The Kenmore Elite HE3 is a washing machine by Kenmore.

washer does not finish drain cycle

My washer has started to stop during the drain cycle. It sounds like the pump is running. When this happens, many times the door will not unlock. I have to unplug and replug the electric cord. Sometimes it works, other times, I have to do that several times before the cycle is complete.

Is there some kind of filter in the drain line that could be getting clogged?

Drain Pump

If the washer won't drain water the drain pump might be defective. It's also common for a small sock or other article of clothing to get caught in the drain pump or in the drain hose. Check both for an obstruction before replacing the pump.

Clogged Pump or Hose

If the washer won't drain there might be a clogged pump or hose. It's common for small socks or other small clothing items to get into the water drain system and clog the hose leading to the pump or the pump itself. Remove the hoses from the pump in order to remove the article of clothing. Keep in mind that any water in the washer will pour out of the hoses when removed.

Barry Howe, I would remove the drain plug from the filter at the water pump.

1. Take off the lower front panel.Remove the bottom front access panel just remove the 3 Torx screws on front bottom of machine. Slightly lift the panel and pull the bottom towards you

2. Turn the pump filter cover counter-clockwise by hand and remove. Place a bucket or pan underneath it since you will get the water spilling out of there. Removing the filter should remove all water from your washer.

FIXED!! thank you for the great info, and yes the drain filter held about $20 in change , 50 nuts and bolts and so so much more hahaha. Having someone hold the washer as you lean it back to gain access and then simply open the filter was helpful , could be a 2 person job or have somthing you can prop the washer up with

Cleaned the filter and the machine still will not drain. So that must mean the hose or pump is clogged. I did wash some rugs with rubble backing and the filter was clogged but ithe plug must go farther.

I had the same issue where it would not drain. I discovered that it was the pump that was bad so I replaced it with a new one, same identical fit. I ran and emptied like a new machine for two washes and now every time it gets used, it immediately goes into the drain cycle non stop. Don't know what's wrong.

washer wont drain cleaned all hoses cleaned around rubber in door..changed the motor in the bottom of machine...still wont spin HELP.. swaindally@gmail.com

I have a Kenmore elite washer, Model # 417.41100000; Serial # 4C34503079 ...there is NO access panel! I think I will have to take off the entire right side panel to get to the drain filter or pump! I wish I had looked for a way to clean out this filter before buying it! The instructions say to clean out the filter once per month!!!

I have Kenmore 80 Series and it is not draining water out. my Washing machine is top load type. I googled and took some of the steps experts talked about. I checked the Hoses / Drain Pipe for any blockage - but there was none. I then checked the top cover switch and found it to be functional and in the end i thought it could be the Water Pump (the pastic piece that actually does not have motor in it - but works with Motor of the Washing machine. Anyhow after spending 50 Dollars -i still dont have a solution …… Any help / ideas may help me

note that the Rotation of Motor seems to be working (for washing - slow/fast etc ) - but water is not draining after doing the cleaning cycle….

Barry Howe will be eternally grateful.