Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

ice maker stopped making ice and water is slow

The water dispenser works, but water runs slow. Now the ice maker stopped making ice all together

Thank you for your help. We decided to change the water inlet valve which increased the water flow to the water dispenser but there was still no water going into the ice maker tray. So we decided to change the ice maker assembly. This did not produce any visible result. There is no clog in the fill tube and the temperature in the freezer is fine. Is the water supposed to go into the ice maker tray immediately after the ice maker assembly is replaced? Or is there a waiting period before we can see the water come in? Is there anythign else that we can check or replace?

Please help. Thank you so much for your repsonse.

Sounds like the switch.

What is the switch?

Freezer Temperature is Above 10 Degrees F (-12C)

If the ice maker is not working check the temperature of the freezer. If the freezer temperature is above 10 degrees F. (-12C) the ice maker will not work properly. It functions best when the freezer temperature is set between 0 and five degrees F. (-18 to -15C). If the freezer temp is too high make sure the condenser coil is clean and the condenser fan is working to cool the condenser and compressor. Check the evaporator coil for frost. If too much frost is built up the air can't circulate thru the coil and you will need to check the defrost components for a failure.

Water Inlet Valve

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working the water inlet valve might be defective. The water inlet valve is an electro-mechanical valve. The coil can show good for continuity and still not let the water thru.

Ice Maker Assembly

If the ice maker is not working it could be that the ice maker assembly itself is defective. The freezer temp should be between 0-5 degrees for the ice maker to cycle properly. There are several components in the control module of the ice maker that can fail and most are not sold separately. Also, ice makers have a relatively short lifespan and so it might not be worth fixing. If other, simpler parts like the water inlet valve or shut off arm have been ruled out, and the only thing left is the ice maker itself, replace it as a unit.

Other Causes and Conditions

Low Water Pressure from House Supply

If the ice maker is not working the water pressure in the house might be too low. The water inlet valve which supplies water to the ice maker is designed to work with a minimum of 20 psi of water pressure.

Door Switch

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working, the door switch might be defective. When the freezer door is opened the freezer door switch does two things, it turns on the light in the freezer and turns off the ice maker and dispenser. If the door switch fails the dispenser will not turn on. The switch can be checked for continuity with an Ohm meter. If it doesn’t have continuity it should be replaced.

Ice Level Control Board

If the ice maker is not working the ice level control board might be defective. This refrigerator is equipped with an infrared light beam to detect the level of ice in the ice bucket. As the level of ice reaches the top, the beam is interrupted and the ice maker shuts off. As ice is used up and the level of ice drops below the beam, the ice maker starts up again. If the ice level control board fails, the ice maker will stop making ice.

Water Filter

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working the water filter might be clogged. Try changing the water filter.

Icemaker Mold Thermostat

If the ice maker is not working the icemaker mold thermostat might be defective. Inside the control module of the ice maker is a thermostat which monitors the temperature of the ice mold (ice tray). Once the mold reaches the proper temperature the ice maker starts a harvest cycle by ejecting the ice cubes and refilling with water. If the mold thermostat is defective the ice maker doesn't advance. The thermostat can be checked for continuity. Replace it as needed.The freezer temp should be between 0-5 degrees for optimum performance.

Icemaker Switch

If the refrigerator ice maker is not working, check the icemaker switch. This switch frequently gets turned off by accident. If the switch is turned on but the ice maker still doesn't work, check the switch for continuity with an Ohm meter. Replace as needed.

It is interesting how no one will touch on the number one reason why Ice makers fail. As a technical advisor for a major corporation, I see 95% of Ice making failure is inadequate door suction(seal) issues. The temperatures become unstable with warm air seeping into fresh food door if not suctioning to front of frig. When temperature sensor senses the warmer air, the controller keeps the compressor running overtime to maintain the 37 degrees in the fresh food. This will cause the freezer temp to fall below zero, which will freezer the tip of the water tube that provides the Icemaker with water. It is a fact that anytime the freezer drops below zero, the defrost cycles can no longer maintain a thawed water tube for the IM. Please keep in mind that the controller's main priority is the fresh food, since a 3 degree increase will cause rapid food spoilage.

The door suction must be maintained. Most technicians as well as "so called experts" are totally unaware that the doors need to be self closing. The doors are big suction cups. A suction cup needs pressure to stick. The doors need their own weight to press them, through use of the earth's gravity. The leveling rollers or legs need to be adjusted to provide a tilt back of the frig to enable the earth's gravity to get ahold of these doors/drawers. Suction will happen while compressor is active, due to air flow; the compressor shuts down and all suction is lost. Just as your dart fell off the mirror when you shot your dart at the mirror as a kid, so does the frig doors from the front of frig. If you tilt the frig back, your doors will be heavy to the front of the frig cabinet and will suction. Temperatures will stabilize in frig and freezer. Within 24 hours, the defrost cycles will thaw the water tube and ice production will start.

Obviously there can be other variables that can contribute to bad suction, such as a damaged door gasket. One should always be looking for the obvious.

very interesting, this never occurred to me

If the filter needs change could that cause the ice maker to stop making ice?

Yes! Just happened to us. Replaced filter and icemaker works fine.

I am wondering if this is the same problem that I have. I have just changed the filter and waiting to see if this fixes it.

I couldn't afford filter at last interval so I reset filter life (like September of 2016). Ice maker worked as usual. Left for ten days between 12/22-1/1, there was enough ice. Noticed yester ice seemed a bit slushy, today ice box is empty. Replaced filter about 3 hours ago and flushed lines, it's still not making ice. Ideas?

I have a Maytag refrigerator . It is still working good. Just one thing happens that it does'nt making ice (The water not come in ice tray) . I tried to replace new inlet valve but it does'nt help. I don't know why? Anybody help me please! Thanks.

Bypass filters.Bypass filters. BYPASS FILTERS! ! You drink from the tap all the time, you make kool aid. The filter is just a replacement part for the consumer to keep spending money on. It causes more problems than it's worth.

I don't drink from Tap, you should see my filter when i take it out every 6 months, it is brown, filters do work, as far drinking water i buy the 40 pack of deer park bottled water, Tap water is no good no matter where you live, it may look clear and taste good but trust me you don't see all the micro stuff that filters catch, I wish I could attach a side by side picture I took of a brand new filter, and the one I replace every 6 months, HUUUUGGGGEEE difference,

Mine is very slow to make ice... 32 cubes in past 18 hours! (it dumped about 5 PM yesterday and now it is 11:30 AM with 32 cubes in the bin)

It was put into service April 2016 and never been a great ice maker. It sounds like the water supply is fine, when it dumps there is the sound of a noticeable flow of water. I've noticed a sort of "popping noise", very much like something is slipping over cogs, a few minutes before it dumps the load of cubes.

The thermostat is set at the lowest (coldest) setting and the door seals are fine.

Any ideas or is it just slow?

victorialeo will be eternally grateful.