Second generation of Wi-Fi iPad, released on March 11, 2011. Model number A1395. Repair is difficult and will require heat.

Anyone have better options for Digitizer adhesive?

The normal 3M tape that is sold everywhere doesn't seem to be a long term fix as the digitizer starts to lift after a couple of months (in multiple spots; not just near the digi cable).

There is a black adhesive tape that seems to work a little better that is sold in a few spots but I was wondering if anyone has had better luck with anything else.

I heard that Apple uses some kind of Thermal tape on the original process. Is there any truth or proof to this rumor?

Most Helpful Answer

Repair professionals and basement "hacks" can be differentiated by the quality of adhesives they use.

You want to use what is called VHB tape (very high bond)

3M sells VHB tapes that are approximately 10 lbs/inch which are very adequate ... but if you want the piece of mind that your repair is not going to lift or separate until the next time you are repairing their cracked screen, you want to find RED TAPE brand VHB tape, which has a bond rate of 16 lbs/inch.

Just as important as the quality of tape you are using, is that the frame of the iPad/iPhone is properly prepped with 91% (or better) Isopropyl alcohol and a microfiber cloth, to remove 100% of the old adhesive residue.

'''**If you are only removing 88% of the adhesive residue, you are wasting your time, you need to remove 100% of the old residue.

'''

And lastly, to get the "factory" seal on your iPad repair, you need to apply a very slight pressure to the digitizer for 4-6 hours, to make sure that the adhesive remains in contact with the frame of the iPad while it is drying/curing. You can buy iPad presses made for this purpose, or at very least place your iPad face down on a towel, and put a 3" thick textbook/phonebook on it. Too much pressure will crack your new glass.

If you follow these simple steps, you will end up with a professional quality repair.

Hi iBroke

Can you please provide the tape numbers you are referring to with regard to the 16 lbs/inch red tape? The 3M site sorts the tapes by number and I am not sure which one you are advising is the best adhesive for iPads.

UPDATE: I have been using a custom adhesive solution from Bowler Tech And they have been working fantastically. We have been using them for about 3 months now and they are by far the best we have seen. If you can, get the Digitizers without any adhesive and use the Bowler Tech adhesive. Thats been working best for us. They cost a little more but they are worth it.

Looking for something better too. I have been using the 3M clear ones for a while with mixed results, it helps to clean the old adhesive off, but even then it can be hit and miss. I have ordered some of the black pre cut ones today for the iPad 3, will see how they fare.

The black seems to be the strongest I have found. I currently have about 6 different adhesives here. I have heard rumors of people using Thermal Tape but I have yet to try it.

Thermal tape, not like the stuff used for heatsinks?

Yeah, but in a tape form, not the gel/liquid. I guess it has uses in other hardware repairs as well. I haven't been bold enough to try it. Ive never actually done a heatsink repair so I am unsure of how it works.

I'm having the same issue with my iPad repairs. The clear tape never seems to hold more than a few months. The black tape works better than, but even then, I'm having mixed results.

If anyone knows of a superior adhesive, I'd LOVE to know about it.

Tesa Tape is know as the orginal "Red Tape" and there quality is superb. I have had no issues with Tesa Tape

Intellifix will be eternally grateful.