The Microsoft Surface is the first tablet released by Microsoft. It runs Windows RT, which is designed specifically for tablet functionality. Repairs for this device require screwdrivers and prying tools.

Is it possible to upgrade the surface processor?

Hi I was looking at the specs of the Microsoft surface rt and the surface pro and the only really noticeable differences are the Operating System (8.1 rt vs 8.1 pro) and the processor (Nvidia Tegra 3 quad core vs intel i5 dual core). Is it possible to put a intel i5 processor into the surface rt allowing it to then download applications off the internet?

From the IFIXIT teardown: Surface logic bd we can see all of the chips are soldered so the answer is no.

Well, you would need to remove the old processor which means taking apart you RT and buying a new Intel processor that will fit.

But, it might not work, in the process you could break your computer. So get an expert to help, or someone who is good at taking apart and putting back together pc's.

Hope this helps. I'm testing it out myself.

So, this will work if you have the time and steadiness of hands. I have a Surface RT and I upgraded the processor to an intel i7 but I had to very carefully remove the NVIDIA tegra and solder the i7 in contact by contact. It was totally worth it in the end, but it is very experimental, so I wouldn't recommend it for the daily noob, regards, EJS

Michael Lozinski will be eternally grateful.