Repair and disassembly guides for food cooling appliances including refrigerators, freezers and fridge-freezers.

Why is my refrigerator not cooling?

We have an LG Fridge that's been with us for about 6 years. It's one of those 3 door fridges with the water dispenser on it. Our freezer compartment broke, and we have not used it since. The refrigerator itself was working about 2 weeks ago. Then we noticed that the fridge is slightly warm—like almost room temperature warm. What can I do to make our fridge cold again? I don't want to spend $100 + for the repairman to come and fix it. Is there a DIY guide that I can do?

our repairman said that somehow sulpher has destroyed the copper tubing. Refrig is less than 2 years old. Had this same thing happen to previous one. Would like to know how this happens?

should mention that we live in dry Arizona ... repairman said they usually only see this in humid climates.

Don't think it's anything to do with cooper tubing sounds like repairman has pull the wool over your eyes. If the copper tubbing had being destroyed then all the refrigerant would have escape and you would have no cooling whatsoever. Had similar problem we nearly throw the dam thing away only got it fixed lg gave me the contact details of agsrefrigeration.co.uk the freezer section had frosted over so little cold air was getting into the refrigerator also the baffle had iced up. Parts were replaced everything working has it should.

In response to Kathy Gibbard. I can tell you what the repairman meant and no he wasn't trying to pull a fast one. Likely your tubes are black from the sulphur. You might ask where the sulphur comes from. You sound like your house has Chinese Drywall just as mine did. This problem occurred from builders using cheap materials from China starting roughly around 2005-2006 and beyond. It eats copper and aluminum like I can't tell you. Aluminum doesn't show the damage as it does with copper. I know that places where there were building booms like SW Florida and Arizona experienced many Chinese Drywall issues. Hire a State certified building inspector and tell them of your suspicions and have the document their finding and you can photo what they find. The cost for me was $125.00 for the building inspector and I ended up using a saddle tap/Schrader valve and recharging my refrigerator with R134a with Stop Leak from my local auto parts store. The fridge lasted another 1.5 years. Good luck to you! You are going to need it!

i have same symptom w/ our LG fridge as described but my repairman said its because we have a refrigerant leak in the sealed system. our home owners warranty doesnt cover leaks (i hear this is a $800 repair). per the manual , the 7-yr manufacturer warranty say's it only applies if we're the original purchaser of fridge and we're not, bought home w/ all appliances this yr. any suggestion?

Condenser Coils are Dirty

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the condenser coils may be dirty. The condenser is like a radiator and must stay clean in order to dissipate the heat which was removed from the inside of the refrigerator. As the coils get dirtier the refrigerator becomes less efficient, which makes it work harder to cool down. If the coils are dirty enough, the unit will never be cold enough and will not be able to cool the inside of the refrigerator to the proper temperature.

Evaporator Fan Motor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the evaporator fan motor might have failed. Every refrigerator has a set of coils called and evaporator. The refrigerator may have one or more evaporator fan motor(s) depending on the model and evaporator locations. The evaporator fan motor circulates the cold air from the coils thru the compartment. If there is only one evaporator it is in the freezer side. If the fan is not working, no cold air will get to the refrigerator compartment. The freezer may still get cold.

Condenser Fan Motor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough there might be something caught in the condenser fan motor blade, or the condenser fan motor might be defective. The condenser fan motor draws air over the condenser coils to cool them. The condenser fan motor is located underneath the refrigerator near the back. Pull the refrigerator out from the wall and remove the access panel to access it.

Start Relay

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the start relay may be defective. The start relay is a small device mounted to the side of the compressor. It provides power to the run winding along with the start winding for a split second at start-up to help get the compressor started. If the start relay is defective the compressor may run intermittently or not at all and the refrigerator will not get cold enough. The start relay should be replaced if defective.

Temperature Control Thermostat

If the refrigerator does not get cold enough the temperature control thermostat might be defective. The thermostat allows power to flow through to the compressor, evaporator fan and condenser fan. If the cooling system fans and compressor are running, but the refrigerator or freezer is not cooling correctly check for an airflow or defrost system problem.

Start Capacitor

If the refrigerator isn't cold enough the compressor might be having difficulty starting. The start capacitor serves as a battery to give the compressor a little boost during start-up. If the start capacitor is burned out the compressor might not be able to start and run as often as it should. Test the start capacitor first with a capacitance meter, they don't fail often. If it's defective, replace it.

Thermistor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the thermistor might be defective. The thermistor is a sensor which monitors the air temperature. It is connected to the control board. If the thermistor is defective the refrigerator does not cool or may cool continuously.

Temperature Control Board

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the temperature control board might be defective. The temperature control board provides the voltage to the fan motors and compressor. These boards are often misdiagnosed. Check all other components to be certain this is the cause of the problem.

Compressor

If the refrigerator is not cold enough, the compressor might be defective. The compressor is a motor which compresses the refrigerant and circulates the refrigerant through the evaporator and condenser coils. There are several other components which are more likely to be defective if the compressor doesn't work. If the compressor itself is defective a licensed professional will need to replace it.

Main Control Board

If the refrigerator is not cold enough the main control board might be defective. This is not common. Check the defrost system, cooling fans, and cooling controls first.

UPDATE 3/3/16

asking additional question on one with an accepted answer is almost a sure way for it not to be seen. If the answer that's accepted does not answer your problem, ask a new question with your specific problem and symptoms.

If Kompressor runs, Evap fan should be running. Assuming, all fans run smoothly, Kompressor running, but fridge NOT cooling, it is most likely that you have a sealed system issue(s). Possibly, a refrigerant leak. The Kompressor will seem to run endlessly attempting to cool. Test for a leak by using soap spray on cooling coils while Kompressor is running.You may see bubbles where the leak is. Suspicious areas include oily sections on coil or copper tubing, rusty/green areas, or joints/bends. You may also use an electronic leak finder available online. You will need a refill refrigerant and vacuum with Guages,etc. to repair the leak. Only licensed HVAC personnel can buy refrigerants by law. See if you can work out a deal with your local HVAC shop. Tell them all that you have checked including Ohms and voltage tests for all the components responsible for cooling. If you can take the fridge to them it might save you a service call fee. Anyway, start with ALL simple things as enumerated in the article above.

My temp won't set. I have held it down and waited. The power seems to shut off as soon as the doors are closed. Freezer on the bottom, freezer on top. Gen Electric. Frustrated.

The compressor tank is hot..is that normal situation. .other fan working..No cooling

We will never buy LG again. Our 4 year old French door fridge stopped cooling in May 2016. A repair guy came out & was immediately concerned about the enormity of the repair but he worked on it & the fridge cooled again for a week before it quit cooling. The same repair guy came back and said we needed new parts. He ordered the parts and it took over a month to get them. After he replaced the parts the fridge worked for two days. He said at that point we needed a new condenser. That was July 27, 2016 and now it's September 30 and we are still waiting for the condenser which is on back order. LG has given us no support other than lipservice. They make a spit and polish product but don't back it up.

I'm having literally the same issue now. LG Repair man has been out 4 times and frige still is as it was before any repairs.

Gary Yund your right. The sealed system is not typical. LG has 2 evaporators on most French door models. This required more components to be added to the system. With more components there are more things to go wrong. These LGs are very temperamental. Air flow inside and outside is critical. Too much food, a pizza box positioned wrong, opening the freezer drawer wrong can all cause a not cooling situation. By the time you realize it's not cooling 1 or more parts have been damaged. Plus, many parts have been revised and must be replaced even if it's not one of the failed parts. This makes it difficult to diagnose. Most checks are done at the PCB. If the PCB has been revised, the checks might be different with the new PCB making the first diagnosis wrong. A lot of senseless issues with these. I wish the manufacturers would quit trying to try reinvent the wheel.

My repairman isnt going to be too happy. he has had this piece of crap LG french door dual evap nightmare for over a month now. Tried a new evaperator, worked for 2 days then quit again. Tried a new circuit board no good. Compressor good. Lines all good and holding freon. Evap fans good. Will not cool or freeze. $2200 Bucks down the drain. And get this...it's SIX years old, just like all the others on here....makes you wonder, doesn't it?

My Bro in law in another state told me an LG rep told him they are making them to last...six years. That's the life of one. So we're phlocked.

Repairmans at a loss. He sold me a 1979 USA Made Hotpoint no frost for $100 to use while this is getting fixed, it wont win any beauty contests but it works perfectly...38 YEARS OLD!!!

I'm going to buy a Whirlpool bottom freezer (NO french doors) from him. ONE evaperator, NO filter,

and MADE IN USA. No more Korean $hit for US! If you buy Kenmore MAKE SURE you find out who made it! If it's LG or Samsung...RUN,,,dont walk...AWAY. They're Junk and will cost you big bucks sooner than later

GUY; It's probably the evaperator. These LGs are lasting 5-6 years then you're looking at

replacing BOTH evaperator and compressor as they work in unison. In hindsight the best thing to do with

something like this is to junk it and get another one. believe it or not, you're money ahead doing it that way.

LG must have invented the phrase "Throwing Good Money After Bad" because thats EXACTLY what all of us are doing here.

great. we bought lg model lfx25976st at lowes in 09/13 this weekend first time issue. fan is running..compressor is humming but everything is room temp. havent had it looked at yet as this has caught us with no savings to have it looked at. i have pulled it out...opened up the bottom..vacuumed the fan area which was very dusty...hoped that would do the trick but nope... not cooling anything.i thought we bought quality when we forked out about 2 grand for a big fridge. sure looks great..guess i bought window dressing. we will update if we can ever afford for someone to come out to look at it.

Pointgatherer, you have a 1 yr manufacturers warranty that covers parts, labor and service call. You also have 5 yrs, parts only on the sealed system. Call Lowes asap and schedule service.

Dirty coils can cause the compressor to overheat and, eventually the condensor coils will get too hot causing little pin hole leaks.

The main PCB should be on the back of unit above the compressor. There are 3 Phillip screws holding the access panel on. If you can remove that panel carefully while it's still plugged in, look at the PCB for a green light flashing. If so, how many times does it blink before it pauses?

dealing with the same issue with LG fridge not cooling after 4 years. one repairman said it was a block, another said it was the compressor and the third repairman said the compressor works fine, it's probably a leak in the sealed system or i need freon.....Never again with LG...I ultimately got my money back but want to fix this fridge as a back up...any other ideas.....was thinking of getting some freon in and see how long it lasts..

Our fridge seemed to get worse every time a tech touched it. In the end after battling for 4 months, we got everything minus the 100 service fee from lg and bought a samsung door in door at costco and got rid of the lg. Be careful recharging lg fridges. Apparently their bias is different than most manufacturers and you can cripple what remaining life you have on your compressor.

We have the exact same issue with our LG/Kenmor French Door fridge. How did you manage to get your money back? From LG or from the retailer?

I bought an LG 30 cubic feet (model LMXS30776S) in late 9/ 2014, it had stop cooling or cold in the fridge around 6/2016. I called LG which referred me to an LG technician. He troubleshoot it and said "it is the compressor failed" .... The compressor is still under warranty but NOT the labor. After 8 weeks of waiting, the compressor came, the Tech replaced it for $450 .... It has been running since then, but now 8/2017, it is not cooling or cold again .... I can hear the compressor running but look like something else to make the refrigerator not cooling or cold.... Reading around the internet, people said LG is NOT making good fridge at all. It just like HYUNDAI car, a lot of problem ...

Guy inSJ, The LGs use a linear compress. They use little freon. The data plate inside the fresh food section will tell you how much. Usually 4.2oz-5.2 oz. over charging is not good, neither is under charging. This problem could be something other than the compressor. Might be the main board.

Thanks Loretta .... I just called an outside Tech this afternoon, he suggested it is the Main board ... It is not under warranty so the cost is ~ $220 from Sears or other places + $80 to put it in ... but he is not guarantee until he does the troubleshooting which he said he can fix but for another $500 - 600 .... It is out of my option for this trouble fridge. I am thinking to buy a GE or a Whirlpool to replace this one so no more headache ... If someone want this still look new LG Fridge, I will give it free (please, pick-up by yourself) ... I am living in San Jose, California ... Please, drop me an email at NhienHLe@aol.com

jojoalvarez2002 will be eternally grateful.