Early 2011 model, A1278 / 2.3 GHz i5 or 2.7 GHz i7 processor.

Why is my sound icon grayed out?

When I try to adjust the volume, the icon is grayed out. When I reboot, there is no chime. And when I go into the sound settings, it doesn't show an output. I have tried resetting the PRAM and the SMC.

Do I have to replace the speakers?

Any help would be appreciated.

Look into the headphone jack - do you see a read light?

i think you just need to restart the computer plug and unplug the headphone if this not work than visit http://goo.gl/RRSF7r . i hope this may help . thanks

Same case for me, in 2019 : my macbook pro 13" early 2013 has got this greyed out sound volume icon and all the solutions found on Internet and this thread did not work at all...

Has anyone solved this please?

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

iPhone Battery Fix Kits

Only $29.99

does it work with headphones connected? is there a red light on in the headphone port? if so, its stuck in digital audio mode... otherwise, its likely to be either a faulty with the logic board, or a possible software glitch. naturally its easier to start with the software, so try doing a clean install (on an external drive if you don't want to do one on your internal drive)

Mr., how can I do a clean install? Thx!

If you are running 10.7 or later, you can boot to the recovery partition by booting the machine while holding the 'Alt' key. then select the recovery partition.

If you are running 10.6, you'll have to use the original install disks that came with the machine

Most Helpful Answer

Plug your headphones back in.

Play a bit of sound through them (e.g., a song), then stop the sound.

Make sure Preferences is quit.

Launch Preferences and open the Sound pane.

While the Sound pane is open and set to Headphones, pull out the headphone plug from the jack.

It will reset itself to "Internal Speakers" and you are good to go...

this should work.as it worked for me

Worked perfectly

YES! Thank you!

Worked for me as well! Thanks! I was getting stressed out about it :)

Worked perfectly for me too! I tried doing a shortcut first, didn’t work. Followed the directions exactly as above and it worked. Thank you!

Thank you so much - tried a whole heap of things before I cam across your suggestion :) and it worked a treat!

Try manually deleting the following folder and doing a reboot.:

Library->Preferences: Audio

If this Answer is helpful please remember to return and mark it Accepted.

This didn't help. Still no sound, thank you for the suggestion.

did not help

I did a lot of thing for my MacBook early 2011 but finally this one fixed my audio issue. stunning work. thanks.

go to system preferences - audio - internal speakers and tick that box

mine did this today and this fixed it

This worked for me— but only when I did it using iTunes, which was the last thing I had used with the headphones before the sound went out.

You will need to use the device and possibly the jack you last used on the device output last used. In my case I used a Samsung Soundbar for a television set (testing it). Below are the steps that worked for me.

Step 1. Plug in device and jack last used that caused the issue.

Step 2. Play iTunes through the jack and device.

Step 3. Pause the sound.

Step 4. Launch System Preferences (make sure it was closed prior to step 1).

Step 5. Go to output tab.

Step 6a. Unplug the Jack and it will reset to internal speakers. (if not go to Step 6b)

Step 6b. While remaining on Output tab of system preferences, continue to plug and unplug the jack connected to the output device and it should reset itself after several attempts. You can always see the red indicator light as you insert in the jack and if the light is no longer present, you are successful and the output field will display the text Internal Speakers.

Good luck!

Noor will be eternally grateful.