Aimed at business users, the Tecra M3 is a notebook computer manufactured by Toshiba in 2005.

No Power to Computer

My Toshiba Notebook Computer is not working anymore. I thought it might be the AC adapter so I purchased a new one. With the old one there was no power at all, no lights when it was plugged in.

With the new one I have two lights showing, power and battery, both green. The battery light was yellow when I first plugged it in, but after an hour or so it turned green.

But when I hit the power button nothing happens, the computer does not fire up. Screen is black, and there does not seem to be any activity in the computer.

I suspect one of my kids spilled something on the notebook or the battery is no good.

Any ideas?

Your battery is probably good as the charger lights changed from yellow to green showing it's charged. Try booting from your system installation disk.

Dead mainboard

If you have this problem always check the charger with a multimeter, kids tend to leave laptops on bedding quilts switched on and it overheats blowing the circuits on the mainboard. I come across this quite often.

If the multimeter shows a reading on the pins that connect to the battery then you know you have current flowing through the board and making it to charge the battery. I check this to rule out fried board quickly. Also, an easy quick check is to look in all the USB ports and make sure none of them are damaged. if two pins in any of the USB ports are bent up and touching each other the computer will short and not start. Simply bending them so they no longer touch would resolve such an issue.

Good luck!

Jim Whiting will be eternally grateful.