The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

washer does not finish drain cycle

My washer has started to stop during the drain cycle. It sounds like the pump is running. When this happens, many times the door will not unlock. I have to unplug and replug the electric cord. Sometimes it works, other times, I have to do that several times before the cycle is complete.

Is there some kind of filter in the drain line that could be getting clogged?

Drain Pump

If the washer won't drain water the drain pump might be defective. It's also common for a small sock or other article of clothing to get caught in the drain pump or in the drain hose. Check both for an obstruction before replacing the pump.

Clogged Pump or Hose

If the washer won't drain there might be a clogged pump or hose. It's common for small socks or other small clothing items to get into the water drain system and clog the hose leading to the pump or the pump itself. Remove the hoses from the pump in order to remove the article of clothing. Keep in mind that any water in the washer will pour out of the hoses when removed.

Barry Howe, I would remove the drain plug from the filter at the water pump.

1. Take off the lower front panel.Remove the bottom front access panel just remove the 3 Torx screws on front bottom of machine. Slightly lift the panel and pull the bottom towards you

2. Turn the pump filter cover counter-clockwise by hand and remove. Place a bucket or pan underneath it since you will get the water spilling out of there. Removing the filter should remove all water from your washer.

Cleaned the filter and the machine still will not drain. So that must mean the hose or pump is clogged. I did wash some rugs with rubble backing and the filter was clogged but ithe plug must go farther.

I had the same issue where it would not drain. I discovered that it was the pump that was bad so I replaced it with a new one, same identical fit. I ran and emptied like a new machine for two washes and now every time it gets used, it immediately goes into the drain cycle non stop. Don't know what's wrong.

Barry Howe will be eternally grateful.