clairevoisard, here is my answer to a very similar problem :"please remember that rice is only a first aid. It will not prevent corrosion nor fix shorted SMD components. At this time my advice to you would be to no longer try to start or charge your iPhone. Remove the battery, and disassemble is right down to the logic board. clean everything with isopropyl alcohol (90%+) and a soft brush, including all connectors and cable ends. Check for any burned or missing components. You may have to repeat this step a couple of times. Once it is cleaned, reassemble it and replace the battery, then reevaluate for any real damage. Right now, everything will only be a guess, and the longer you wait the more corroded it will get. Hope this helps, good luck."