0

Leigh
21

What enclosure do I use to replace optical drive with hybrid drive?

I want to replace my optical drive but I'm getting confused about what I need because my macbook pro is a not a unibody. Its a Santa Rosa and I want to replace the optical drive with a 1 TB SSD Hybrid Sata 6 gb 2.5 inch hard drive. Do I need an enclosure? Is it different or the same as the unibody one? IS my computer to old for this?

Edited by: Leigh ( ) , machead3 ( )

1

machead3

You may not be able to do that, When this Mac was designed and built there were no 1TB laptop drives, no SATA iii drives at all and only a few SATA II drives(many of todays off the shelf SATA drives are SATA II and III) it has a main HD connector speed of type SATA I (1.5GB).

To avoid return/restock fees I would only purchase a drive with optibay caddy included from a vendor that guaranteed it will work. iFixit has a kit that will support a 1TB standard drive... I know of no one that makes an optibay kit that will put any size SSD in this age machine.

If you are successful please comeback and update your Question and share the solution.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

Edited by: machead3 ( )

But MCE Technologies seems to sell an Optibay for Non-unibody Macbook Pros from waaaaay back in 2008 or even 2007. There website seems to think it will work, as does crucial.com. I ran crucial.com's scanner app, and it came up with my computer and a several ssd compatible devices. Are these places trying to scam people? I guess I'm still wondering about this. Anybody else know anything about this?

Leigh,

Not at all - however you should be in contact/discussion with the vendors, and, I would not buy from them unless they guarantee no restock/return dees if their equipment doesn't perform as advertised.

machead3,