0

Sebastian
1

SSD in optical drive doesn't show

I replaced my Superdrive with a HDcaddy and an OCZ Vector 256GB. But the Macbook couldn't find it in Disk Utility.

Then I tried to put the Superdrive back, it started spinning but then stopped. (didn't load any CD/DVD and couldn't eject either)

After I exchanged the SSD with the normal HDD.

But couldn't boot because it had no Mac OSX installed

Both the Superdrive and SSD work in the external hub.

But i can't get the SSD (or HDD) to work in the Superdrive

1

machead3

You may have damaged the connector - examine it carefully with a magnifying glass. You might be able to straighten a bent pin - or - verify this is the cause of your problem. Not every project is DIY - soldering on logic boards takes special tools, solder and lots & lots of practice.

Should you spot logic board damage you might want to go to a professional for help/repair.

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

I didn't see anything odd about the connector one pin was a tiny bit shorter, but it looks the same on the external hub for the superdrive.

Sebastian,

I'm not ware of any fuze or other protection to that circuit (if the optibay somehow overloaded it).... maybe someone else can offer a solution. Since the drives work in an external they seem to be ok which leaves, connectors, cables and drive speeds (the external case might automagically adjust them better than the caddy).

machead3,