Known as the PS2, it is a sixth-generation video game console first released by Sony in Japan in March 2000. The United States saw it later in 2000 with the SCPH-30000. Repair of this device requires only common tools, but can get tricky.

The memory card slot 1 does not work

My Playstation 2 memory card slot 1 does not work properly. I have inserted many different memory cards to see if it was that, however, each of them is not recognised by any of my games. I have looked everywhere to see if anyone could repair it for me and no one seems interested.

New Battery = Faster iPhone
Fix Kits starting at $16.99

Most Helpful Answer

I can put the memory card in slot 1 and it will not work

My memory card will not work in the slot 1

It could be simply that something has got inside the slot and is preventing the card from seating properly. Shine a torch in the slot and see if you can see anything obstructing it.

If not then its likely either dirt on the contacts or the cable inside has come loose, in which case it would have to be pulled apart.

One clue might be how it failed, did it stop suddenly following a knock or drop or did it slowly become less and less reliable.

Does slot 2 work though?

If it's both slots and if both controller ports aren't working, then it's probably the ribbon cable.

If one slot is only working [and likewise, if one or both controller ports are working], then it might be the contact pins not seating properly.

Hey guys i have a simular issue.

cad slots were not working on my old PS2 i had - never did actually, so i got a new card, didn't work.

i've literally just got another ps2 and i'm having the same issue - no memory showing.

so i've tried different memory cards and different PS2 but it's not working. i really want to play my old games again but i can't if i can't save my work.

does anyone have any other ideas? cheers

I had the same problem ps2 wasn't reading the card in slot 1 but on slot 2 it was working but some game doesn't read slot 2 so I couldn't play then I make sure that slot 1 was clean. I kinda blow on it and and tired and it worked.

Try to Clean the pins with metal polish, noobs use isopropyl alcohol while it works sometimes you gotta keep in mind these are metal contacts (gold most of the time) the combination of metal polish and grain or Ethel Alcohol are the best way to clean the pins. Similar logic applies to cleaning pins on Nintendo, Super Nintendo, Nintendo 64 and Sega Genesis Cartridges

@captainsnowball @alexniculescu this is at best off-topic but not spam or offensive. By marking it as spam or offensive you punish the poster with - reputation points. please be aware of the difference between spam, offensive and off-topic or duplicate. Wrong moderation can become offensive

It's surely not off topic the poster said his memory card wasn't working and I suggested he clean the pins with metal polish that may fix it. I've done this so I know from EXPERIENCE......so where is the off topic part....... enlighten me.....I wanna be in the loop as well especially if anyone has anything to say to or about me

@oldturkey03 "Try to Clean the pins with metal polish noobs use isopropyl alcohol" POLISH NOOBS USE... is why I marked it so

My fault for not adding a comma I got no beef or issues with polish people. Furthermore Old turkey 03 isn't my mediator nor does he speak for me so I would believe if you had an issue with me or anything that I type (or type incorrectly) address ME.....you know the person WHO actually typed it. In this cyber space era we live in you got internet trolls, keyboard warriors, cyber bullies and cyber cowards..... DON'T BE A CYBER COWARD...... it's the worse of the three besides grammar nazi's. Respect is LIFE where I'm from and you don't get it by talking about people TO OTHER people especially if they are on the same %#*@ thread. Keep this in mind next time you have an issue about post or anything in general

I have a playstation 2 and for some reason when I load the game using the memory I cannot retrieve the saved data. I have a problem with slot 1 so I try to load on slot 2 but the message comes up no memory card in slot 1. All my sons saved games are on the memory card which we can'talk load. Do you have any ideas?

I had this problem too, for years I just never played games that saved in slot 1. Well, I was getting ready to buy a replacement; being tired of this work around, I tried propping the hatch open and blowing really hard into it (minimizing any saliva additions). Now it works again.

I recommend using an air can, but check to see if it's not working due to dust on the contacts.

Derp will be eternally grateful.