a few corners of these chips were cleanly detached and oxidized. You can see this for yourself if you ever reball or remove the chips from the board in general.

With a sufficient amount of flux applied at 200 Degrees Celsius (which was very little flux by the by) to each corner and to the edges in between (a little flux really goes a long way) and reflow accomplished at around 225 to 230 celcius we managed to recover around 85% of these problematic units. Yes we waited to introduce the flux until the temp hit 200 because when introduced at that temperature most if not all of the flux evaporates very quickly leaving behind nice clean connections. This was able to be done with really low tech equipment. In the end we used a skillet tapped with a few mounts, a heatgun, a non contact thermometer, and a contact thermometer for control to reflow all of the boards that needed it.

The process of repair now involves changing the psu first, checking the fuses on the board second, if neither fixes the issue or fails the check we reflow the APU and the co-processor. The soak time at 225 is important! No more than just long enough to reflow the grid. Do not exceed 235!! We seem to have mixed results when the co processor is taken past 235 Celcius. May be crappy equipment. The amount of flux is JUST as important as the temperatures. Just enough to see a little run under the corner of the apu and same along the edges. We usually just place a drop from a needle at each point (Corner, Middle of edge, Corner). It is literally just 15 balls max disconnected at sometimes as many as all corners of the APU. Im assuming these are weak points where the flexing of the board and the inflexibility of the apu along with some manufacturer defect end up causing the issue. We have also noticed that in rare cases the APU itself is actually warped.

reflow does not work it needs to reballing is the way to go. There many site that offer this service

Im going to Xbox one

u need to reflow or reball apu

Memory possibly. I am still trying to source an X-ray imager as my unit has two different problems and this could help nail down one of them.

Its apu problem,I got mine from eBay with blood,took it to the local service and after reballing apu it works,but not without issues

In my experience most people that claim to 'reball' only reflow. Reballing is a very complex and skilled job if you are accomplished in its art I doubt your would spend time on gaming machines. I suggest everyone be suspicious and proceed with caution if anyone claims they will reball your consoles.

Had no joy with the DCMI trick.

I too believe this to be firmware based but unable to access safe-mode leave me pretty helpless. :(

I have a shut off randomly problem. I purchased a new power supply and it stills powers off after a few minutes. I recently learned about the faulty APU soldering and contacted PS4 support. Since I'm outside of the warranty window they will charge me $150. Not cool Sony. Did they know about the faulty APU soldering problem before they shipped the doomed system. If so that's wrong and illegal. I wonder if a lawsuit wood stand up in court. There are a ton of posts on YOUTUBE about this problem. Apparently it's more common than I thought.

There's no way Sony does not know about this problem. It's one of the most common problems with PS4's. Sometimes it's fixable and sometimes it's not. Either way Sony definitely won't fix it for you outside of the warranty. Even if it's under warranty they will just send you a new or refurb unit if you send it in.

The blue light can be a number of things; such as a power supply issue, HDD issue, and a general hardware issue. Take a look at all of those, as well as the BGA.

Remove the Power Supply. Right next to the heat sink is a plateau. There is a notch in the power supply to avoid it...on the side opposite the power supply's wires. Place 2 Irwin Utility Knife Blades on the plateau, so that the power supply will apply the pressure for you. Retighten the powersupply. Enjoy!!

Why does my PlayStation don't turn on blue light

I have the oportunity to buy a ps4 for 100 bucks, the thing is it is stuck in the blue light, it does not power off it only stays there with the blue light and does not give any image.

Can anyone shed a light about this issue?

The issues i see with a blue light are all blinking blue light and not a fixed light, i would like to know if there is any difference in it.

My ps4 screen unstable white dots and intermittent black screen appears all the time.

Can this be why some units don't recover after HDMI *AND* IC replacement?

I heard that maybe 40% of chips online are fake, some work in 720p only but most do not even run.

Fortunately unless you are a complete klutz or used plumbing solder this is repairable, I personally remove chips with Chipquik and extra Fluxite, though pricey it is very efficient.

(if you want to make your own the formula is available though not as good)

I did find that weighing fake versus genuine is an effective method for these and fake memory cards, the fake will be substantially lighter on a microscale from Ze Finest Greedbay but the cheap ones can be h@x0r3d with some effort.

Repeatable measurements to 0.01g and you can see airflow movements!

Will share my modification as soon as its complete, had it all apart again to add temperature feedback.

Even broken scales are repairable with the right parts from CPC, Farnell, RS, Micro, etc.

Dan will be eternally grateful.