Complete how to and replacement guides for the original iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPhone 4s, iPhone 5, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5s, iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 6s, iPhone 6s Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus.

Can IR-blocking filter be removed?

Has anyone had success with removal of IR-blocking filter from iPhone 4S or 5 / 5S? I want to use the camera for imagery in the near-IR for high-contrast vegetation photography.

Most Helpful Answer

Sorry, no the camera unit is sealed and can't be disassembled.

I have taken the iPhone 5 camera apart and removed the IR filter (I purchased two additional cameras as you can pick them up super cheap $2). I put it back together again and have it working, although each time I have done it, I have managed to scratch or get dust on the sensor which causes the camera to auto focus on the dust / scratch rather than the rest of the image. I was very careful and even used compressed air to get rid of any dust that may have landed on the sensor, but still didn't get the result I was looking for.

The size of the sensor is so small it doesn't take much dust to interfere. If you had a DSLR sensor to work with it's a lot easier as the pitch of the cells is much larger.

You can remove IR blocking filter like this picture: http://www.eigenimaging.com/Galaxy-Nexus...

Not really, sorry. This image doesn't give you the whole story here.

arvesen will be eternally grateful.