1

bailux
13

How fix error 99

How can i fix error 99?

thanks

May be a bit late but I have just bought a 300d spares or repair so I could fix my own one.The one I bought for spares was doing the err 99 thing.I could hear that the shutter was not opening so took the lens off and took a look inside to discover that the soft shutter material was kinked in one corner.I then carefully using a cotton bud (Q-TIP) gave it a bit of a nudge in the corner and to my pleasure it slotted back in camera fixed.. Hope that has helped somebody.

steve,

My eos 300d, that I bought to fix, would go in to rapid fire mode until I took the battery off. I ended up opening the camera and removing the shutter curtains (I think they were jamming or failed in some form) now the camera works fine and takes a picture. The lack of shutter curtains doesn't bother me much as I only use the camera for long exposure astrophotography. Not bad for £20.

challenger3000,

Thanks to the comments posted here, I found a dog hair from our bassett had managed to jam the shutter. Removed the dog hair, put the bassett down, problem solved!!!!

Paul Henderson,

4

markus weiher
31k

The err99 could come from a lens incompatibility, a battery problem, a shutter problem or just "dirty" contacts on the body/lens contacts

does the problem always occur ?

i reccomend reading this

5

Jack
61

Well if it's a sigma lens, it might be one that is incompatible with newer canon bodies (DSLRs) if this is the case and you're handy, you might want to try this hack:

http://www.martinmelchior.be/2013/04/con...

It involves adding an additional microcontroller inside your lens. Tricky but not Impossible (I just did it myself).

Cheers,

Jack

1

Gabe
7k

An Error99 could be anything, absolutely anything could have gone wrong with it.

Does it always show Error 99? or does it only show Error 99 every now and then? Is it when you do something specific?

Try switching your CF card, battery, and lens and see if that helps

Any EF or EF-S lens should do and any CF card should work

Batteries on the other hand should be genuine Canon battery or a reputable generic brand.

If this does not work, contact Canon and they will tell you the closest repair facility you can send it to to have it checked out.

Edited by: Gabe ( )

1

Gerry
13

An error 99 is not anything, but is an undefined error that's not described by one of the documented error codes. That's been standard for decades. I always start with the quick-and-easy stuff. A soft pencil eraser to clean contacts on lens and body, and the battery. Visual check of memory card and compressed air to clean contacts of dirt.

Similarly, my flash gave an error, and compressed air cleaned the sensor arm in the tiny hole below it, and all was well. Use low pressure and be careful. Use extra light for a good visual inspection.

Have been having an issue with the built in flash in my 450d, popping up but not firing and giving a err99. Put into manual mode, switched on the flash and blew gently around and into it to clean. Now working. Fingers crossed stays working!

richardm,

1

Evelyn
13

First time getting Error 99 message.

After going to the local repair place, who told me it would be $300 to replace the circuit board, I discovered that I can take unfocused pictures with no error with no lens on. Does that mean it is a lens problem instead? (I don't have another lens to try on the camera, unfortunately.)

1

Mark Swain
13

WITH MY ERROR 99, when I try to take a photgraph, the camera goes into rapid fire mode and will not stop until I remove the battery. really weird.

Hi, did you ever find I fix for this? I'm having a similar problem with my 300d

challenger3000,

1

Ron
13

thank you, put new card in and it worked

1

keymaster
13

On my case, it's its a stucked-up aperture.

i have a Canon 350D rarely used. Out of storage one day error 99 showed up. After trial and error (changed CF card, cleaned contacts for Clock battery), i changed lens and found that my stock lens was causing the error. I then proceeded to manual settings and set my aperture to bigger value, took a picture and VOILA! the error was gone. It seems the long storage made the aperture contacts a bit stiff :-)

how did you clean the contacts for clock battery? also how do you change the aperture?

patricia,

0

tanya
1

i also have this error 99, on my canon 300d and have tried all the above, fully charging battery, cleaning lens....then then shutter still got stuck, im at a loss, and cant afford to replace or send away for repair, is there any thing else i can try ? i hate being with out my camera

ok, so how is it fixed, do i need to find a camera repair shop ? if so any idea how much it may be to fix

tanya,

0

epohl
37

Error 99 is a generic call for help. 95% of the time it is a failure in the shutter. It can also be a lens problem or flash problem.

0

Andrew
1

Error 99 showed on my EOS350d when the body could not set the desired aperture in the lens.

This occurred on my old Sigma70-300 (1999) on anything except wide open and was due to the lens being old and 'not compatible' with the newer body. I was able to take the lens to the Sigma repair agent and have it re-chipped to compatible firmware. The lens worked perfectly since including on my new 550d.

0

Corbeaux Thome
1

Error 99 showed up on my 350D when the aperture of the kit lens got stuck fully open. The camera could no longer adjust the aperture so trying to set it to anything other than f3.5 resulted in this error. Since this was the kit lens, my solution was to buy a replacement lens.

0

lucky
1

For me cleaning the body contacts (firmly) worked well.

I also tookout the little memory battery(next to the main battery/or battery grip insert) and placed it back.

But i think cleaning was the solving of the error 99 problem.

0

Neb
1

error 99 common problem on camera REBEL XS

problem is on main board, replacing main board will fix problem

other problem on main board is : did not read memory,stuck in one langue - can't change langue . Good luck Neb

0

lisa
1

I just got an error code 99 on my camera and when I took it into the camera shop in town it was my shutter that was flexing. I have to send it off for repairs. I have no idea how much it is going to cost.

0

Mon Payapag
1

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Remove the lens, battery, and CF card.

3. Allow the camera to sit without power for approximately 20 minutes.

4. Insert a fully charged battery, and turn on the camera.

5. Depress the shutter button as you would to take a picture.

Does the “ERR 99′ message appear? If it does, then the camera should be

serviced. If it does not, then please proceed to the next set of steps:

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Insert the CF card.

3. Turn on the camera.

4. Format the CF card in the camera.

Does the “ERR 99′ message appear? If so, then the CF card is the most

likely source of the issue. Try using a different card.

If the message does not appear, please complete the following steps:

1. Turn off the camera.

2. Clean the lens contacts by gently rubbing them with a pencil eraser

or soft cloth. Be careful that you do not let any debris fall into the

camera body.

3. Reattach your lens.

4. Turn on the camera.

If the “ERR 99′ message only appears when one particular lens is

attached, then that lens should be examined by a service technician.

If you see the “ERR 99′ with a different Canon lens attached, then the

camera should be serviced.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t182551-err...

0

Darren J Callesen
1

If err99 appears during damp conditions, remove lens blow on contacts on both body and lens, and problem should be solved. to avoid this keep camera in a sealed plastic bag for aprox 10 minutes when leaving a heated room / car into cold conditions, this lets the camera acclimatise to the conditions and usually avoids the problem. Have a great day.

0

Alby
1

After a few months non-use my EOS 300D started showing error 99 when I pressed the shutter release. Changing battery and CF card had no effect.

More by luck than judgement I went into the tools menu and set "File numbering" to Auto reset, then removed and refit both battery and CF card. This seems to have cleared the fault.

As "File numbering" had originally been set to Continuous I can only assume that I had used up the allocation of file or folder numbers after about 9 years of use. Why the camera never showed the correct error code I have no idea.

0

imcrayze
1

My problem started shortly after I put in a new battery. It was not a Canon battery. It was one from Batteries Plus. After much frustration I bought a Canon battery and all is well! So much for that quick cheap fix!!!!

0

na fun
1

The rubber did it for me!

0

whittsmithphoto
1

My 20D Canon showed the error 99 today and it seems to be pointing toward the EFS 17-85mm lens and the focusing mechanism. I just started messing with it , and now I am able to get it to work without the error 99 when I have the lens zoomed out further than 25 mm, but that is all I know now. See if you have the same problem with a different lens. Hope that narrows what your problem may be.

Edited by: whittsmithphoto ( )

i have the same problem with my 18-55mm lens, it is a broken ribbon cable inside the lens housing, haven't looked into replacing it yet, works from 25mm out just like yours.

Randall Wells,

0

Amber
1

My flash must be the problem. I put the manual flash from my old 35mm Canon onto the digital camera and now that the flash cannot pop up, I am not getting the error 99. However, the manual flash doesn't work for some reason, but at least I can take pictures in the daytime with the digital.

0

loz
1

22nd April 2014. I have the dreaded error 99, cleaned the connections, cleared all functions, manually cleaned and automatically dust cleaned. Changed cards batteries and without a lens on at all, still error 99 checked the manual and nothing about this mysterious error 99.

The only thing I found was: no firmware on the CF card. What does that mean? I have two cards and this is the 1gb that came with the camera. Put the old 4gb card back I think. How do you get firmware onto a CF Card?

0

David Anthony
1

Err 99 on Rebel XS . I get this if I turn of a working XS and then back on . Removing battery and holding Shutter Button down with power switch on clears it until I again turn off . I fixed this by updating the firmware to 1.0.7 available from Canon Japan . USA does not have this update .

http://web.canon.jp/imaging/eosd/firm-e/...

0

Till Westermayer
1

Got this error 99 on my EOS 300D [sometimes not able to take a picture, sometimes "rapid fire mode", ...], bought a new (used) EOS 40D body, here it was Err 1 - "clean contacts" (with the same objective, a kit EFS 18-55).

Because contacts seemed to be clean, after some further trial and error I narrowed it down: error happens only when the lens is set between 18 and 35, and between 35 and 55 everything works fine.

I guess something mechanical in the kit EFS objective is gone wrong over the nine years of continous use, didn't try it with another objective, because I don't have one to hand. Repearable? Or should I just buy a replacement objective?

0

epohl
37

Till,

The you have a tear in the flexable circuit board that connects the aperture assembly to the lenses Main PCB. You can replace the aperture unit, but the cost of the part will be high.

0

Art Hasku
1

What If It Works With One Lens And with the 2 others dont work? And with the 2 lens that dont work it only works on dark places and not on light like in the park where there is light

Help!!

0

whittsmithphoto
1

With a 30 D and a 20 D, it turned out to be the lens in my case. It was not able to communicate with the camera. For this, you will need two lens's and a camera body or two camera bodies and one lens to do a process of elimination. Take the camera and lens that is getting an error 99. Put the other lens, in place of the lens in question, on the camera body. If it works then it should be in the lens that you are having problems with. Try the same thing using an additional camera body if you don't have a second lens. This should help you to narrow the issue to either the lens or to the camera.